PREPARATION OF MUCOADHESIVE GASTRORETENTIVE DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM OF ALGINATE BEADS CONTAINING TURMERIC EXTRACT AND ANTI-GASTRIC ULCER ACTIVITY
Objectives: The objectives of this study were to prepare the mucoadhesive mucoadhesive gastroretentive drug delivery system of alginate beads containing turmeric extract and to evaluate its anti-gastric effect.
Methods: Turmeric extract was made by macerating turmeric powder in ethanol 96% and evaporated using rotary evaporator at 50Â°C to obtained concentrated extract. Then, it was prepared alginate beads containing 5% turmeric extract by gelation method. The mucoadhesive properties of alginate beads containing turmeric extract were tested in vitro in male rats and the anti-gastric ulcer effect was tested on HCl-induced gastric ulcer in rats.
Results: The mean diameter of alginate beads obtained was 1.13Â±0.19 mm. Bioadhesion test showed that alginate beads containing turmeric extract could be attached on gastric rats mucosa. Anti-gastric ulcer test showed that the healing of gastric lesions in rats was faster using alginate beads containing turmeric extract compared to untreated ones.
Conclusions: The results of this study suggest that mucoadhesive drug delivery systems of alginate beads containing turmeric extract are potentially developed as an anti-gastric ulcer.
2. Mukerji B, Saidi SH, Singh GB. Species and gastric function: Part I. Effect of Curcuma longa on the gastric secretion in rabbits. J Sci Ind Res 1961;20:25-8.
3. Koosirirat C, Linpisam S, Changsom D, Chawansuntati K, Wipasa J. Investigation of the anti-inflammatory effect of Curcuma longa in Helicobacter pylori-infected patients. Int Immunopharm 2010;10:815-8.
4. Mahattanadul S, Nakamura T, Panichayupakaranant P, Phdoongsombut N, Tungsinmunkong K, Bouking P. Comparative antiulcer effect of bisdemethoxycurcumin and curcumin in a gastric ulcer model system. Phytomedicine 2009;16:342-51.
5. Farnsworth NR, Bunyapraphatsara T. Thai Medicinal Plants. 1st ed. Bangkok: MPIC; 1992. p. 402.
6. Sunil K, Amandeep K, Robin S, Ramica S. Peptic ulcer: A review on etiology and pathogenesis. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:34-5.
7. Anand P, Kunnumakkara AB, Newman RA, Aggarwal BB.Bioavailability of curcumin: Problems and promises. Mol Pharm 2002;4:807-18.
8. Jefferson W. The Healing Power of Tumeric. United States of America: Healthy Living Publications; 2015. p. 298-302.
9. Nayak AK, Maji R, Das B. Gastroretentive drug delivery system: A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:2-10.
10. Dhiman S, Singh TG, Rehni AK, Sood S, Arora S. Gastroretentive: A controlled release drug delivery system. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:5-13.
11. Shasank C, Prabha K, Sunil S, Kumar AV. Approaches to increase the gastric residence time: Floating drug delivery systems - A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:1-9.
12. Arianto A, Bangun H, Harahap U, Ilyas S. The comparison of swelling, mucoadhesive, and release of ranitidine from spherical matrices of alginate, chitosan, alginate-chitosan, and calcium alginate-chitosan. J Pharm Tech Res 2014;6:2054-63.
13. Arianto A, Bangun H, Harahap U, Ilyas S. Effect of alginate chitosan ratio on the swelling, mucoadhesive, and release of ranitidine from spherical matrices of alginate-chitosan. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2015;8:653-65.
14. Arianto A, Bangun H, Yohana A, Silalahi J. Floating gastroretentive of amoxicillin using hard alginate capsules and its antibacterial activities. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:413-9.
15. Adliani N, Bangun H, Karsono P. Preparation and evaluation of floating-mucoadhesive alginate beads as gastroretentive drug delivery system of antacids. Int J PharmTech Res 2016;9:212-22.
16. Siahaan DR, Bangun H, Sumaiyah I. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of floating gastroretentive drug delivery system of cimetidine using hard alginate capsules. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:162-8.
17. Vetter A, Schnurch AB. Bioadhesive Delivery Systems. Biodrug Delivery Systems: Fundamentals, Applications and Clinical Development. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2010. p. 220-1.
18. Reddy DR, Malleswari K, Prasad G, Prasanna D. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of lamivudine floating sodium alginate beads. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2012;4:81-8.
19. Petchsomrit A, Sermkaew N, Wiwattanapatapee R. Effect of alginate and surfactant on physical properties of oil entrapped alginate bead formulation of curcumin. Int J Med Health Biomed Bioeng Pharm Eng 2013;7:864-8.
20. Bangun H. Physico-Pharmaceutical Studies on Drug Binding to and Drug Release from Alginate. Tokushima: Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokushima; 1990. p. 44-6.
21. Lenaerts VM, Gurny R. Bioadhesive Drug Delivery Systems. Florida: CRC Press, Ic.; 1990. p. 46.
22. Gaserod O, Jolliffe G, Hampson FC, Dettmar PW, Skjak-Braek, G. The enhancement of the bioadhesive properties of calcium alginate gel beads by coating with chitosan. Int J Pharm 1998;175:237-46.
23. Arianto H, Bangun H. Healing effect of alginate liquid against HCl-induced gastric mucosal lesions in rats. Int J PharmTech Res 2016;9:287-96.
24. Grant GT, Morris ER, Rees DA, Smith PJ, Thom D. Biological interactions between polysaccharides and divalent cations â€“ Egg-box Model. Febs Lett 1973;32:195-8.
25. Smidsrod O, Skjak-Brik G. Alginate as immobilization matrix for cells. Trend Biotechnol 1990;8:71-8.
26. Yu T, Andrews, GP, Jones, DS. Mucoadhesion and characterization of mucoadhesive properties. In: Mucosal Delivery of Biopharmaceuticals: Biology, Challenges and Strategies. New York: Springers; 2014. p. 35-43.
27. Sherwood L. Human Physiology: From Cells to System. Jakarta: EGC; 2001. p. 538-60.
28. Isselbacher H. Harrisonâ€™s Principles of Internal Medicine. Jakarta: EGC; 2000. p. 1532-49.
29. Mani H, Sidho GS, Kumari R, Gaddipati JP, Seth P, Maheshwari RK. Curcumin differentially regulates TGF-beta1, Its receptors and nitric oxide synthase during impaired wound healing. Biofactors 2002;16:29-43.
30. Milano S, Calabro S. Role of growth factors and their receptors in gastric ulcer healing. Microsc Res Tech 2001;53:360-71.