IN VITRO AND IN VIVO STUDIES OF ANTIHYPERURICEMIC AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY FROM BULBS OF BAWANG TIWAI (ELEUTHERINE PALMIFOLIA (L.) MERR.) FROM INDONESIA
Objectives: This study would like to investigate the in vitro antioxidant activity through 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl assay and in vitro xanthine oxidase activity of the bulbs. This study performs in vivo assays to study the antihyperuricemic activity and antioxidant in the hyperuricemic rat through plasma malondialdehyde measurement.
Method: The study was conducted by testing the fresh bulbs of bawang tiwai (Eleutherine palmifolia (L.) Merr. with chemical solvent of ethanol 70% to extract the bulbs. Allopurinol and Vitamin C were used as positive control for the antihyperuricemic assay and antioxidant assay, respectively. Other chemical substances were also used in this study. This study used chicken extract (Brands) 20 ml/kg/body weight to induce the level of uric acid in the blood serum, and potassium oxonate (Sigma 156124) to inhibit the uricase in rats.
Results: The results show that the levels of uric acid were measured using spectrophotometer with dichloro-hydroxybenzen sulfonate (Biolabo) a as reagent. The ethanol extract of bawang tiwai (EBT) (E. palmifolia (L.) Merr) was potential to reduce uric acid level at 140, 280, and 560 mg/kg body weight, but possibly without inhibition against xanthine oxydase activity.
Conclusion: All doses of EBT could inhibit lipid peroxidation in hyperuricemic condition caused by high purine diet in 14 days.
2. Hudaib MM, Tawaha KA, Mohammad MK, Assaf AM, Issa AY, Alali FQ, et al. Xanthine oxidase inhibitory activity of the methanolic extracts of selected jordanian medicinal plants. Pharmacogn Mag 2011;7:320-4.
3. KostiÄ‡ DA, DimitrijeviÄ‡ DS, StojanoviÄ‡ GS, PaliÄ‡ IR, DordeviÄ‡ AS, Ickovski JD. Xanthine oxidase: Isolation, assays of activity, and inhibition. J Chem 2015;2015:8.
4. Lin S, Zhang G, Liao Y, Pan J, Gong D. Dietary flavonoids as xanthine oxidase inhibitors: Structure-affinity and structure-activity relationships. J Agric Food Chem 2015;63:7784-94.
5. Cos P, Ying L, Calomme M, Hu JP, Cimanga K, Van Poel B, et al. Structure-activity relationship and classification of flavonoids as inhibitors of xanthine oxidase and superoxide scavengers. J Nat Prod 1998;61:71-6.
6. Mo SF, Zhou F, Lv YZ, Hu QH, Zhang DM, Kong LD, et al. Hypouricemic action of selected flavonoids in mice: Structure-activity relationships. Biol Pharm Bull 2007;30:1551-6.
7. Yu Z, Fong WP, Cheng CH. The dual actions of morin (3,5,7,2â€™,4â€™-pentahydroxyflavone) as a hypouricemic agent: Uricosuric effect and xanthine oxidase inhibitory activity. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2006;316:169-75.
8. Upadhyay A, Chattopadhyay P, Goyary D, Mazumder PM, Veer V. Eleutherine indica L. Accelerates in vivo cutaneous wound healing by stimulating smad-mediated collagen production. J Ethnopharmacol 2013;146:490-4.
9. Ieyama T, Gunawan-Puteri MD, Kawabata J. Î‘-glucosidase inhibitors from the bulb of Eleutherine americana. Food Chem 2011;128:308-11.
10. Boussoualim N, Baghiani A, Krache I, Trabsa H, Kenouf S, Arrar L. Inhibitory effects of Anchusa azurea extracts on xanthine oxidase activity and its hypouricemic effects on mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:195-9.
11. Fidrianny I, Alvina A. Antioxidant capacities from different polarities extract of three kinds ginger using DPPH, frap assays and correlation with phenolic, flavonoid, carotenoid contents. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:521-5.
12. Laksmitawati DR, Nurhidayati L, Ningsih NN. Establishment of hyperuricemia mouse model with oxonic acid potassium salt and essence of chicken. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2017;64:64-9.
13. Gholizadeh F, Mokarram P, Dastgheib S, Rahpeima Z. The effect of the aquatic extract of stevia on the mda level and catalase activity in the testicular tissue of streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced diabetic rats. Shiraz E Med J 2018;19:e61044.
14. Apaya KL, Chichioco-Hernandez CL. Xanthine oxidase inhibition of selected Philippine medicinal plants. J Med Plant Res 2011;5:289-92.
15. Alves TM, Kloos H, Zani CL. Eletherinone, a novel fungitoxic naphthoquinone from Eleutherine bulbosa (Iridaceae). Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 2003;98:709-12.
16. ÄurÄ‘eviÄ‡ J, VasiÄ‡ S, RadojeviÄ‡ I, ÄeliÄ‡ G, ÄŒomiÄ‡ L. Anibacterial, antibiofilm and antioxidant activity of Potamogeton nodosus Poir. Extracts. Kragujevac J Sci 2014;36:137-44.
17. Liu XJ, Yan XQ, Wang NL. Studies on chemical constituents of Eleutherine americana. Zhong Yao Cai 2009;32:55-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.