STABILITY-INDICATING METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR THE ESTIMATION OF ROSUVASTATIN CALCIUM IN BULK AND TABLET FORMULATION BY REVERSE-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY
Objective: The present work was focused on the development and validation of reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method which is simple, rapid, precise, accurate, sensitive, economical, and stability indicating for the quantitation of rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and tablet formulation.
Methods: The separation was attained on Waters Symmetry C18 column with dimensions 150×4.6 mm, 5 mm particle size employing 0.1% orthophosphoric acid buffer:acetonitrile in the ratio of 55:45% v/v as mobile phase, which was pumped at a rate of 1.0 ml/min and detected at a wavelength of 241 nm.
Results: The linearity of the method was demonstrated in the concentration range of 2–12 μg/ml for rosuvastatin calcium with a correlation coefficient (r2) of 0.999, percentage drug recovery was found to be 100.22–101.16%, and percentage relative standard deviation <2. Limit of detection and limit of quantitation values were found to be 0.013 μg/ml and 0.042 μg/ml, respectively, and assay of marketed tablet formulation was found to be 99.76%.
Conclusion: The developed RP-HPLC method was found to be simple, specific, sensitive, rapid, linear, accurate, precise, and economical and could be used for regular quality control of rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and tablet formulation.
2. Barrios V, Escobar C. Rosuvastatin and diabetes: When the evidences talk. Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem 2013;11:115-24.
3. Sweetman SC. Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. London, England, UK: Pharmaceutical Press; 2002.
4. Hassouna ME, Salem HO. Stability indicating new RP-HPLC method for the determination of rosuvastatin calcium in pure and tablets dosage forms. Int J Appl Pharm Biol Res 2017;2:11-27.
5. SirishaMulukuri NV, Srinivasarao T, Raveendra BG. New RP-HPLC method development and validation for the estimation of rosuvastatin calcium in bulk drugs and formulations. J Pharm Res 2017;11:257-60.
6. Suares D, Prabhakar B. Stability-indicating assay method for determination of rosuvastatin in nano-formulation and pharmaceutical dosage form by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2016;9:265-74.
7. Ustun Z, Tala A, Demiralay EC. Optimization of RPLC conditions for quantitative analysis of atorvastatin and rosuvastatin in pharmaceutical dosage form. SDU J Sci E J 2016;11:72-81.
8. Rao BK, Rao MN, Ramu G, Rambabu C. Validated stability indicating rp-hplc method development for the assay of rosuvastatin in pure and formulations. ACAIJ 2015;15:160-8.
9. Moodbidri PV, Dhayanithi V, Shastry GB, Pati HN, Vasireddy P. Development and validation of chiral HPLC method for quantitation of enantiomer in rosuvastatin calcium. Int J Pharm Drug Anal 2015;3:275-82.
10. Babu CR, Gowrisankar D, Suribabu C, Badaree K, Sarvaraidu C. Development and validation of a reverse-phase HPLC method for the determination of rosuvastatin in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2013;4:1791-9.
11. Chakraborty AK, Mishra SR Sahoo H. Formulation of dosage form of rosuvastatin calcium and development of validated RP-HPLC method for its estimation. Int J Anal Bioanal Chem 2011;1:89-101.
12. Donthula S, Kumar MK, Teja GS, Kumar YM, Krishna JY, Ramesh D. A new validated RP-HPLC method for determination of rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Der Pharm Lett 2011;3:350-6.
13. Pandya CB, Channabasavaraj KP, Chudasama JD, Mani TT. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for determination of rosuvastatin calcium in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;5:82-6.
14. Kaila HO, Ambasana MA, Thakkar RS, Saravaia HT, Shah AK. A new improved RP-HPLC method for assay of rosuvastatin calcium in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:592-8.
15. Rao AL, Suneetha D. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation of rosuvastatin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Chem Sci 2010;8:1308-14.
16. Raj HA, Rajput SJ, Dave JB, Patel CN. Development and validation of two chromatographic stability-indicating methods for determination of rosuvastatin in pure form and pharmaceutical preparation. Int J Chem Tech Res 2009;1:677-89.
17. Sri DS, Kumar TH, Rao KV, Rao YS. Validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of rosuvastatin calcium and ezetimibe in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:209-13.
18. Moinuddin M, Rahaman SA, Yadav BR, Battu RK. Development and validation of reverse phase HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of rosuvastatin calcium and fenofibrate in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:150-4.
19. Available from: https://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q2_R1/Step4/Q2_R1__Guideline.pdf.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.