THE EFFECTIVENESS OF SNAIL MUCUS (ACHATINA FULICA) AND CHITOSAN TOWARD LIMFOSIT PROLIFERATION IN VITRO
Objective: The objective of this research was to assess the effectiveness of mucous and chitin slime cream against lymphocyte proliferation in vitro.
Methods: The research methods include snail mucus isolation, snail mucus cream material preparation, and lymphocyte cell proliferation test of 3-(4,5-Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) reduction method.
Results: Lymphocyte cell proliferation test of MTT reduction method showed that chitosan 5% gave the most effective result toward lymphocyte proliferation activity compared to 100% snail slime and 5% snail slime cream. The 5% snail mucus cream 5% provides a higher proliferative activity than the 100% snail mucus. Positive control using Con A solution. Negative control was treatment without addition of test solution. The differences in lymphocyte proliferation activity were due to the presence of active compounds in chitosan, snail mucus, and snail slime cream that potentially increase lymphocyte proliferation. Significant differences in lymphocyte cell proliferation as Group K1, K2, K3, K4, K5, and K6.
Conclusion: The effectiveness of snail and chitosan slime cream toward lymphocyte proliferation by in vitro that chitosan 5% gave the most effective result toward lymphocyte proliferation activity compared to 100% snail slime and 5% snail slime cream.
2. Harti AS, Haryati DS, Setyaningsih WS, Yatmihatun S. The potential Chito-Oligo-saccharide (COS) as natural prebiotic and preservatives on synbiotic tofu in Indonesia. Int J Pharm Med Biol Sci 2015;4:204-8.
3. Berniyanti T, Suwarno B. Characterization of snail slime protein (Achasin) isolate local as antibacterial factor. J Vet Media 2007;23:139 44.
4. Depamede S, Rosyidi A. Inhibition of Balb/c lymphocyteâ€™s proliferation inhibition by balinese cyst testis extract: The role of TGF-Î². Livestock Media 2009;2009:95-103.
5. Mossmann, T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
6. Yang Z, Xiong HR. Culture conditions and types of growth media for mammalian cells. In: Nelli LC, Matteoli E, editors. Biomedical Tissue Culture. Croatia: Intech Publisher, Open Acsess Company; 2012. p. 11.
7. Maciver NJ, Jacobs SR, Wieman HL, Wofford JA, Coloff JL, Rathmell JC, et al. Glucose metabolism in lymphocytes is a regulated process with significant effects on immune cell function and survival. J Leukoc Biol 2008;84:949-57.
8. Harti AS, Nurhidayati A, Handayani D, Kusumawati HN, Haryati DS. The fortification tempeh of rice bran chitosan as functional food antihy-percholesterolemia in Indonesia. Int J Biosci Biochem Bioinform 2014;4:423-7.
9. Harti AS, Nurhidayati A, Handayani D. The potential of rice bran and chito oligosaccharide as natural prebiotic on traditional tempe in Indonesia. Int J Biosci Biochem Bioinform 2013;3:654-6.
10. Vieira TC, Costa-Filho A, Salgado NC, Allodi S, Valente AP, Nasciutti LE, et al. Acharan sulfate, the new glycosaminoglycan from Achatina fulica Bowdich 1822. Structural heterogeneity, metabolic labeling and localization in the body, mucus and the organic shell matrix. Eur J Biochem 2004;271:845-54.
11. Perez WP, Dina F, Iwang Y. Effect of mucus snail (Achatina fulica) against total cells fibroblasts on incision wound healing skin of mice (Mus musculus). J Vet Med Sci Health 2012;4:195-203.
12. Ali GP. Rapid Comparative Test of Net Wound Healing in Rabbit Lepus negricollis (negricollis) between Provision of 10% Povidone iodine Solution and Snail Mucus (Achatina fulica). Thesis, Medical Faculty of Tandulako University; 2009.
13. Zulaechah S. The Difference between Sayat Speed Wound Healing using Snail Slime (Achatina fulica) with 10% Povidone Iodine in Wound Care on Mice (Mus musculus). Yogyakarta: Thesis, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Muhammadiyah University; 2010.
14. Harti AS, Sulisetyawati SD, Murharyati A, Oktariani M, Wijayanti IB. The effectiveness of snail slime and chitosan in wound healing. Int J Pharm Med Biol Sci 2016;5:76-80.
15. Kozier B, Taylor CR. Fundamental of Nursing. 7th ed. New Jersey: Education Inc.; 2004. p. 856-62.
16. Mandala AP, Agnes SH. Provision of 100% Snail Mucus (Achantina fulica) and 5% Cream Preparation for Long-Term Healing Wound Healing (grade a) in vivo. Surakarta: Final Report, Departement of NURSING, Kusuma Husada Surakarta School of Health Science; 2014.
17. Johnson KE. Quick Review of Histology and Cell Biology. South Tangerang: Binarupa Publishing; 2011.