SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION, AND ANTICANCER ACTIVITY OF SOME NOVEL ACRIDINE DERIVATIVES
Objective: The objective of the study was to synthesize and evaluate the anticancer activity of some novel acridine derivatives.
Methods: The present works involve condensation of acridine and various 2, 4-Thiazolidine-2,4-dione derivatives (2a–2h) with chloroacetyl chloride to give a novel acridine derivatives (5a–5l), respectively.
Results: All the newly synthesized molecules (5a–5l) were characterized by FTIR, H1-NMR, and mass spectral analysis along with physical data. The biological potentials of the new synthesized compounds are evaluated for their in vitro anticancer activity by MTT assay.
Conclusion: The synthesized compounds 5a, 5f, and 5h exhibited good anticancer activity against MCF-7 and SKVO3 cancer cell lines at a concentration of 0.5 mg/mL-1.
2. Bernthsen A. Synthesis of acridines by the [4 + 2] annulation of arynes and 2-aminoaryl ketones. Ann 1884;224:1.
3. Chen YL, Lu CM, Chen IL, Tsaoand LT, Wang JP. Synthesis and antiinflammatory evaluation of 9-anilinoacridine and 9-phenoxyacridine derivatives. J Med Chem 2002;45:4689-94.
4. Yartseva LV, Isayevand SG, Svechnikova OM. Synthesis and antiproliferative activity of acridine-sulfonamide conjugates. Farm Zh 2003;3:60.
5. Gamage SA, Spicer JA, Atwell GJ, Finlay GJ, Baguley BC, Denny WA. Structure-activity relationships for substituted bis(acridine-4- carboxamides): A new class of anticancer agents. J Med Chem 1999;42:2383-93.
6. Kaya M, Yildirir Y, Celik GY. Synthesis and antimicrobial activities of novel bisacridine-1,8-dione derivatives Med Chem Res 2011;20:293-9.
7. Aly EI, Abadi AH. Synthesis and antitubercular activity of 6-chloro (unsubstituted)-2-methoxy-9-substituted acridine derivatives. Arch Pharm Res 2004;27:713-9.
8. Tripathi RP, Verma SS, Pandey J, Agarwal KC, Chaturvedi V, Manju YK, et al. Search of antitubercular activities in tetrahydroacridines: Synthesis and biological evaluation. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2006;16:5144-7.
9. DiGiorgio C, DeMeo M, Chiron J, Delmas F, Nikoyan A, Jean S, et al. Synthesis and antileishmanial activities of 4,5-di-substituted acridines as compared to their 4-mono-substituted homologues. Bioorg Med Chem 2005;13:5560.
10. Kumar A, Srivastava K, Kumar SR, Puri SK, Chauhan MS. Synthesis of 9-anilinoacridine triazines as new class of hybrid antimalarial agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2009;19:6996-9.
11. Tomar V, Bhattacharjee G, Kamaluddin M, Rajakumar S, Srivastava K, Puri SK. Synthesis of new chalcone derivatives containing acridinyl moiety with potential antimalarial activity. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45:745.
12. Yu XM, Ramiandrasoa F, Guetzoyan F, Pradines B, Quintino E, Gadelle D, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of acridine derivatives as antimalarial agents. Chemmedchem 2012;7:587-605.
13. Gupta HC, Jaiswal V. Recent developments in the synthesis and biological activity of acridine/acridone analogues. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2010;19:409.
14. Tonelli M, Vettoretti G, Tasso B, Novelli F, Boido V, Sparatore F, et al. Acridine derivatives as anti-BVDV agents. Antivir Res 2011;91:133-41.
15. Srivastava A, Nizamuddin A. Synthesis and fungicidal activity of some acridine derivatives. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2004;13:261-4.
16. Vinayak MG, Dhamak KB, Kotade KB. Synthesis, antimicrobial and antiinflammatory activity of novel acridine and acridone derivatives. Eur J Pharm Med Res 2016;3:454-9.
17. Cavalluzzi MM, Bruno C, Lentini G, Lovece A, Catalano A, Carocci A, et al. One-step synthesis of homochiral O-aryl and O-heteroaryl mandelic acids and their use as efficient 1H NMR chiral solvating agents. Tetrahedron Asymmetry 2009;20:1984-91.
18. Rajyalakshmi G, Narsimha RA, Sarangapani M. Synthesis, characterization and anticancer activity of certain 3-(4-(5-mecapto-1, 3, 4-oxadiazole2yl) phenylimino) indole-2-one derivatives Saudi Pharm J 2011;19:153-8.
19. Leena KP, Subin MZ, Deepthy CH. In silico design, synthesis and characterization of some novel benzothiazole derivatives as anticancer agents. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:50-15.
20. Venkanna A, Siva B, Poornima B, Vadaparthi PR, Prasad KR, Reddy KA, et al. Phytochemical investigation of sesquiterpenes from the fruits of Schisandra chinensis and their cytotoxic activity. Fitoterapia 2014;95:102-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.