THE EFFECTIVENESS OF USING SIWAK TOOTHPASTE ON PLAQUE ACCUMULATION IN FIXED ORTHODONTIC APPLIANCES USERS’
Objective: The objective of the study was to determine the ability of toothpaste containing Salvadora persica (Siwak) to reduce the accumulation of dirt in the oral cavity compared to ordinary toothpaste users in fixed orthodontic users.
Methods: It was conducted on 40 subjects, divided into two groups of A and B. Group A uses Siwak, while Group B uses ordinary toothpaste. The research subjects were students that utilized fixed appliances for at least 6 months and without periodontal disease. Data were obtained by measuring the plaque level before and after using the toothpaste.
Results: A significant relationship between the use of Siwak and ordinary toothpaste by reducing its accumulation in patients using fixed orthodontic appliances and a Chi-square statistical test value of 0.018.
Conclusion: The use of Siwak is more effective in reducing plaque accumulation in fixed orthodontic appliance users compared to ordinary toothpaste.
2. The Invention of the Toothbrush. Pennysylvania Dental Association. Available from: https://www.padental.org/Online/Public/Children/ Invention%20of%20Toothbrush.aspx. [Last cited on 2018 May 05].
3. Al-Teen RM, Said KN, Abu Alhaija ES. Siwak as a oral hygiene aid in patients with fixed orthodontic appliances. Int J Dent Hyg 2006;4:189-97.
4. Sofrata A, Brito F, Al-Otaibi M, Gustafsson A. Short term clinical effect of active and inactive Salvadora persica miswak on dental plaque and gingivitis. J Ethnopharmacol 2011;137:1130-4.
5. Prison, Suicide, and the Cold-climate Hog (the Sordid History of the Toothbrush). The Museum of Everyday Life. Available from: http:// www.museumofeverydaylife.org/exhibitions-collections/previous-exhibitions/toothbrush-from-twig-to-bristle-in-all-its-expedient-beauty/a-visual-history-of-the-toothbrush. [Last cited on 2018 May 05].
6. Eid MA, Selim HA, al-Shammery AR. Relationship between chewing sticks (miswak) and periodontal health. Part 1. Review of the literature and profile of the subjects. Quintessence Int 1990;21:913-7.
7. Khoory T. The use of chewing sticks in preventive oral hygiene. Clin Prev Dent 1983;5:11-4.
8. Chawla HS. A new natural source for topical fluoride. J Indian Dent Assoc 1983;55:419-22.
9. Haque MM, Alsareii SA. A review of the therapeutic effects of using miswak (Salvadora persica) on oral health. Saudi Med J 2015;36:530-43.
10. Keijser BJ, van den Broek TJ, Slot DE, van Twillert L, Kool J, Thabuis C, et al. The impact of maltitol-sweetened chewing gum on the dental plaque biofilm microbiota composition. Front Microbiol 2018;9:381.
11. Badawi H, Evans RD, Wilson M, Ready D, Noar JH, Pratten J. The effect of orthodontic bonding materials on dental plaque accumulation and composition in vitro. Biomaterials 2003;19:3345-59.
12. Boyd RL. Longitudinal evaluation of a system for self-monitoring plaque control effectiveness in orthodontic patients. J Clin Periodontol 1983;10:380-8.
13. Klukowska M, Bader A, Erbe C, Bellamy P, White DJ, Anastasia MK, et al. Plaque levels of patients with fixed orthodontic appliances measured by digital plaque image analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2011;139:e463-70.
14. Rizkika N, Baehaqi M, Putranto R. Efektivitas menyikat gigi dengan metode bass dan horizontal terhadap perubahan indeks plak pada anak tunagrahita. ODONTO Dent J Mei 2014;1:29-33.
15. Moshkelgosha V, Mehrvarz S, Saki M, Golkari A. Computer-based oral hygiene instruction versus verbal method in fixed orthodontic patients. J Dent Biomater 2017;4:353-60.
16. Brushing Technique: Bass and Modified Bass Methods. MedChrome. Available from: http://www.tube.medchrome.com/2013/04/brushing-technique-bass-and-modified.html. [Last cited on 2013 Feb 22].
17. Nield-Gehrig JS, Willmann DE. Foundations of Periodontics for the Dental Hygienist. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003. p. 67-73.
18. Bhat N, Bapat S, Asawa K, Tak M, Chaturvedi P, Gupta VV, et al. The antiplaque efficacy of propolis-based herbal toothpaste: A crossover clinical study. J Nat Sci Biol Med 2015;6:364-8.
19. Perry DA, Beemsterboer PL. Periodontology for the Dental Hygienist. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier; 2007.
20. Tsachannen RA. Miswak: Sticking with Tradition. The Muslim Times 2014. Available from: https://www.themuslimtimes.info/2014/07/14/ miswak-sticking-with-tradition. [Last cited on 2018 Aug 03].
21. Niazi F, Naseem M, Khurshid Z, Zafar MS, Almas K. Role of Salvadora persica chewing stick (miswak): A natural toothbrush for holistic oral health. Eur J Dent 2016;10:301-8.
22. Ardhana W. Identifikasi perawatan ortodonti spesialistik dan umum. Maj Ked Gi Juni 2013;20:1-8.
23. Balenseifen JW, Madonia JV. Study of dental plaque in orthodontic patients. J Dent Res 1970;49:320-4.
24. Ismail K. The use of miswak as toothbrush for orthodontic patient. Case Rep Dent 2016;2016:7472340.
25. Rusminah N, Pribadi IM, Thillainathan K. The efficacy of toothpaste containing kayu sugi (miswak) on dental plaque accumulation. Padjajaran J Dent 2018;30:24-7.
26. Azaripour A, Mahmoodi B, Habibi E, Willershausen I, Schmidtmann I, Willershausen B. Effectiveness of a miswak extract-containing toothpaste on gingival inflammation: A randomized clinical trial. Int J Dent Hyg 2017;15:195-202.
27. Baeshen H, Salahuddin S, Dam R, Zawawi KH, Birkhed D. Comparison of Fluoridated miswak and toothbrushing with fluoridated toothpaste on plaque removal and fluoride release. J Contemp Dent Pract 2017;18:300-6.
28. Nordin FN, Rahim ZA, Razzak MM, Bakri MM. The practice of using chewing stick (Salvadora persica) in maintaining oral health: Knowledge, perception and attitude of Malaysian Muslims adult. World Appl Sci J 2014;30:351-9.
29. Vamsi S, Latha P. Urolithiasisae an updated review over genetics, pathophysiology and its clinical management. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:23-31.
30. Mamdouh G, Ahmad G. Effect of viscosity, surfactant type and concentration on physicochemical properties of solid lipid nanoparticles. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:143-53.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.