CLASSIFICATION OF BIPOLAR DISORDER, MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER, AND HEALTHY STATE USING VOICE
Objective: In this study, we propose a voice index to identify healthy individuals, patients with bipolar disorder, and patients with major depressive disorder using polytomous logistic regression analysis.
Methods: Voice features were extracted from voices of healthy individuals and patients with mental disease. Polytomous logistic regression analysis was performed for some voice features.
Results: With the prediction model obtained using the analysis, we identified subject groups and were able to classify subjects into three groups with 90.79% accuracy.
Conclusion: These results show that the proposed index may be used as a new evaluation index to identify depression.
2. Izawa S, Sugaya N, Shirotsuki K, Yamada KC, Ogawa N, Ouchi Y, et al. Salivary dehydroepiandrosterone secretion in response to acute psychosocial stress and its correlations with biological and psychological changes. Biol Psychol 2008;79:294-8.
3. Sekiyama A. Interleukin-18 is Involved in Alteration of Hipothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis Activity by Stress. Society of Biological Psychiatry Annual Meeting (San Diego); 2007.
4. Garcia RG, Valenza G, Tomaz CA, Barbieri R. Instantaneous bispectral analysis of heartbeat dynamics for the assessment of major depression. Computing Cardiol (Nice) 2015;42:781-784.
5. Acharya UR, Sudarshan VK, Adeli H, Santhosh J, Koh JE, Puthankatti SD, et al. A novel depression diagnosis index using non-linear features in EEG signals. Eur Neurol 2015;74:79-83.
6. Goldberg DP. Manual of the General Health Questionnaire. Windsor: NFER Publishing; 1978.
7. Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An inventory for measureing depression. Arch General Psychiatry 1961;4:561-71.
8. Delgado-Rodriguez M, Llorca J. Bias. J Epidemiol Commun Health 2004;58:635-41.
9. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th ed. Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Association; 2013.
10. Higuchi M, Shinohara S, Nakamura M, Omiya Y, Hagiwara N, Mitsuyoshi S, et al. Study on Depression Evaluation Indicator in the Elderly using Sensibility Technology. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies for Ageing Well and e-Health (Porto); 2017. p. 70-7.
11. Shinohara S, Mitsuyoshi S, Nakamura M, Omiya Y, Tsumatori G, Tokuno S. Validity of a Voice-based Evaluation Method for Effectiveness of Behavioural Therapy. Parvasive Computing Paradigms for Mental Health, 5th International Conference, MindCare 2015, Milan, Italy, September 24-25, 2015, Revised Selected Papers. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing; 2016. p. 604, 43-51.
12. Tokuno S, Mitsuyoshi S, Suzuki G, Tsumatori G. Stress Evaluation by Voice: A Novel Stress Evaluation Technology. The 9th International Conference on Early Psychosis (Tokyo); 2014. p. 17-9.
13. Nakamura M, Omiya Y, Shinohara S, Mitsuyoshi S, Higuchi M, Hagiwara N, et al. Feasibility Study of Classifying Major Depressive Disorder and Bipolar Disorders using Voice Features. WPA XVII World Congress of Psychiatry (Berlin); 2017.
14. Agresti A. Categorical Data Analysis. 3rd ed. New Jersey: Wiley- Interscience; 2012.
15. Venables WN, Ripley BD. Modern Applied Statistics with S. 4th ed. New York: Springer; 2002.
16. Sheehan DV, Lecrubier Y, Sheehan KH, Amorim P, Janavs J, Weiller E, et al. The Mini-international neuropsychiatric interview (M.I.N.I): The development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10. J Clin Psychiatry 1998;59 Suppl 20:22-33.
17. Hamilton M. A rating scale for depression. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1960;23:56-62.
18. Young RC, Biggs JT, Ziegler VE, Meyer DA. A rating scale for mania: Reliability, validity and sensitivity. Br J Psychiatry 1978;133:429-35.
19. Eyben F, WÃ¶llmer M, Schuller B. openSMILEâ€“The Munich Versatile and Fast Open-Source Audio Feature Extractor, Proceedings of the 18th ACM international conference on Multimedia (Firenze); 2010;1459-1462.
20. Steel RG. A rank sum test for comparing all pairs of treatments. Technometrics 1960;2:197-207.
21. R Core Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Vienna: R Core Team; 2017. Available from: https://www.R-project.org/. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep 18].
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.