DESIGN, OPTIMIZATION, AND EVALUATION OF ACYCLOVIR FAST DISSOLVING TABLETS EMPLOYING STACH PHTHALATE – A NOVEL SUPERDISINTEGRANT
Objective: The objective of the present research was to prepare starch phthalate (a novel superdisintegrant) and to optimize and formulate acyclovir fast dissolving tablets employing 23 factorial design using starch phthalate as superdisintegrant.
Materials and Methods: Drug excipient compatibility studies such as Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy, differential scanning calorimetry, and thin-layer chromatography were carried out to check the drug interaction between acyclovir and starch phthalate. The direct compression method was used for tablet preparation. Prepared tablets were then evaluated for hardness, friability, drug content, disintegration time, water absorption, and wetting time, in vitro dissolution studies. Response surface plots and contour plots were also plotted to know the main effects and interaction effects of independent variables (starch phthalate [A], croscarmellose sodium [B], and crospovidone [C] on dependent variables [disintegration time and drug dissolution efficiency in 1 min]) and stability studies were also done.
Results: Tablets of all formulations were of good quality concerning drug content (100±5%), hardness (3.6–4.0 kg/cm2), and friability (<0.16%). In all formulations, formulation F8 found to be optimized formulation with least disintegration time 9±3 s, less wetting time 10±0.17 s, and enhanced dissolution rate in 1 min, i.e., 99.92±0.11 as compared to other formulation.
Conclusion: From the research, it was concluded that on combination with crospovidone (5%) and croscarmellose sodium (5%), starch phthalate (10%) enhanced the dissolution efficiency of the drug. Hence, starch phthalate can be used as a novel disintegrant in the manufacturing of fast dissolving tablets.
2. Masih A, Kumar A, Singh S, Tiwari AK. Fast dissolving tablets: A review. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:8-18.
3. Kumare MM, Marathe RP, Kawade RM, Ghante MH, Shendarkar GR. Design of fast dissolving tablet of atenolol using novel co-processed superdisintegrant. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:81-5.
4. Smita SA, Saudagar RB, Mayuri SS. Review: Fast dissolving tablet. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:5-12.
5. Chauhan K, Solanki R, Sharma S. A review on fast dissolving tablet. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:1-7.
6. Tavakoli N, Varshosaz J, Dorkoosh F, Motaghi S, Tamaddon L.Development and evaluation of a monolithic floating drug delivery system for acyclovir. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2012;60:172-7.
7. Kumar RS, Mudili S. Synthesis and characterisation of starch glutamate as a novel superdisintegrant. J Drug Deliv Ther 2019;9:100-3.
8. Kumar RS, Yagnesh TN. Optimization of starch oxalate as a novel superdisintegrant in fast dissolving systems of poorly soluble drugs. J Drug Deliv Ther 2019;9:185-95.
9. Kumar RS, Yagnesh TN. Synthesis, characterization and evaluation of starch xanthate as a superdisintegrant in the formulation of fast dissolving tablet. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:249-58.
10. Bhide P, Nachinolkar R. Formulation development and characterisation of meclizine hydrochloride fast dissolving tablets using solid dispersion technique. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:141-6.
11. Dhahir RK, Al-Kotaji M. Formulation of orally disintegrating tablets of cinnarizine by using direct compression method. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:117-23.
12. Shravani B, Rao NG. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of montelukast sodium using co-processed superdisintegrants. Int J Drug Dev Res 2014;6:125-34.
13. Ajit Shankarrao K, Dhairysheel Mahadeo G, Pankaj Balavantrao K. Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of orally disintegrating tablets of olanzapine-2-hydroxypropyl-?-cyclodextrin inclusion complex. Iran J Pharm Res 2010;9:335-47.
14. Preethi GB, Banerjee S, Shivakumar HN, Kum MR. Formulation of fast-dissolving tablets of doxazosin mesylate drug by direct compression method. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:22-8.
15. Bhavani PD, Rao NG. Formulation and evaluation of valsartan fast disintegrating tablets by vacuum drying technique. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:73-9.
16. Nagajyothi B, Babu MK. Design and development of glipizide fast dissolving tablets using natural gum superdisintegrant. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:144-8.
17. Movva B, Kumar DL, Kumar KM. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of ranitidine hydrochloride by hole technology. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:143-7.
18. Manimaran V, Damodharan N. Development of fast dissolving tablets of amlodipine besylate by solid dispersion technology using poloxamer 407 and poloxamer 188. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:135-41.
19. Kumar RS, Ghosh A. Design, optimisation and evaluation of piroxicam fast dissolving tablets employing starch tartrate-a new superdisintegrant. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:89-97.
20. Parfait N, Rani KC, Charles N, Geovanny V. Preparation and evaluation of atenolol-?-cyclodextrin orally disintegrating tablets using co-process crospovidone-sodium starch glycolate. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:190-4.
21. Remya PN, Saraswathi TS, Sangeetha S, Damodharan N, Kavitha R. Formulation and evaluation of immediate release tablets of acyclovir. J Pharm Sci Res 2016;8:1258-61.
22. Bala R, Khanna S, Pawar PK. Formulation and optimization of fast dissolving intraoral drug delivery system for clobazam using response surface methodology. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2013;4:151-9.
23. Karpe M, Mali N, Kadam V. Formulation development and evaluation of acyclovir orally disintegrating tablets. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:101-5.
24. Masih A, Tiwari AK. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of amoxycillin trihydrate and potassium clavulanate. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:48-58.
25. Chinnala KM, Vodithala S. Formulation development and evaluation of fast disintegrating tablets of cinitapride hydrogen tartarate by using direct compression technique. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:98-103.
26. Jain P, Gupta RN, Shrivastava S. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of omeprazole. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:48-51.
27. Begum SK, Madhuri V, Padmalatha K. Design and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of roflumilast solid dispersions. IJPSR 2019;10:599-11
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.