DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF STABILITY-INDICATING REVERSE-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD FOR THE ESTIMATION OF LEDIPASVIR IN BULK AND TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: The objective of this study was to develop a stability-indicating reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method for the estimation of ledipasvir (LDP) in bulk and tablet formulation.
Methods: Stability-indicating RP-HPLC method was developed and validated for the estimation of LDP in bulk and tablet formulation. RP-HPLC was carried out on HiQ SiL C18 columns (250 mm × 4.6 mm, 5 μ particle size) using mobile phase acetonitrile:1 mM ammonium acetate buffer in the ratio of 90:10 v/v at a flow rate of 1 ml/min. The analytes were monitored using MD 2010 PDA detector at 333 nm.
Results: The retention time was found to be 3.843 min. The proposed method was found to be having linearity in the concentration range of 5–30 μg/ml. The number of theoretical plates obtained was 4236.50 which indicate the efficient performance of the column. The limit of detection was 0.305 μg/ml and limit of quantification was 0.923 μg/ml, which indicate the sensitivity of the method; the high percentage recovery indicates that the proposed method is highly accurate. The developed method has been validated according to the ICH guidelines and found to be simple, specific, precise, and accurate.
Conclusion: The proposed method is precise, accurate, and stability indicating. Therefore, the proposed method can be used for routine quality control and analysis of LDP during stability studies in bulk samples and tablet dosage forms.
2. Lawitz E, Mangia A, Wyles D, Rodriguez-Torres M, Hassanein T, Gordon SC, et al. Sofosbuvir for previously untreated chronic hepatitis C infection. N Engl J Med 2013;368:1878-87.
3. Devilal J, Durgaprasad B. New method development and validation for the determination of ledipasvir in bulk drug form by using reverse phase HPLC technique. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:1312.
4. Pan C, Chen Y, Chen W, Zhou G, Jin L, Zheng Y, et al. Simultaneous determination of ledipasvir, sofosbuvir and its metabolite in rat plasma by UPLC-MS/MS and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2016;1008:255-9.
5. Zaman B, Siddique F, Hassan W. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in tablet dosage form and its application to in vitro dissolution studies. Chromatographia 2016;79:1605-13.
6. Nagaraj T, Vardhan SV, Kumar DR, Ramachandran D. A new RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous assay of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in combined dosage form. Int J Chem Tech Res 2017;10:761-8.
7. Siva Kumar R, Sravan Kumar KV, Kondareddy L, Yogeshwara KR, Manish G, Jeenet J, et al. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for estimation of potential impurities in ledipasvir and characterization of a new degradation impurity. J Chromatogr Sci 2018;56:383-5.
8. Naazneen S, Sridevi A. Development of assay method and forced degradation study of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir by RP-HPLC in tablet formulation. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2017;7:2231-687.
9. Kranthi K, Kiran M, Saisri M, Priyanka M, Manikanta SM, Kranthi KK. A new analytical method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir using RP-HPLC. Inter Cont J Pharm Invest Res 2017;4:142-65.
10. Akshay P. Rote, Janardan Alhat, Amol A. Kulkarni. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2017;19:291-8.
11. Baker MM, El-Kafrawy DS, Mahrous MS, Belal TS. Validated spectrophotometric and chromatographic methods for analysis of the recently approved hepatitis C antiviral combination ledipasvir and sofosbuvir. Ann Pharm Fr 2018;76:16-31.
12. Hassouna, Mohamed MA. Novel and facile spectrophotometric techniques for the determination of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir in their tablet dosage form. J Anal Pharm Res 2018;7:92-9.
13. Eissa MS. Simultaneous determination of the brand new two-drug combination for the treatment of hepatitis C: Sofosbuvir/ledipasvir using smart spectrophotometric methods manipulating ratio spectra. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2017;183:362-70.
14. Singh S, Bakshi M. Guidance on conduct of stress tests to determine inherent stability of drugs. Pharm Technol Online 2000;24:1-14.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.