DESIGN AND EVALUATION OF SELF-NANOEMULSIFYING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS OF MANIDIPINE FOR ENHANCEMENT OF SOLUBILITY
Objective: The present work is aimed at developing liquid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (liquid-SNEDDS) of manidipine.
Methods: The manidipine SNEDDS is formulated with excipients comprising Capmul MCM as oil phase, Transcutol P as surfactant, and Lutrol L 300 as cosurfactant. The prepared fifteen formulations of manidipine SNEDDS were performed for emulsification time, percentage transmittance, particle size, drug release, in vitro dissolution and stability studies. Ternary phase diagram plotted using Chemix software.
Results: The optimized manidipine liquid SNEDDS formulation (F14) subjected to drug-excipient compatibility studies by Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy and characterized for particle size, zeta potential, scanning electron microscopy, and stability studies. The morphology of manidipine SNEDDS indicates spherical shape with uniform particle distribution. The percentage drug release from optimized formulation F14 (98.24±5.14%) was higher than that of pure drug (39.17±2.98%). The stability data indicated no noticeable change in drug content, emulsifying properties, drug release, and appearance.
Conclusion: Hence, a potential SNEDDS formulation of manidipine developed with enhanced solubility, dissolution rate, and bioavailability.
2. O’Driscoll CM. Lipid-based formulations for intestinal lymphatic delivery. Eur J Pharm Sci 2002;15:405-15.
3. Porter CJ, Trevaskis NL, Charman WN. Lipids and lipid-based formulations: Optimizing the oral delivery of lipophilic drugs. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2007;6:231-48.
4. Shafiq S, Shakeel F, Talegaonkar S, Ahmad FJ, Khar RK, Ali M, et al. Development and bioavailability assessment of ramipril nanoemulsion formulation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2007;66:227-43.
5. Attivi D, Ajana I, Astier A, Demoré B, Gibaud S. Development of microemulsion of mitotane for improvement of oral bioavailability. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2010;36:421-7.
6. Dixit AR, Rajput SJ, Patel SG. Preparation and bioavailability assessment of SMEDDS containing valsartan. AAPS PharmSciTech 2010;11:314-21.
7. Nielsen FS, Petersen KB, Müllertz A. Bioavailability of probucol from lipid and surfactant based formulations in minipigs: Influence of droplet size and dietary state. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2008;69:553-62.
8. Wu X, Xu J, Huang X, Wen C. Self-microemulsifying drug delivery system improves curcumin dissolution and bioavailability. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2011;37:15-23.
9. Cui J, Yu B, Zhao Y, Zhu W, Li H, Lou H, et al. Enhancement of oral absorption of curcumin by self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems. Int J Pharm 2009;371:148-55.
10. McKeage K, Scott LJ. Manidipine: A review of its use in the management of hypertension. Drugs 2004;64:1923-40.
11. Cheer SM, McClellan K. Manidipine: A review of its use in hypertension. Drugs 2001;61:1777-99.
12. Chaudhari P, Bhalerao A. Method validation for spectrophotometric estimation of cilnidipine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:96-98.
13. Talegaonkar S, Mustafa G, Akhter S, Iqbal ZI. Design and development of oral oil-in-water nanoemulsion formulation bearing atorvastatin: In vitro assessment. J Dispers Sci Technol 2010;31:690-701.
14. Setthacheewakul S, Mahattanadul S, Phadoongsombut N, Pichayakorn W, Wiwattanaptapee R. Development and characterization of solid self-emulsifying drug delivery system of cilnidipine. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2010;76:475-85.
15. Constantinides PP, Scalart JP, Lancaster C, Marcello J, Marks G, Ellens H, et al. Formulation and intestinal absorption enhancement evaluation of water-in-oil microemulsions incorporating medium-chain glycerides. Pharm Res 1994;11:1385-90.
16. Rajinikanth PS, Keat NW, Garg S. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems of valsartan: Preparation and in-vitro characterization. Int J Drug Deliv 2012;4:153-63.
17. Shafiq S, Shakeel F, Talegaonkar S, Ahmad FJ, Khar RK, Ali M, et al. Development and bioavailability assessment of ramipril nanoemulsion formulation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2007;66:227-43.
18. Costa P, Sousa Lobo JM. Modeling and comparison of dissolution profiles. Eur J Pharm Sci 2001;13:123-33.
19. Dixit P, Jain DK, Dumbwani J. Standardization of an ex vivo method for determination of intestinal permeability of drugs using everted rat intestine apparatus. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 2012;65:13-7.
20. Shaji J, Jadhav D. Newer approches to self emulsifying drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:37-42.
21. Surendra S, Roshan I, Nagori B. Formulation and evaluation of self-emulsifying drug delivery system of etoricoxib. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:367-72.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.