SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION, AND EVALUATION OF ANTIFUNGAL PROPERTIES OF SUBSTITUTED BENZIMIDAZOLE ANALOG
Objective: The aim of the present study is to synthesize novel benzimidazole derivatives as potent antifungal agents.
Methods: 2-chloromethyl-1H-benzimidazole has been synthesized by refluxing o-phenylenediamine with chloroacetic acid in the presence of 5N HCL. Further, N-substituted benzimidazole derivatives containing various heteroamines and aromatic compounds were synthesized. These, finally, prepared derivatives were kept for in vitro antifungal property.
Results: A novel series of antifungal agents, containing benzimidazole nucleus as a basic skeleton, has been synthesized.
Conclusion: The synthesized novel benzimidazole derivatives exhibit moderate activity (VMSA 1, 2, 8), some compounds showed significant activity (VMSA 6, 9, and 10), and compound VMSA 4 and 5 exhibits maximum activity.
2. Murray DK. Medical Microbiology. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 1990. p. 299-323.
3. Petrikkos G, Skiada A. Recent advances in antifungal chemotherapy. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2007;30:108-17.
4. Georgopapadakou NH, Walsh TJ. Human mycoses: Drugs and targets for emerging pathogens. Science 1994;264:371-3.
5. Perfect JR. Effects of mycorrhizal fungi on in vitro nitrogen response of some Dutch indigenous orchid species Can J Bot 1995;73:1187-91.
6. Groll AH, Delucca AJ. Walsh TJ. Kinase-phosphatase competition regulates Bacillus subtilis development. Trend Microbiol 1998;6:117-24.
7. Perfect JR. Antimicrob agents chemother in vitro characterization of azoles resistance in Candida albicans 1996;40:1577-83.
8. Balkovec JM. Section review: Anti-infectives: Lipopeptide antifungal agents. Exp Opin Invest Drugs 1994;3:65-82.
9. Fox JJ, Watanabe KA, Bloch A. Candida endocarditis and the impact of antifungal treatment on the corrected QT interval: A case report. Prog
Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 1966;7:251-313.
10. Bowman EJ, Siebers A, Altendorf K. Bafilomycins: A class of inhibitors of membrane ATP ases from microorganisms, animal cells, and plant cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1988;85:7972-6.
11. Vincent TA. Risk of resistance related to antifungal use before admission in patients with community-acquired bacteraemia. J Antimicrob Chemother 1999;44:151.
12. Giulia M, Luisa, ME, Paola F, Silvia S, Angelo R, Lui C. Fungicidal activity of fluconazole against Candida albicans in a synthetic vagina-simulative medium. Bioorg MÃ©d Chem 2004;12:5465.
13. Xiao L, Madison V, Chau AS, Loebenberg D, McNicholas PM. Antimicrobial susceptibility and synergy studies of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia isolates from patients with cystic fibrosis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2004;48:568.
14. Hunt ML, Cox AJ, Ruffolo CG, Rajakumar K, Adler B. Characterisation of a Pasteurella multocida esterase gene which confers a hemolytic phenotype in Escherichia coli under anaerobic conditions. FEMS Microbiol Lett 2000;192:249-56.
15. Potts KT. The chemistry of 1, 2, 4-triazoles. Chem Rev 1961;61:87.
16. Heeres J, Meerpoel L, Lewi P. Conazoles. Molecules 2010;15:4129-88.
17. Bruch HA, Smith WO. Nitrofuryl heterocycles. iii.1 3-alkyl-5-(5-nitro-2-furyl)-1, 2, 4-triazoles and intermediates. J Med Chem 1966;9:405.
18. Imperio D, Pirali T, Galli U, Pagliai F, Cafici L, Canonico PL, et al. Replacement of the lactone moiety on podophyllotoxin and steganacin analogues with a 1,5-disubstituted 1,2,3-triazole via ruthenium-catalyzed click chemistry. Bioorg Med Chem 2007;15:6748-57.
19. Kucukguzel I, Kucukguzel GS, Rollas S, et al. II Farmaco. Med Chem 2004;59:893.
20. Shivarama Holla B, Veerendra B, Shivananda MK, Poojary B. Synthesis characterization and anticancer activity studies on some mannich bases derived from 1,2,4-triazoles. Eur J Med Chem 2003;38:759-67.
21. Turan-Zitouni G, Sivaci M, KiliÃ§ FS, Erol K. Synthesis of some triazolyl-antipyrine derivatives and investigation of analgesic activity. Eur J Med Chem 2001;36:685-9.
22. Hosur MS, Talwar R. Synthesis and antiinflammatory activity of 3-substituted-4-amino-5-mercapto-4(h)-1, 2, 4-triazole. Ind J Pharm Sci 1993;55:86.
23. Wade PC, Vogt BR, Kissick TP, Simpkins LM, Palmers DM. 1-Acyltriazoles as antiinflammatory agents. J Med Chem 1982;25:331.
24. Julino M, Stevens MF. Antitumour polycyclic acridines. Part 5.1 Synthesis of 7H-pyrido [4, 3, 2-kl] acridines with exploitable functionality in the pyridine ring. J Chem Soc Perkin Trans 1998;1:1677.
25. Passannanti A, Diana P, Barraja P, Lauria A, Montalbano A, Almerico AM. Antifungal compounds. Heterocycles 1998;48:1229.
26. Talwar MB, Laddi UV, Somannavar YS. Recent trends in antifungal agents and antifungal therapy. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 1995;4:297.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.