ATOMIC ABSORPTION SPECTROPHOTOMETER – A VERSATILE TOOL FOR THE ESTIMATION OF NICKEL CONTENT IN DRONEDARONE
Objective: The present investigation is to develop a validated analytical method for the determination of nickel content in dronedarone hydrochloride bulk drug by atomic absorption spectrophotometer (AAS).
Methods: Samples were analyzed after a preparation of sample solution by dissolving in suitable diluents of nitric acid and perchloric acid. In the present method, AAS with 0.2 nm slit width, nickel hollow cathode lamp with a wavelength of 232 nm has been employed.
Results: The system suitability parameters were performed to assess the system performance. The limit of detection and limit of quantification (LOQ) were found to be 0.051 ppm and 0.15 ppm, respectively. The percentage recovery at LOQ, 50%, 100%, and 150% levels of nickel in dronedarone was found to be 95.55, 109.33, 96, and 97.55, respectively.
Conclusion: With the developed method, the nickel content in dronedarone bulk sample was found to be 3.0 ppm.
2. Ha E, Lee Y, Kim M. Solubility of dronedarone hydrochloride in six pure solvents at the range of 298.15 to 323.15K. J Mol Liq 2016;216:360-3.
3. Assessment Report for Multaq. Evaluation of Medicines for Human Use, European Medicines Agency, Procedure No. EMEA/H/C/001043;2009. Available from: [Last accessed on 2018 .
4. Penugonda N, Mohmand-BorkowskiA,Burke JF.Dronedarone for atrial fibrillation: How does it compare with amiodarone? Cleve Clin J Med 2011;78:179-85.
5. Iram F, Ali S, Ahmad A, Khan S, Husain A. A review on dronedarone: Pharmacological, pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic profile. J Acute Dis 2016;5:102-8.
6. El Sheikh R, Gouda AA, Mostafa AH, Din SE. Development of efficient cloud point extraction method for preconcenration and spectrophotometric determination of nickel in water samples using 2-(benzothiazolylzao)orcinol. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:176-84.
7. Elsheikh R, Gouda AA, Elsayed HA, Alamin EM. Cloud point extraction, preconcenration and spectrophotometric determination of cobalt in water samples. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:213-21.
8. Jain PS, Bari PR, Girase DS, Kadtan DB, Ishi PL, Shinkar DA. Area under curve method development and validation for estimation of dronedarone in bulk and tablet dosage form. J Pharm Bio Sci 2013;2:44-7.
9. Jadhav D, Konam K. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for determination of dronedarone in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2014;4:179-85.
10. Bhatt KK. Development of a validated stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for dronedarone hydrochloride in pharmaceutical formulation. J Anal Bioanal Tech 2013;4:161.
11. Landge S, Jadhav S, Nimbalkara K, Mali A, Mathad V. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of dronedarone hydrochloride and its potential process-related impurities in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage form. Am J Anal Chem 2013;4:323-35.
12. Nahid L, Pavani H. Development and validation of HPLC method for simultaneous determination of ranolazine and dronedarone in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Indian J Res Pharm Biotechnol 2014;2:1525-28.
13. Dabhi B, Jebaliya H, Jadeja Y, Patel M, Shah A, Karia D. Fast Stability indicating UPLC method for quantitative analysis of dronedarone in pharmaceutical dosage form: Force degradation study. Chromatography 2014;2014:1-7.
14. Chavakula R, Chintala R, Tadanki B. Forced degradation study on dronedarone and application of validated stability-indicating HPLC-UV method in stability testing of dronedarone tablets. Der Pharm Chem 2013;5:189-95.
15. Akhtar J, Patel R. RP-HPLC method development and validation of dronedarone HCl in its pure form and tablet dosage form. J Chem Pharm Res 2012;4:2173-9.
16. Tondepu N, Sait S, Surendranath K, Kaja R, Kumar S. A stability indicating HPLC method for dronedarone in bulk drugs and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Am J Anal Chem 2012;03:544-51.
17. Rao KN, Ganapaty S, Rao AL. A simple and sensitive RP-HPLC method for estimation of dronedarone in bulk and tablet dosage forms. Asian J Res Chem 2012;5:1381-4.
18. Peng-fei J, Xiao-li L. HPLC determination of dronedarone hydrochloride tablets and its related substances. Chin J Pharm Anal 2013;33:450-3.
19. Chadha R, Bali A, Bansal G. Identification and characterization of stress degradation products of dronedarone hydrochloride employing LC-UV/PDA, LC–MS/TOF and MS n studies. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2016;118:139-48.
20. Xie C, Yang S, Zhong D, Dai X, Chen X. Simultaneous determination of dronedarone and its active metabolite debutyldronedarone in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: Application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2011;879:3071-5.
21. European Medicines Agency. Guideline on the Specification Limits for Residues of Metal Catalysts or Metal Reagents European Medicines Agency; 2018.
22. Stoving C, Jensen H, Gammelgaard B, Sturup S. Development and validation of an ICP-OES method for quantitation of elemental impurities in tablets according to coming US pharmacopeia chapters. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2013;84:209-14.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.