ESTIMATION OF GABAPENTIN IN HUMAN PLASMA USING LC-MS/MS METHOD
Objective: The objective of this research was to develop and validate a simple, sensitive and specific Liquid Chromatographyâ€“Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LCâ€“MS/MS) quantification of Gabapentin in human plasma. The analytical method consists of liquid-liquid extraction of plasma sample followed by the determination of Gabapentin by a LCâ€“MS/MS.
Method: The analyte was separated on a Zorbax Eclipse XDB -C18 (150 x 4.6 mm, 5 Âµ) column with an isocratic mobile phase of Methanol: Water (50: 50 v/v, pH of 3.0) at a flow rate of 0.8 mL/min. Protonated ions formed by a turbo ionspray in a positive mode was used to detect analyte and internal standard (IS). The MS/MS detection was made by monitoring the fragmentation of m/z 172.20â†’154.20 for Gabapentin and m/z 176.40â†’158.10 for internal standard on a mass spectrometer.
Results: The method was validated over the concentration range of 51.356 ng/mL to 8217.008 ng/mL for Gabapentin in human plasma with correlation coefficient greater than 0.98.
Conclusion: The developed method was successfully applied for analyzing Gabapentin in plasma samples for a bioequivalence study with healthy volunteers.
Key words: Gabapentin; Validation; Analysis; Bioavailability; LC-MS/MS.
2. Eduardo AJ, Duarte LF, Pereira R, Pozzebon JM, Tosetti D and Cardoso Custodio JM. Gabapentin Bioequivalence Study: Quantification by Liquid Chromatography Coupled to Mass Spectrometry. J. Bioeq. Avail. 2011; 3(8):187.
3. Gupta A, Ciavarella AB, Sayeed VA, Khan MA, Faustino PJ. Development and application of a validated HPLC method for the analysis of dissolution samples of gabapentin drug products. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2008; 46 (1):181.
4. Ciavarella AB, Gupta A, Sayeed VA, Khan, MA, Faustino PJ. Development and application of a validated HPLC method for the determination of gabapentin and its major degradation impurity in drug products. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2007; 43 (5): 1647.
5. Vermeij TA, Edelbroek PM. Simultaneous high-performance liquid chromatographic analysis of pregabalin, gabapentin and vigabatrin in human serum by precolumn derivatization with o-phtaldialdehyde and fluorescence detection. J. Chromatogr. B 2004; 810 (2): 297.
6. Wad N, Kramer G. Sensitive high-performance liquid chromatographic method with fluorometric detection for the simultaneous determination of gabapentin and vigabatrin in serum and urine. J. Chromatogr B: Biomed. Sci. Appl. 1998; 705 (1): 154.
7. Bahrami G, Mohammadi B. Sensitive microanalysis of gabapentin by high-performance liquid chromatography in human serum using pre-column derivatization with 4-chloro-7-nitrobenzofurazan: Application to a bioequivalence study. J. Chromatogr. B 2006; 837:24.
8. Zhu Z, Neirinck L. High-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of gabapentin in human plasma. J. Chromatogr. B 2002; 779 (2):307.
9. Amini M, Rouini MR, Asad-Paskeh A, Abbas Shafiee. A new pre-column derivatization method for determination of gabapentin in human serum by HPLC using UV detection. J. Chromatogr. Sci. 2010; 48:358.
10. Chang SY, Wang FY. Determination of gabapentin in human plasma by capillary electrophoresis with laser-induced fluorescence detection and acetonitrile stacking technique. J. Chromatogr. B 2004; 799 (2):265.
11. Wolf WE, Saady JJ, Poklis A. Determination of Gabapentin in Serum Using Solid-Phase Extraction and Gas-Liquid Chromatography. J. Anal. Toxicol. 1996; 20:498.
12. Kushnir MM, Crossett J, Brown PI and Urry FM. Analysis of Gabapentin in Serum and Plasma by Solid-Phase Extraction and Gas Chromatography- Mass Spectrometry for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. J. Anal. Toxicol. 1999; 23:1.
13. Gambelunghe C, Mariucci G, Tantucci M, Amboina MV. Gas chromatographyâ€“tandem mass spectrometry analysis of gabapentin in serum. Biomed. Chromatogr. 2005; 19:63.
14. Van Lente F, Gatautis V. Cost-efficient Use of Gas Chromatographyâ€“Mass Spectrometry: A Piggybackâ€ Method for Analysis of Gabapentin. Clin. Chem. 1998; 44 (9):2044.
15. Abdel C, Arno S, Jeroen GB, Rene VM. Rapid Quantification of Gabapentin, Pregabalin, and Vigabatrin in Human Serum by ultra performance liquid chromatography with Mass-Spectrometric Detection. Therap. Drug Monit. 2013; 35(1):48.
16. Park J, Jhee OH. Validated LC-MS/MS method for quantification of gabapentin in human plasma: application to pharmacokinetic and bioequivalence studies in Korean volunteers. Biomed. Chromatogr. 2007; 21(8):829.
17. Ramakrishna NVS, Vishwottam KN, Koteshwara M, Manoj S, Santosh M, Chidambara J, Sumatha B, Varma DP. Rapid quantification of gabapentin in human plasma by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. J of Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2006; 40 (2): 360.
18. Carlsson KC, Reubsaet JLE. Sample preparation and determination of gabapentin in venous and capillary blood using liquid chromatographyâ€“tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2004; 34 (2): 415.
19. Ying Liu. Analysis of Gabapentin in Equine Plasma with Measurement Uncertainty Estimation by Liquid Chromatographyâ€“Tandem Mass Spectrometry. J Anal. Toxicol. 2011; 35:75.
20. Guidance for Industry, Bioanalytical Method validation, CDER, May 2001
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.