ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF SOME NEWLY PREPARED SYMMETRICALLY AZO DYES DERIVED FROM SULFA DRUGS
Objective: Sulfa drugs (sulfonamides) were the first type of drugs largely medically used for preventive and chemotherapeutic agents against various types of diseases. To the date, much research has been directed toward the synthesis sulfa drug derivatives such as azo‑sulfa drug compounds. The aim of the present study is to synthesize of azo‑sulfa compounds as antioxidant agents.
Methods: First, three of sulfa drugs react with 4‑methoxy‑1,2‑Naphthoquinone in aqueous medium by stirring at room temperature to give symmetrically azo‑sulfa compounds. The colored compounds which formed were examined their structures by infrared and proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectral techniques.
Results: Three symmetrically azo‑sulfa compounds were tested as antioxidant agents compared with ascorbic acid (AA) using 2,2‑diphenyl‑1‑picrylhydrazyl method. The results indicated that these compounds had good activities (57.79–73.69%) at 30 μg/ml, which had less activity than AA (81.34%) at the same concentration. These results referred the IC50 which had values (15.23–21.35 μg/ml), whereas AA had 7.59 μg/ml.
Conclusion: Attachment of heterocyclic rings containing nitrogen and oxygen (isoxazole) on the azo‑sulfa compounds can enhance the antioxidant activity as compared with the heterocyclic rings containing nitrogen only (pyrimidine) and without heterocyclic rings, which enhanced the lipophilicity which may increase the bioavailability and efficacy of the drug.
2. Chibale K, Haupt H, Kendrick H, Yardley V, Saravanamuthu A, Fairlamb AH, et al. Antiprotozoal and cytotoxicity evaluation of sulfonamide and urea analogues of quinacrine. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2001;11:2655 7.
3. Ali SA, Jabbir AH, Mohsie RA. Synthesis of some sulfa drug derivatives as antibacterial agents. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2016;5:75 83.
4. Brown MA, De Vito SC. Predicting azo dye toxicity. Crit Rev Environ Sci Technol 1993;23:249 324.
5. Sahoo J, Paidesetty SK. Medicinal interest of azo bases organic compounds: A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:33 9.
6. Gil C. MSc Thesis. Toxicological Effects of Food Additives Azo Dyes. Department of Biomedicine and Veterinary Public Health, Division of Pathology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences; 2014.
7. Akar Z, Küçük M, Do?an H. A new colorimetric DPPH• scavenging activity method with no need for a spectrophotometer applied on synthetic and natural antioxidants and medicinal herbs. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 2017;32:640 7.
8. Li X, Wu X, Huang L. Correlation between antioxidant activities and phenolic contents of radix Angelicae sinensis (Danggui). Molecules 2009;14:5349 61.
9. Gu I, Huyut Z, Elmastas M, Aboul Enein HY. Radical scavenging and antioxidant activity of tannic acid. Arab J Chem 2010;3:43 53.
10. Santos MC, Gonçalves ÉC. Effect of different extracting solvents on antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds of a fruit and vegetable residue flour. Sci Agropecu 2017;7:7 14.
11. Kumawat BK, Gupta M, Singh Y. Free radical scavenging effect of various extracts of leaves of Balanites aegyptiaca (L.) Delile by DPPH method. Asian J Plant Sci Res 2012;2:323 9.
12. Saha MR, Hasan SM, Akter R, Hossain MM, Alam MS, Alam MA, et al. In vitro free radical scavenging activity of methanol extract of the leaves of Mimusops elengi Linn. Bangladesh J Vet Med 2008;6:197 202.
13. Fayadh RH, Ali AA, Al Jabri FM. Synthesis and identification symmetrically azo dyes derived from sulfa compounds and spectrophotometric study of nickel (II) complexes with prepared dyes. Int J Eng Tech Res 2015;3:24 8.
14. Proestos C, Lytoudi K, Mavromelanidou OK, Zoumpoulakis P, Sinanoglou VJ. Antioxidant capacity of selected plant extracts and their essential oils. Antioxidants (Basel) 2013;2:11 22.
15. Gaber AE, El Gaby MS, El Dean AM, Eyada HA, Al Kamali AS. Synthesis of novel polyfunctionally substituted thieno[2,3 c] pyridazines. J Chin Chem Soc 2004;51:1325 31.
16. Al Sahlanee TM, Al Amery M. Synthesis, characterization, antioxidant and anticancer human studies of new metal ion complexes of poly schiff base derived from 4 aminoacetophenone with salicylaldehyde and 4 bromoaniline. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:489 93.
17. Silverstein RM, Webster FX. Spectroscopic Identification of Organic Compounds. 6th ed. New York: John Wiley and Sons; 1998.
18. Hossain MM, Shaha SK, Aziz F. Antioxidant potential study of some synthesized N heterocycles. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull 2009;35:49 52.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.