DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS OF NOVEL 2, 3-DISUBSTITUTED QUINAZOLINES: EVALUATION OF IN VITRO ANTICANCER ACTIVITY AND IN SILICO STUDIES
Objective: In this study, a series of novel 2,3-disubstituted quinazolines (4a-4l) were synthesized using standard procedures and elucidated through different spectroscopic techniques.
Methods: Obtained compounds were evaluated for their cytotoxicity against human breast cancer (MDA-MB-231) and ovarian cancer (SK-O-V3) cell lines using MTT assay. Docking studies with JAK2 protein were performed to elucidate the possible mechanistic insights into these novel quinazoline derivatives.
Results: Moderate-to-good in vitro cytotoxic potentials of the newly synthesized molecules were reported against selected human cancer cell lines. Among the tested molecules, compound 4e showed good cytotoxic activity against MD-AMB-231 (14.2 ± 0.86 μM) and against SK-O-V3 (17.7 ± 0.62 μM).
Conclusion: The in vitro studies of the newly synthesized quinazoline derivatives reported considerable cytotoxic potentials against both breast and ovarian cancer cell lines and SAR studies suggest that quinazoline derivatives with heterocyclic benzothiazole nucleus with hydrophilic acetamide linkage at the 3rd position could probably increase the cytotoxic potentials and the presence of chlorine substitution could add more benefit. With the reported bioactivities of these derivatives, further studies on the derivatization could elucidate the broader cytotoxic potentials.
2. Chandregowda V, Kush AK, Chandrasekara Reddy G. Synthesis and in vitro antitumor activities of novel 4-anilinoquinazoline derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 2009;44:3046-55.
3. Al-Rashood ST, Aboldahab IA, Nagi MN, Abouzeid LA, Abdel- Aziz AA, Abdel-Hamide SG, et al. Synthesis, dihydrofolate reductase inhibition, antitumor testing, and molecular modeling study of some new 4(3H)-quinazolinone analogs. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;14:8608-21.
4. Vasdev N, Dorff PN, Gibbs AR, Nandanan E, Reid LM, Neil JP, et al. Synthesis of 6-acrylamido-4-(2-[18F] fluoroanilino) quinazoline: A prospective irreversible EGFR binding probe. J Lablelled Compd Rad 2005;48:109-15.
5. Wakeling AE, Guy SP, Woodburn JR, Ashton SE, Curry BJ, Barker AJ, et al. ZD1839 (Iressa): An orally active inhibitor of epidermal growth factor signaling with potential for cancer therapy. Cancer Res 2002;62:5749-54.
6. Alagarsamy V, Raja Solomon V, Dhanabal K. Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of some 3-phenyl-2-substituted-3H-quinazolin-4-one as analgesic, anti-inflammatory agents. Bioorg Med Chem 2007;15:235-41.
7. Baba A, Kawamura N, Makino H, Ohta Y, Taketomi S, Sohda T. Studies on disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs: Synthesis of novel quinoline and quinazoline derivatives and their anti-inflammatory effect. J Med Chem 1996;39:5176-82.
8. Rohini R, Muralidhar Reddy P, Shanker K, Hu A, Ravinder V. Antimicrobial study of newly synthesized 6-substituted indolo[1,2-c] quinazolines. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45:1200-5.
9. Antipenko L, Karpenko A, Kovalenko S, Katsev A, Komarovska- Porokhnyavets E, Novikov V, et al. Synthesis of new 2-thio-[1,2,4] triazolo[1,5-c]quinazoline derivatives and its antimicrobial activity. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2009;57:580-5.
10. Jatav V, Kashaw S, Mishra P. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of somenew 3-[5-(4-substituted) phenyl-1,3,4-oxadiazole-2yl]-2- styrylquinazoline-4(3H)-ones. Med Chem Res 2008;17:205-11.
11. Aly AA. Synthesis of novel quinazoline derivatives as antimicrobial agents. Chin J Chem 2003;21:339-46.
12. Li H, Huang R, Qiu D, Yang Z, Liu X, Ma J, et al. Synthesis and bioactivity of 4-quinazoline oxime ethers. Prog Nat Sci 1998;8:359-65.
13. Chandrika PM, Yakaiah T, Narsaiah B, Sridhar V, Venugopal G, Rao JV, et al. Synthesis leading to novel 2,4,6-trisubstitutedquinazoline derivatives, their antibacterial and cytotoxic activity againstTHP-1, HL-60 and A375 cell lines. Indian J Chem 2009;48B:840-7.
14. Paneersalvam P, Raj T, Ishar PS, Singh B, Sharma V, Rather BA. Anticonvulsant activity of Schiff bases of 3-amino-6,8-dibromo-2- phenylquinazolin-4(3H)-ones. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:375-8.
15. Nandy P, Vishalakshi MT, Bhat AR. Synthesis and antitubercular activity of Mannich bases of 2-methyl-3H-quinazolin-4-ones. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2006;15:293-4.
16. Saravanan G, Alagarsamy V, Prakash CR. Synthesis and evaluation of antioxidant activities of novel quinazoline derivatives. Int J Pharm Sci 2010;2:83-6.
17. Lakhan R, Singh OP, Singh JL. Studies on 4 (3H)-quinazolinone derivatives as anti-malarials. J Indian Chem Soc 1987;64:316-8.
18. Hess HJ, Cronin TH, Scriabine A. Antihypertensive 2-amino-4(3H)- quinazolinones. J Med Chem 1968;11:130-6.
19. Sasmal S, Balaji G, Reddy HR, Balasubrahmanyam D, Srinivas G, Kyasa S, et al. Design and optimization of quinazoline derivatives as melanin concentrating hormone receptor 1 (MCHR1) antagonists.Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2012;22:3157-62.
20. Alvarado M, Barceló M, Carro L, Masaguer CF, Raviña E. Synthesis and biological evaluation of new quinazoline and cinnoline derivatives aspotential atypical antipsychotics. Chem Biodivers 2006;3:106-17.
21. Malamas MS, Millen J. Quinazoline acetic acids and related analogs as aldose reductase inhibitors. J Med Chem 1991;34:1492-503.
22. Xing J, Zhang H, Yang L, Yang Y, Zhao L, Wei Q, et al. Design and synthesis and biological evaluation of novel 2,3-dihydroquinazolin- 4(H)-one derivatives as potential fxa inhibitors. Eur J Med Chem 2016;125:411-22.
23. Sylvester PW. Optimization of the tetrazolium dye (MTT) colorimetric assay for cellular growth and viability. Methods Mol Biol 2011;716:157-68.
24. Jyothi BS, Chandrika PM, Harathi P, Reddy GD, Prasad VV. Novel 2,4-disubstituted quinazolines as cytotoxic agents and JAK2 inhibitors: Synthesis, in vitro evaluation and molecular dynamics studies. Comput Biol Chem 2019;79:110-8.
25. Schenone S, Bruno O, Radi M, Botta M. New insights into small molecule inhibitors of Bcr-Abl. Med Res Rev 2011;31:1-41.
26. Cortes J, Rousselot P, Kim DW, Ritchie E, Hamorschlak N, Coutre S, et al. Dasatinib induces complete hematologic and cytogenic responses in patients with imatinib-resistant or intolerant chronic myeloid leukemia in blast crisis. Blood 2007;109:3207-13.
27. Leena KP, Subin MZ, Deepthy CH. In silico design, synthesis and characterization of some novel benzothiazole derivatives as anticancer agents. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:500-15.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.