NEW MOLECULAR MECHANISM OF CEFTAZIDIME-INDUCED HUMAN RED BLOOD CELL HEMOLYSIS THROUGH THE PHOTOHEMOLYSIS REACTION
Objective: The present study was undertaken to investigate the photohemolysis reaction through photosensitization reaction by ceftazidime as a photosensitizer in human red blood cell (RBC).
Methods: In this present study, human erythrocytes have used a sample. The sample then divided into six groups consisting of Group 1 (T1) served a negative control which consists of erythrocytes and buffers phosphate with pH 6.8; Group 2 (T2) served as a positive control which consists erythrocytes and buffers phosphate with pH 6.8 and exposed to UV-light; and Group 3, 4, 5, and 6 (T3, T4, T5, and T6) served as an experimental group which consists of erythrocytes, buffer phosphate with pH 6.8, ceftazidime with concentration 10%, 20%, 30%, and 40%, respectively, and also exposed to UV-light. UV-light exposure was done in 2 h. After the treatment period, the level of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), conjugated diene (CD), advanced oxidation protein products (AOPPs), and percentage of RBC hemolysis (RBCH) were measured.
Results: The results of this present studies showed that ceftazidime significantly increases the levels of H2O2, CD, AOPPs, and percentage of RBCH during the UV radiation.
Conclusion: The present study demonstrated that ceftazidime acts as a photosensitizer and induced the photohemolysis reaction in human RBC. Furthermore, the hemolysis of RBC seems through the protein damage than lipid damage.
2. Karlsson I. Chemical and Dermatological Aspects of UV-Absorbing Compounds [dissertation]. Goteborg (Sweden): University of Gothenburg; 2011.
3. Onoue S, Seto Y, Oishi A, Yamada S. Novel methodology for predicting photogenotoxic risk of pharmaceutical substances based on reactive oxygen species (ROS) and DNA-binding assay. J Pharm Sci 2009;98:3647-58.
4. Quintero B, Miranda MA. Mechanisms of photosensitization induced by drugs: A general survey. Ars Pharm 2000;41:27-46.
5. Shivanna V, Nilegaonkar R. Photodynamics in dentistry. CODS J Dent 2015;7:13-8.
6. Gill L, Lim HW. Drug-induced photosensitivity. In: Hall JC, Hall BL, editors. Cutaneous Drug Eruptions: Diagnosis, Histopathology and Therapy. London: Springer-Verlag London; 2015. p. 107-21.
7. Wijesooriya C, Budai M, Budai L, Szilasi ME, Petrikovics I.Optimization of liposomal encapsulation for ceftazidime for developing a potential eye drop formulation. J Basic Clin Pharm 2013;4:73-5.
8. Arndt PA. Drug-induced immune hemolytic anemia: The last 30 years of changes. Immunohematology 2014;30:44-54.
9. Rao KV. Drug-Induced Hematologic Disorders. New York: McGraw- Hill; 2014. p. 359-74.
10. Yunanto A, Iskandar, Suhartono E. In-vitro effects of some antibiotic drugs on saliva thiocyanate and oxidation protein products levels on newborn at risk of sepsis. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8:86-9.
11. Karantika EA, Edyson S, Suhartono E. Kinetic parameters analysis of liver and kidney catalase under the influence of cadmium (Cd) and mercury (Hg) in vitro. J Trop Life Sci 2016;6:65-8.
12. Recknagel A, Steiner A, Brooker S, Stalke D, Edelmann FT. Organolanthanide (II) chemistry: Synthesis and structure of [Cp*2Sm(- OC)2FeCp*]2. Chem Ber 1991;124:1373-5.
13. Suhartono E, Yunanto A, Hartoyo E, Kania N, Utama AA, Sari RK, et al. UV-Visible spectrophotometric as a prospective tool in neonatal sepsis. Indones Biomed J 2018 Article in Press.
14. Noudeh GD, Sharififar F, Khatib M, Behravan E, Afzadi MA. Study of aqueous extract of three medicinal plants on cell membraneâ€“ permeabilizing and their surface properties. Afr J Biotechnol 2010;9:110-6.
15. Nayak P. Commonly used photosensitizing medications: Their adverse effects and precautions to be considered. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;4:135-40.
16. Mashuri M, Ruhullah M, Putera BD, Mega VP, Putra FA, Suhartono E. The role of ceftazidime as a photosensitizer in human erythrocytes through oxidative stress mechanism. Indones Biomed J 2018. Article in Press.
17. Meksiarun P, Maeda Y, Hiroi T, Andriana BB, Sato H. Analysis of the effects of dietary fat on body and skin lipids of hamsters by Raman spectroscopy. Analyst 2015;140:4238-44.
18. Colak E. New markers of oxidative damage to macromolecules. JMB 2008;27:1-16.
19. Ma Y, Zhang L, Rong S, Qu H, Zhang Y, Chang D, et al. Relation between gastric cancer and protein oxidation, DNA damage, and lipid peroxidation. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2013;2013:543760.