A COMPARATIVE SCREENING AND EVALUATION OF THE TOTAL PHENOLICS, FLAVONOIDS, AND ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES IN THE SEED EXTRACTS OF PUNICA GRANATUM L., PSIDIUM GUAJAVA L., AND VITIS VINIFERA L.
Objectives: The synthetic antioxidants produce numerous adverse effects to overcome these adverse effects and the use of natural products is the alternative. In this study, the evaluation of total phenolics, flavonoid contents, and antioxidant properties of Punica granatum, Psidium guajava, and Vitis vinifera seed extracts was done.
Methods: The total phenolic content was estimated with gallic acid equivalent and the total flavonoid contents were estimated on quercetin equivalent. For the antioxidant properties of selected seed extracts, the 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging, ferrous reducing power, and hydrogen peroxide radical scavenging assays were followed to find the free radical scavenging ability of the selected seed extracts.
Results: The ethyl acetate extract of P. granatum seed contains higher phenolic content (70.25±1.25 μg/ml) and flavonoid content (58.15±1.85 μg/ml) and possesses a high free radical scavenging ability. Based on the inhibitory effects of fruit seeds against synthetic radicals, they can be ranked as P. granatum>P. guajava>V. vinifera.
Conclusion: According to overall observations of the study, the pomegranate seed extract contains a higher level of phenolic and flavonoid contents and shows a higher scavenging effect against free radicals among the others seeds. Phytochemical screening showed that the ethyl acetate extract of pomegranate fruit seed possesses more secondary metabolites compared to other seed extracts.
2. Hitayezu R, Baakdah MM, Kinnin J, Henderson K, Tsopmo A. Antioxidant activity, avenanthramide and phenolic acid contents of oat milling fractions. J Cereal Sci 2015;63:35-40.
3. Ashraf A, Sarfraz RA, Rashid MA, Shahid M. Antioxidant, antimicrobial, antitumor, and cytotoxic activities of an important medicinal plant (Euphorbia royleana) from Pakistan. J Food Drug Anal 2015;23:109-15.
4. Yadav SA, Ramalingam S, Jebamalairaj A, Subban R, Sundaram KM. Biochemical fingerprint and pharmacological applications of Barleria noctiflora Lf leaves. J Complement Integr Med 2016;13:365-76.
5. Zhang Z, Kong F, Ni H, Mo Z, Wan JB, Hua D, et al. Structural characterization, ?-glucosidase inhibitory and DPPH scavenging activities of polysaccharides from guava. Carbohydr Polym 2016;144:106-14.
6. Widyawati PS, Budianta TD, Gunawan DI, Wongso RS. Evaluation antidiabetic activity of various leaf extracts of Pluchea indica Less. IJPPR 2015;7:597-603.
7. Muredzi ED. Food is Medicine-An Introduction to Neutraceuticals. London: Academic Press; 2013.
8. Mishra A, Mishra AK, Jain SK. Anticonvulsant activity of Cleome viscosa seed extracts in Swiss albino mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2010;2:177-81.
9. Trease GE, Evans WC. Textbook of Pharmacognosy. London: Academic Press; 1989.
10. Harborne JB. Phytochemical Methods: A Guide to Modern Technique of Plant Analysis. London: Chapman and Hall; 1973.
11. Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos RM. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol 1999;299:152-78.
12. Yadav SA, Raj AJ, Sathishkumar R. In vitro antioxidant activity of Barleria noctiflora L. f. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:S716-22.
13. Marinova D, Ribarova F, Atanassova M. Total phenolics and total flavonoids in Bulgarian fruits and vegetables. JUCTM 2005;40:255-60.
14. Zhu Y, Li T, Fu X, Abbasi AM, Zheng B, Shahidi F. Phenolics content, antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of dehulled highland barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). J Funct Foods 2015;19:439-50.
15. Pu X, Ma X, Liu L, Ren J, Li H, Li X, et al. Structural characterization and antioxidant activity in vitro of polysaccharides from Angelica and Astragalus. Carbohydr Polym 2016;137:154-64.
16. Manquian-Cerda K, Escudey M, Zuniga G, Arancibia-Miranda N, et al. Effect of cadmium on phenolic compounds, antioxidant enzyme activity and oxidative stress in blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) plantlets grown in vitro. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 2016;133:316-26.
17. Garcimartin A, Lopez-Oliva ME, Gonzaez MP, Sanchez-Muniz FJ, Benedi J. Hydrogen peroxide modifies both activity and isoforms of acetylcholinesterase in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells. Redox Biol 2017;12:719-26.
18. Yadav SA, Ramalingam S, Raj AJ, Subban R. Antihistamine from Tragia involucrata L. leaves. J Complement Integr Med 2015;12:217 26.
19. Ghaima KK, Hashim NM, Ali SA. Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of ethyl acetate extract of nettle (Urtica dioica) and dandelion (Taraxacum officinale). J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3:96.
20. Skrovankova S, Sumczynski D, Mlcek J, Jurikova T, Sochor J. Bioactive compounds and antioxidant activity in different types of berries. Int J Mol Sci 2015;16:24673-706.
21. Priya SH, Prakasan N, Purushothaman J. Antioxidant activity, phenolic-flavonoid content and high-performance liquid chromatography profiling of three different variants of Syzygium cumini seeds: A comparative study. J Intercult Ethnopharm 2017;6:107.
22. Derakhshan Z, Ferrante M, Tadi M, Ansari F, Heydari A, Hosseini MS, et al. Antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of ethanolic extract of pomegranate peels, juice and seeds. Food Chem Toxicol 2018;114:108-11.
23. Jara-Palacios MJ, Hernanz D, Escudero-Gilete ML, Heredia FJ. Antioxidant potential of white grape pomaces: Phenolic composition and antioxidant capacity measured by spectrophotometric and cyclic voltammetry methods. Food Res Int 2014;66:150-7.
24. Qasim M, Abideen Z, Adnan MY, Gulzar S, Gul B, Rasheed M, et al. Antioxidant properties, phenolic composition, bioactive compounds and nutritive value of medicinal halophytes commonly used as herbal teas. S Afri J Bot 2017;110:240-50.
25. Barcia MT, Pertuzatti PB, Rodrigues D, Gomez-Alonso S, Hermosin-Gutierrez I, et al. Occurrence of low molecular weight phenolics in Vitis vinifera red grape cultivars and their winemaking by-products from Sao Paulo (Brazil). Food Res Int 2014;62:500-13.
26. Lei Y, Chen Q, Chen J, Liu D. Potential ameliorative effects of grape seed-derived polyphenols against cadmium induced prostatic deficits. Biomed Pharm 2017;91:707-13.
27. Wozniak L, Sk?pska S, Marsza?ek K. Ursolic acid a pentacyclic triterpenoid with a wide spectrum of pharmacological activities. Molecules 2015;19:20614-41.
28. Giampieri F, Alvarez-Suarez JM, Mazzoni L, Forbes-Hernandez TY, Gasparrini M, Gonzalez-Paramas AM, et al. An anthocyanin-rich strawberry extract protects against oxidative stress damage and improves mitochondrial functionality in human dermal fibroblasts exposed to an oxidizing agent. Food Funct 2014;5:1939-48.
29. Drosou C, Kyriakopoulou K, Bimpilas A, Tsimogiannis D, Krokida M. A comparative study on different extraction techniques to recover red grape pomace polyphenols from vinification byproducts. Ind Crops Prod 2015;75:141-9.
30. Dudonne S, Vitrac X, Coutiere P, Woillez M, Meerillon JM. Comparative study of antioxidant properties and total phenolic content of 30 plant extracts of industrial interest using DPPH, ABTS, FRAP, SOD, and ORAC assays. J Agric Food Chem 2009;57:1768-74.
31. Chua LS, Lau CH, Chew CY, Ismail NI, Soontorngun N. Phytochemical profile of Orthosiphon aristatus extracts after storage: Rosmarinic acid and other caffeic acid derivatives. Phytomedicine 2018;39:49-55.
32. Jacobo Velazquez DA, Cisneros Zevallos L. Correlations of antioxidant activity against phenolic content revisited: A new approach in data analysis for food and medicinal plants. J Food Sci 2009;74:107 13.
33. Songsermsakul P, Pornphairin E, Porasuphatana S. Comparison of antioxidant activity of grape seed extract and fruits containing high ?-carotene, Vitamin C, and E. Int J Food Prop 2013;16:643-8.
34. Trepiana J, Ruiz-Larrea MB, Ruiz-Sanz JI. Unraveling the in vitro antitumor activity of Vismia baccifera against HepG2: Role of hydrogen peroxide. Heliyon 2018;4:e00675.
35. Tournour HH, Segundo MA, Magalhaes LM, Barreiros L, Queiroz J, et al. Valorization of grape pomace: Extraction of bioactive phenolics with antioxidant properties. Ind Crops Prod 2015;74:397-406.
36. Durdevic S, Savikin K, Zivkovic J, Bohm V, Stanojkovic T, Damjanovic A, et al. Antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of fatty oil isolated by supercritical fluid extraction from microwave pretreated seeds of wild growing Punica granatum L. J Supercrit Fluids 2018;133:225-32.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.