EFFECT OF â€˜ ILOGEN EXCELâ€™ ON LIPIDS IN EXPERIMENTALLY INDUCED DIABETES MELLITUS.
The present study was used to evaluate the anti hyper lipidemic effect and anti oxidant effect of â€œIlogen Excelâ€ and ayurvedic herbal formulation in experimentally induced diabetic rats. Increase in the level of blood glucose, decrease in the level of plasma insulin, increase in the concentration of lipids in the heart and brain were registered in STZ induced diabetic rats when compared to normal rats. Oral administration of Ilogen excel 100 mg/kg daily for a period of two months to diabetic rats decreased the levels of Cholesterol, TGL, FFAS, PLS in heart and brain of diabetic rats . Thus our study shows anti hyper lipedimic effect of Ilogen Excel in STZ induced diabetic rats.
Keywords: Anti hyperlipidemic, Anti oxidant, Free fatty acids (FFAS), Phospholipids (PLS) , Streptozotocin (STZ)
2. Huntley MD. A review of diabetes mellitus. Diabetic Care 1995;???:2-3.
3. Bisset NG, Nwaiwu J. Quaternary alkaloids of Tinospora species. Planta Med 1983;48:275-9. Bisset NG, Nwaiwu J. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus American Diabetes Association. Diabetic Care 2004;27:5-10.
4. Report of the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care 1997;20:1183-97.
5. Mitra SK, Gopumadhavan S, Muralidhar TS, Anturlikar SD, Sujatha MB.AQ8Effect of a herbomineral preparation D-400 in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1996;54(1):41-6.
6. Bhattacharya SK, Satyan KS, Chakrabarti A. Effect of Trasina, an Ayurvedic herbal formulation, on pancreatic islet superoxide dismutase activity in hyperglycaemic rats. Indian J Exp Biol 1997;35(3):297-9.
7. Thilakavathy M, Prince PS. Antihyperglycaemic effect of Diavig, and Ayurvedic herbal formulation in normal and alloxan-induced duavetuc Wistar rats. M.Phil. Dissertation, Submitted to Annamalai University; 2005. p. 19.
8. Nadkarni KM. Indian Materia Medica. Bombay: Popular Prakashan (P). Ltd.; 1993. Rastogi RP, Mehrotra BN. Compendium of Indian Medicinal Plants. New Delhi: CDRI, Lucknow Publication and Information Directorate; 1995.
9. Eshrat HM, Hussain A. Hypoglycaemic, hypolipidaemic and antioxidant properties of combination of curumin from Curcuma longa Linn. and partially purified product from Abroma agusta Linn. in streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Indian J Clin Biochem 2002;17:33-43.
10. Tank R, Sharma N, Sharma I, Dixit VP. Antidiabetic activity of Curcuma longa in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Indian drugs 1989;27:587-9.
11. Selvam R, Subramanian L, Gayathri R, Angayarkanni N. The antioxidant activity of the turmeric (Curcuma longa). J Ethnopharmacol 1995;47:59-67.
12. Hakino H. Antihepatotoxic activity of crude drugs. Yakugaku Zasshi 1985;105:109-18.
13. Azuine MA, Kayal JJ, Bhide SV. Protective role of aqueous turmeric extract against mutagenicity of direct-acting carcinogens as well as benzo [alpha] pyrene-induced genotoxicity and carcinogenicity. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1992;118(6):447-52.
14. Joshi SG. Medicinal Plants. Delhi: Oxford and IBH: Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd; 2000. p. 1-491.
15. Sanmugapriya E, Venkataraman S. Studies on hepatoprotective and antioxidant actions of Strychnos potatorum Linn. seeds on CCl4-induced acute hepatic injury in experimental rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;105(1-2):154-60.
16. Biswas S, Murugesan T, Sinha S, Maiti K, Gayen JR, Pal M, et al. Antidiarrhoeal activity of Strychnos potatorum seed extract in rats. Fitoterapia 2002;73(1):43-7.
17. Yoshikawa M, Morikawa T, Matsuda H, Tanabe G, Muraoka O. Absolute stereostructure of potent alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, Salacinol, with unique thiosugar sulfonium sulfate inner salt structure from Salacia reticulata. Bioorg Med Chem 2002;10(5):1547-54.
18. Matsuda H, Murakami T, Yashiro K, Yamahara J, Yoshikawa M. Antidiabetic principles of natural medicines. IV. Aldose reductase and qlpha-glucosidase inhibitors from the roots of Salacia oblonga Wall. (Celastraceae): Structure of a new friedelane-type triterpene, kotalagenin 16-acetate. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 1999;47(12):1725-9.
19. Kritikar KR, Basu BD. An ICS Indian Medicinal Plants. Dehradum: Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh; 1541, 1984. p. 582.
20. Augusti KT, Vijayammal PL. Hypolipidaemic effect of Salacia oblonga Wall, root bark in streptozotocin diabetic rats. Med Sci Res 2000;28:65-7.
21. Ismail TS, Gopalakrishnan S, Begum VH, Elango V. Anti-inflammatory activity of Salacia oblonga Wall. and Azima tetracantha Lam. J Ethnopharmacol 1997;56:145-52.
22. Suresh K, Nadkarni KM, Nadkarni AK, editors. Indian Mateia Medica. 3rd ed., Vol. I. Mumbai: M/S Popular Rakasham (P). Ltd.; 1976.22.
23. Rajarathinam N, Nagarajan A. Antidiabetic, antihyper lipeademic and antioxidant effect of ethanolic extract of Curcuma longa. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5 Suppl 3:201-6.
24. Dhianawaty D, Martiana SA. Effect of Curcuma longa in diabetic rats. ??? 2014;6(4):0975-1491
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.