EFFECTIVENESS OF GABAPENTIN USAGE TOWARD REDUCING PAIN INTENSITY LEVEL AND QUALITY OF LIFE OF POST-STROKE NEUROPATHIC PATIENTS IN REGIONAL GENERAL HOSPITAL, WEST NUSA TENGGARA PROVINCE YEAR 2018
Objective: Stroke is defined as a sudden loss of brain function due to blockade/rupture of the brain’s blood vessels. Data collected by the Indonesian Stroke Foundation show that Indonesia ranks first in Asia as the country with the highest number of stroke sufferers. The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of the use of gabapentin to reduce pain intensity and improve the quality of life of post-stroke neuropathic pain in NTB Province hospital patients.
Methods: This study was carried out in the period of June–July 2018. The targeted population was all post-stroke neuropathic patients who received gabapentin therapy in NTB provincial hospital. Affordable populations are post-stroke neuropathic pain patients who seek outpatient treatment at NTB provincial hospital that meets the inclusion and exclusion criteria. The results of the data will be analyzed using paired sample t-test. Obtained 15 patients were willing to participate in this study.
Results: The results of the study using questionnaire EQ-5D-3L after using gabapentin for 2 weeks. Patients experienced an improvement in the quality of life in each dimension items, namely the ability to walk/move from 6.7%, no problem to 60%, no self-care, 26.7% no problem to be 80% without problems, usual activities carried out from 13.3% had no problems to 46.7% had no problems, feeling of pain/discomfort from 60% having moderate problems to 60% had no problems, and anxiety/depression of 60% had no problem being 100% has no problem. While the measurement of the quality of life using the EQ-VAS questionnaire, there was a significant improvement in the quality of life between before and after using gabapentin at 32.66.
Conclusion: The use of gabapentin has effectiveness on reduction of pain intensity and the quality of life of post-stroke neuropathic patients in regional general hospital, West Nusa Tenggara Province year 2018.
2. Chandrasekar K. Post-stroke psychiatric disorders: An overview on its screening and management. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. Available from: https://www.innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ajpcr/article/ view/26047. [Last accessed on 2019 Jan 08].
3. Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Addressing the Nation’s Leading Killers. Heart Dis; 2009. 9.
4. Lackland DT, Roccella EJ, Deutsch AF, Fornage M, George MG, Howard G, et al. Factors influencing the decline in stroke mortality: A statement from the American Heart Association/American stroke association. Stroke 2014;45:315-53.
5. Available from: http://www.heart-disease-and-stroke-statistics-2018- at-a-glance-ucm_498848.pdf.
6. Utami P, Ikawati Z, Setyaningsih. Perbandingan efek terapi gabapentin dan amitriptilin pada pasien stroke dengan nyeri neuropati. Mutiara Med J Kedokt Kesehatan 2016;13:89-97.
7. van Hecke O, Austin SK, Khan RA, Smith BH, Torrance N. Neuropathic pain in the general population: A systematic review of epidemiological studies. Pain 2014;155:654-62.
8. Keskinbora K, Pekel AF, Aydinli I. Periferik nöropatik a?rinin kontrolünde gabapentin ve amitriptilinin etkinli?inin kar?ila?tirilmasi. Agri 2006;18:34-40.
9. Cahyaningsih I, Handayani R, Setyaningsih. The comparisonof gabapentin and amitriptilin effectivity as pain therapy in herniated nucleus pulposus. Int J Public Health Sci 2015;4:225-31.
10. Home. Wong-Baker FACES Foundation. Available from: http://www. wongbakerfaces.org/. [Last accessed on 2018 Nov 27].
11. Balestroni G, Bertolotti G. EuroQol-5D (EQ-5D): An instrument for measuring quality of life. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 2012;78:155-9.
12. Butt M, Ali AM, Bakry MM. Health-related quality of life in poorly controlled Type 2 diabetes patients-association of patients’ characteristics with EQ-5D domains, mean eq-5d scores, and visaul analog scale score. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:93-8.
13. Buchholz I, Janssen MF, Kohlmann T, Feng YS. A systematic review of studies comparing the measurement properties of the three-level and five-level versions of the EQ-5D. Pharmacoeconomics 2018;36:645-61.
14. Pattanaphesaj J, Thavorncharoensap M. Measurement properties of the EQ-5D-5L compared to EQ-5D-3L in the thai diabetes patients. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2015;13:14.
15. Gabapentin for Chronic Neuropathic Pain in Adults. Available from: http://www./CD007938/SYMPT_gabapentin-chronic-neuropathic-pain-adults. [Last accessed on 2018 Nov 27].
16. Comparative Study of Safety and Efficacy of Gabapentin Versus Amitriptyline in Patients With Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, A Randomized open Label Parallel Group Study. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal. Available from: http://www. biomedpharmajournal.org/vol10no3/comparative-study-of-safety-and-efficacy-of-gabapentin-versus-amitriptyline-in-patients-with-painful-diabetic-peripheral-neuropathy-a-randomized-open-label-parallel-group-study/. [Last accessed on 2018 Nov 27].
17. Hesami O, Gharagozli K, Beladimoghadam N, Assarzadegan F, Mansouri B, Sistanizad M, et al. The efficacy of gabapentin in patients with central post-stroke pain. Iran J Pharm Res 2015;14:95-101.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.