PUBLIC HEALTH HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH NATURALLY OCCURRING TOXINS IN LEGUME SEEDS - RAPID DETECTION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF A LECTIN FROM A KOREAN CULTIVATED KIDNEY BEAN (PHASEOLUS VULGARIS L.)
Objective: The delicacy of kidney beans is highly appreciable but, at the same time, their toxicity has raised an alarming concern. In this regard, more public awareness is needed about bean poisoning.
Methods: This work aimed at promptly investigating the chemical and biological properties of a lectin derived from a Korean cultivar of the common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.).
Results: Sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis revealed the presence of two major polypeptide bands around 31.00 kDa. Hemagglutination assay and Ouchterlony double immunodiffusion technique confirmed the presence of lectin in dry seeds.
Conclusion: It was evident that the Korean bean cultivar contains biologically active lectins, which may pose a risk to the consumer if the beans are eaten in raw or undercooked state.
2. Muzquiz M, Varela A, Burbano C, Cuadrado C, GuillamÃ³n E, Pedrosa MM. Bioactive compounds in legumes: Pronutritive and antinutritive actions Implications for nutrition and health. Phytochem Rev 2012;11:227-44.
3. Nciri N, Cho N, El Mhamdi F, Ben Ismail H, Ben Mansour A, Sassi FH, et al. Toxicity assessment of common beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) widely consumed by Tunisian population. J Med Food 2015;18:1049 64.
4. Shang R, Wu H, Guo R, Liu Q, Pan L, Li J, et al. The diversity of four anti-nutritional in common bean. Horticult Plant J 2016;2:97-104.
5. Greer F, Brewer AC, Pusztai A. Effect of kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) toxin on tissue weight and composition and some metabolic functions of rats. Br J Nutr 1985;54:95-103.
6. Bardocz S, Grant G, Pusztai A. The effect of phytohaemagglutinin at different dietary concentrations on the growth, body composition and plasma insulin of the rat. Br J Nutr 1996;76:613-26.
7. Nciri N, Cho N, Bergaoui N, El Mhamdi F, Ben Ammar A, Trabelsi N, et al. Effect of white kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L. Var. Beldia) on small intestine morphology and function in wistar rats. J Med Food 2015;18:1387-99.
8. Banwell JG, Abramowsky CR, Weber F, Howard R, Boldt DH. Phytohemagglutinin-induced diarrheal disease. Dig Dis Sci 1984;29:921-9.
9. Pusztai A, Palmer R. Nutritional evaluation of kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris): The toxic principle. J Sci Food Agr 1977;28:620-3.
10. Nciri N, Cho N, El Mhamdi F, Ben Mansour A, Haj Sassi F, Ben Aissa-Fennira F, et al. Identification and characterization of phytohemagglutinins from white kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L. var. Beldia) in the rat small intestine. J Med Food 2016;19:85-97.
11. Wang H, Gao J, Ng TB. A new lectin with highly potent antihepatoma and antisarcoma activities from the oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2000;275:810-6.
12. Harboe N, Ingild A. 23. Immunization, isolation of immunoglobulins, estimation of antibody titre. Immunology 1973;2:161-4.
13. Ouchterlony O. Antigen-antibody reactions in gels. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand 1949;26:507-15.
14. Itoh M, Kondo K, Komada H, Izutsu K, Shimabayashi Y, Takahashi T. Purification and characterization of a lectin from Phaseolus vulgaris seed. Agr Biol Chem 1980;44:125-33.
15. Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976;72:248-54.
16. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970;227:680-5.
17. Michaels TE. The legumes and pseudocerealsâ€“grain legumes and their dietary impact: Overview. In: Wrigley C, Corke H, Seetharaman K, Faubion J, editors. Encyclopedia of Food Grainsâ€“The World of Food Grains, 2nd ed. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science and Technology; 2016. P. 265-73.
18. Yin SW, Tang CH, Wen QB, Yang XQ, Li L. Functional properties and in vitro trypsin digestibility of red kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) protein isolate: Effect of high-pressure treatment. Food Chem 2008;110:938-45.
19. Ren J, Shi J, Kakuda Y, Kim D, Xue SJ, Zhao M, et al. Phytohemagglutinin isolectins extracted and purified from red kidney beans and its cytotoxicity on human H9 lymphoma cell line. Sep Purif Technol 2008;63:122-8.