ESTIMATION OF TOPIRAMATE IN HUMAN PLASMA USING LC-MS/MS METHOD
Objective: The objective of this research was to develop and validate a simple, sensitive and specific liquid chromatographyâ€“tandem mass spectrometry (LCâ€“MS/MS) method for quantification of Topiramate in human plasma.
Method: The analytical method consists of solid phase extraction of plasma sample followed by the determination of Topiramate by a LCâ€“MS/MS. The analyte was separated on Advance Hypurity C18 (50 x 4.6 mm, 5Âµ) column with an isocratic mobile phase of Acetonitrile and 2mM ammonium acetate buffer in the volume ratio of 80:20 v/v at a flow rate of 0.8 mL/min. Â Â Â Â Results: Protonated ions formed by a turbo ion spray in a negative mode were used to detect analyte and internal standard (IS). The MS/MS detection was made by monitoring the fragmentation of m/z 338.00â†’77.50 for Topiramate and m/z 350.40â†’90.10 for internal standard on a mass spectrometer. The method was validated over the concentration range of 20.721 ng/mL to 605.656 ng/mL for Topiramate in human plasma with correlation coefficient greater than 0.99.
Conclusion: The developed method was successfully applied for analyzing Topiramate in plasma samples for a bioequivalence study with healthy volunteers.
Key words: Topiramate; Validation; Analysis; Bioavailability; LC-MS/MS.
2. Guerrini R, Carpay J. Topiramate monotherapy as broad-spectrum antiepileptic drug in a naturalistic clinical setting. Seizure 2005; 14:371.
3. Ajlouni SA, Shorman A, Daoud AS. The efficacy and side effects of topiramate on refractory epilepsy in infants and young children: A multi-center clinical trial. Seizure 2005; 14:459.
4. Styslo-Zalasik M, Weiyong Li. Determination of topiramate and its degradation product in liquid oral solutions by high performance liquid chromatography with a chemiluminescent nitrogen detector. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2005; 37(3):529.
5. Bahrami G, Mohammadi B. A novel high sensitivity HPLC assay for topiramate, using 4-chloro-7-nitrobenzofurazan as pre-column fluorescence derivatizing agent. J. Chromatogr. B 2007; 850:400.
6. Gh. Bahrami, Sh. Mirzaeei, Kiani A. Sensitive analytical method for Topiramate in human serum by HPLC with pre-column fluorescent derivatization and its application in human pharmacokinetic studies. J. Chromatogr. B 2004; 813:175.
7. Bahrami B, Mirzaeei S, Mohammadi B, Kiani A. High performance liquid chromatographic determination of topiramate in human serum using UV detection. J. Chromatogr. B 2005; 822:322.
8. Mercolini L, Mandrioli R, Amore M, Raggi MA. Simultaneous HPLC-F analysis of three recent antiepileptic drugs in human plasma. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2010; 53:62.
9. Mandrioli R, Musenga A, Kenndler E, Donno M, Amore M, Raggi MA. Determination of topiramate in human plasma by capillary electrophoresis with indirect UV detection. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2010; 53:1319.
10. Klockow-Beck A, Nick A, Schaufelberger D. Determination of the inorganic degradation products sulfate and sulfamate in the antiepileptic drug topiramate by capillary electrophoresis. J. Chromagr. B: Biome. Sci. Appl. 1998; 720:141.
11. Carl E. Wolf, C. Richard Crooks, Poklis A. Rapid Gas Chromatographic Procedure for the Determination of Topiramate in Serum. J. Anal. Toxicol. 2000; 24:661.
12. Matar KM, Therapeutic drug monitoring of topiramate by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Clin. Chim. Acta 2010; 411 (9-10):729.
13. Pineyro-Lopez A, Pineyro-Garza E, Gomez-Silva M. Bioequivalence of single 100-mg doses of two oral formulations of topiramate: An open-label, randomized-sequence, two-period crossover study in healthy adult male Mexican volunteers. Clin. Therap 2009; 31:411.
14. Contin M, Riva R, Albani F, Baruzzi A. Simple and rapid liquid chromatographicâ€“turbo ion spray mass spectrometric determination of topiramate in human plasma. J. Chromatogr. B: Biomed. Sci. Appl. 2001; 761:133.
15. Goswami D, Kumar A, Khuroo AH, Monif T, Rab S. Bioanalytical LC-MS/MS method validation for plasma determination of topiramate in healthy Indian volunteers. Biomed. Chromatogr. 2009: 23:1227.
16. Park JH, Park YS. Determination of plasma topiramate concentration using LC-MS/MS for pharmacokinetic and bioequivalence studies in healthy Korean volunteers. Biomed. Chromatogr. 2008, 22:822.
17. Malka B, Stefan S, Nina I. Analysis of Topiramate and Its Metabolites in Plasma and Urine of Healthy Subjects and Patients with Epilepsy by Use of a Novel Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry Assay. Therapeu. Drug Monit, 2003; 25:314.
18. Guidance for Industry, Bioanalytical Method validation, CDER, May 2001.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.