PHYTOASSEMBLY AND PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTIVITY ON MORINGA OLEIFERA: A REVIEW
Moringa oleifera is a plant that has copious medicative properties and widely known as “drumstick plant” or “horseradish plant” and most widely vascular plant in India. This is a nutritional plant (herb) that consists of many pharmacological and biological exertion such as antiasthmatic, diuretic, antiepileptic, cardiovascular as well as antioxidants and also beneficial in wound healing enterprise. The anti-asthmatic action of M. oleifera seeds kernel ethanolic extract evoked by histamine and acetylcholine aerosol. Pre-treatment by ethanol gives the extract of M. oleifera also diminished carrageenan convinced rat paw edema that was comparable to standard diclofenac sodium. This review summarizes the biological exertion such as a cardiovascular, diuretic, and biological activities such as antimicrobial, antiepileptic, and anti-allergic activities and also provides pharmacological activities in essence anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, and anti-asthmatic activities.
2. Chopra RN, Chopra IC. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plans. Vol. 20. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research; 1956. p. 533.
3. Vaidya AD, Devasagayam TP. Current status of herbal drugs in India: An overview. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2007;41:1-1.
4. Gupta RK. Medicinal and Aromatic Plants: With Colour Plates. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors; 2010. p. 151-2.
5. KMNA materiamedica NT. The Indian Materia Medica. Mumbai: Popular Prakashan; 1994. p. 1319.
6. Caceres A, Cabrera O. Pharmacological properties of M. oleifera 1: Priliminary screening for antimicrobial activity. J Ethnopharmacol 1991;33:213-16.
7. Cáceres A, Saravia A, Rizzo S, Zabala L, De Leon E, Nave F. Pharmacologic properties of Moringa oleifera. 2: Screening for antispasmodic, antiinflammatory and diuretic activity. J Ethnopharmacol 1992;36:233-7.
8. Agrawal B, Mehta A. Antiasthmatic activity of Moringa oleifera Lam: A clinical study. Indian J Pharmacol 2008;40:28-31.
9. Amaglo NK, Bennett RN, Curto LR, Eduardo AS, Turco LV, Giuffrida A, et al. Profiling selected phytochemicals and nutrients in different tissues of the multipurpose tree Moringa oleifera L. Food Chem 2010;10:1047-54.
10. Coppin JP, Xu Y, Chen H, Pan MH, Ho CT, Juliani R, et al. Determination of flavonoids by LC/MS and anti-inflammatory activity in Moringa oleifera. J Funct Foods 2013;10:1892-9.
11. Saini RK, Shetty NP, Giridhar P. Carotenoid content in vegetative and reproductive parts of commercially grown Moringa oleifera Lam. Eur Food Res Technol 2014;10:971-8.
12. Saini RK, Shetty NP, Prakash M, Giridhar P. Effect of dehydration methods on retention of carotenoids, tocopherols, ascorbic acid and antioxidant activity in Moringa oleifera leaves and preparation of a RTE product. J Food Sci Technol 2014;51:2176-82.
13. Saini RK, Shetty NP, Giridhar P. GC-FID/MS analysis of fatty acids in Indian cultivars of Moringa oleifera: Potential sources of PUFA. J Am Oil Chem Soc 2014;10:1029-34.
14. Saini RK, Manoj P, Shetty NP, Srinivasan K, Giridhar P. Dietary iron supplements and Moringa oleifera leaves influence the liver hepcidin messenger RNA expression and biochemical indices of iron status in rats. Nutr Res 2014;34:630-8.
15. Bhattacharya A, Ghosh G, Agrawal D, Sahu PK, Kumar S, Mishra SS. GC-MS profiling of ethanolic extract of Moringa oleifera leaf. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014;10:263-75.
16. Bennett RN, Mellon FA, Foidl N, Pratt JH, Dupont MS, Perkins L, et al. Profiling glucosinolates and phenolics in vegetative and reproductive tissues of the multi-purpose trees Moringa oleifera L. (horseradish tree) and Moringa stenopetala L. J Agric Food Chem 2003;51:3546-53.
17. Nwosu MO, Okafor JI. Preliminary studies of the antifungal activities of some medicinal plants against Basidiobolus and some other pathogenic fungi. Mycoses 1995;38:191-5.
18. Kerharo PJ. Un remede popularized Sengalais: Le “Nebreday” (Moringa oleifera Lann. employs therapeutiquesen milieu africainchimie et pharmacologie. Plantes Med Phytother 1969;10:214-9.
19. Faizi S, Siddiqui BS, Saleem R, Siddiqui S, Aftab K, Gilani AH. Isolation and structure elucidation of new nitrile and mustard oil glycosides from Moringa oleifera and their effect on blood pressure. J Nat Prod 1994;57:1256-61.
20. Dahot MU, Memon AR. Nutritive significance of oil extracted from Moringa oleifera seeds. J Pharm Univ Karachi 1985;10:75-80.
21. Anwar F, Bhanger MI. Analytical characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil grown in temperate regions of Pakistan. J Agric Food Chem 2003;51:6558-63.
22. Dayrit IM, Alcantar AD, Villasenor IM. Studies on Moringa oleifera seeds, Part I. The antibiotic compound and its deactivation in aqueous solution. Philipp J Sci 1990;10:23-32.
23. Guevara AP, Vargas C, Sakurai H, Fujiwara Y, Hashimoto K, Maoka T, et al. An antitumor promoter from Moringa oleifera Lam. Mutat Res 1999;440:181-8.
24. Foidl N, Makkar HP, Becker K. The Potential of Moringa oleifera for Agricultural and Industrial Uses. In: What Development Potential for Moringa Products? Dar Es Salaam; 2001.
25. Sharma VR, Paliwal R, Sharma S. Phytochemical analysis and evaluation of antioxidant activities of hydro-ethanolic extract of Moringa oleifera Lam. J Pharm Res 2011;4:554-7.
26. Gilani AH, Aftab K, Suria A, Siddiqui S, Salem R, Siddiqui BS, et al. Pharmacological studies on hypotensive and spasmolytic activities of pure compounds from Moringa oleifera. Phytother Res 1994;8:87-91.
27. Mishra G, Singh P, Verma R, Kumar S, Srivastav S, Jha KK, et al. Traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological properties of Moringa oleifera plant: An overview. Sch Res Libr 2011;3:141-64.
28. Patel RK, Patel MM, Kanzariya NR, Vaghela KR, Patel RK, Patel NJ. In vitro hepatoprotective activity of Moringa oleifera Lam. leaves on isolated rat hepatocytes. Int J Pharm Sci 2010;10:457-63.
29. Nanjappaiah HM, Shivakumar H. Prophylactic and curative effects of Moringa oleifera Lam. pods in CCl4 damaged rat liver. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2012;10:541-6.
30. Hamza AA. Ameliorative effects of Moringa oleifera Lam seed extract on liver fibrosis in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:345-55.
31. Fakurazi S, Hairuszah I, Nanthini U. Moringa oleifera Lam prevents acetaminophen induced liver injury through restoration of glutathione level. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:2611-5.
32. Das N, Kunal S, Santinath G, Bernard F, Sanjit D. Moringa oleifera Lam. ethanolic leaf extract prevents early liver injury and restores antioxidant status in mice fed with high-fat diet. Indian J Exp Biol 2012;10:404-12.
33. Umaya SR, Parvatham R. Efficacy of Moringa oleifera and Aloe vera on aflatoxin b1-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Res J Biotechnol 2009;10:20-4.
34. Caceres A, Saravia A, Rizzo S, Zabala L, Leon ED, Nave F. Pharmacologic properties of Moringa oleifera 1: Preliminary screening for antimicrobial activity. J Ethnopharmacol 1992;10:233-7.
35. Rathi B, Patil PA, Baheti AM. Evaluation of aqueous extract of pulp and seeds of Moringa oleifera for wound healing in albino rats. J Nat Remedies 2004;10:145-9.
36. Rathi BS, Bodhankar SL, Baheti AM. Evaluation of aqueous leaves extract of Moringa oleifera Linn for wound healing in albino rats. Indian J Exp Biol 2006;44:898-901.
37. Muhammad AA, Arulselvan P, Cheah PS, Abas F, Fakurazi S. Evaluation of wound healing properties of bioactive aqueous fraction from Moringa oleifera Lam on experimentally induced diabetic animal model. Drug Des Devel Ther 2016;10:1715-30.
38. Gothai S, Arulselvan P, Tan WS, Fakurazi S. Wound healing properties of ethyl acetate fraction of Moringa oleifera in normal human dermal fibroblasts. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 2016;5:1-6.
39. Ndong M, Uehara M, Katsumata S, Suzuki K. Effects of oral administration of Moringa oleifera Lam on glucose tolerance in Goto- Kakizaki and Wistar rats. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2007;40:229-33.
40. Shukla S, Mathur R, Prakash AO. Antifertility profile of the aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera roots. J Ethnopharmacol 1988;22:51-62.
41. Hagiwara A, Hidaka M, Takeda S, Yoshida H, Kai H, Sugita C, et al. Anti-allergic action of aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera Lam. Eur J Med Plants 2016;10:1-10.
42. Amrutia J, Lala M, Srinivasa SS, Moses RS. Anticonvulsant activity of Moringa oleifera leaf. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:160-2.
43. Fahad J, Vijayalakshmi VV, Kumar SM, Sanjeeva SS, Kodancha GP, Adarsh B, et al. Antiurolithiatic activity of aqueous extract of bark of Moringa oleifera (lam.) in rats. Health 2010;2:352-5.
44. Rastogi T, Bhutda V, Moon K, Aswar PB, Khadabadi SS. Comparative study on the anthelmintic activity of Moringa oleifera and Vitex negundo. Asian J Res Chem 2009;10:181-2.
45. Cabardo DE Jr., Portugaliza HP. Anthelmintic activity of Moringa oleifera seed aqueous and ethanolic extracts against Haemonchus contortus eggs and third stage larvae. Int J Vet Sci Med 2017;5:30-4.
46. Sudha P, Asdaq SM, Dhamingi SS, Chandrakala GK. Immunomodulatory activity of methanolic leaf extract of Moringa oleifera in animals. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2010;54:133-40.
47. Nfambi J, Bbosa GS, Sembajwe LF, Gakunga J, Kasolo JN. Immunomodulatory activity of methanolic leaf extract of Moringa oleifera in Wistar albino rats. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 2015;26:603-11.
48. Jayanthi M, Garg SK, Yadav P, Bhatia AK, Goel A. Some newer marker phytoconstituents in methanolic extract of Moringa oleifera leaves and evaluation of its immunomodulatory and splenocytes proliferation potential in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2015;47:518-23.
49. Saralaya MG, Patel P, Patel M, Roy SP, Patel AN. Antidiarrheal activity of methanolic extract of Moringa oleifera Lam. roots in experimental animal models. Int J Pharm Res 2010;10:35-9.
50. Lakshminarayana M, Shivkumar H, Rimaben P, Bhargava VK. Antidiarrhoeal activity of leaf extract of Moringa oleifera in experimentally induced diarrhoea in rats. Int J Phytomed 2011;10:68-74.
51. Choudhury S, Sharan L, Sinha MP. Anti-diarrhoeal potentiality of leaf extracts of Moringa oleifera. Br J Appl Sci Technol 2013;10:1086-96.
52. Rathi B, Patil PA. Evaluation of aqueous extract of pulp and seeds of Moringa oleifera for wound healing in albino rats. J Nat Remedies 2004;10:145-9.
53. Abalaka ME, Daniyan SY, Oyeleke SB, Adeyemo SO. The antibacterial evaluation of Moringa oleifera leaf extracts on selected bacterial pathogens. J Microbiol Res 2012;2:1-4.
54. Elangovan M, Rajalakshmi A, Jayachitra A, Mathi P, Bhogireddy N. Analysis of phytochemicals, antibacterial and antioxidant activities of Moringa oleifera Lam. leaf extract-an in vitro study. Int J Drug Dev Res 2014;6:173-80.
55. Vinoth R, Manivasagaperumal R, Balamurugan S. Phytochemical analysis and antibacterial activity of Moringa oleifera Lam. Int J Res Biol Sci 2012;2:98-102.
56. Rao RR, George M, Pandalai KM. Pterygospermin; the antibacterial principle of Moringa pterygosperma, Gaertn. Nature 1946;158:745.
57. Tahiliani P, Kar A. Role of Moringa oleifera leaf extract in the regulation of thyroid hormone status in adult male and female rats. Pharmacol Res 2000;41:319-23.
58. Ndong M, Uehara M, Katsumata S, Suzuki K. Effects of oral administration of Moringa oleifera Lam on glucose tolerance in Goto- Kakizaki and Wistar rats. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2007;40:229-33.
59. Gupta R, Mathur M, Bajaj VK, Katariya P, Yadav S, Kamal R, et al. Evaluation of antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of Moringa oleifera in experimental diabetes. J Diabetes 2012;4:164-71.
60. Al-Malki AL, El Rabey HA. The antidiabetic effect of low doses of Moringa oleifera Lam. seeds on streptozotocin induced diabetes and diabetic nephropathy in male rats. Biomed Res Int 2015;2015:381040.
61. Mehta A, Agrawal B. Investigation into the mechanism of action Moringa oleifera for its anti asthmatic activity. Orient Pharm Exp Med 2008;8:24-31.
62. Nadkarni KM. Indian Materiamedica. Mumbai: Popular Prakashan; 1994. p. 1319.
63. Ranira G, Rimi H, Kaushik R, Debajani G. Effect of Moringa oleifera in experimental model of Alzheimer’s disease: Role of antioxidants. Ann Neurosci 2005;12:33-6.
64. Akram M, Nawaz A. Effects of medicinal plants on Alzheimer’s disease and memory deficits. Neural Regen Res 2017;12:660-70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.