ANTIOXIDATIVE AND FREE RADICAL SCAVENGING POTENTIALS OF HABENARIA PECTINATA
Objective: This study was designed to evaluate the antioxidative potential of tubers of Habenaria pectinata.
Methods: The tubers of H. pectinata were extracted using hexane, ethyl acetate, methanol, and water as solvents. The anti-oxidant potential of extracts was evaluated using free radical scavenging and reducing power assays. The most active methanolic extract was then fractionated into four fractions using the above-mentioned solvents.
Results: The phenol and flavonoid content was found to be maximum in the methanol extracts. All the extracts and fractions showed significant levels of antioxidant activity except hexane extract.
Conclusion: The tubers of H. pectinata were found to possess a significant antioxidant potential and can be explored further for isolation and preclinical investigation for the ailment of various diseased states and disorders.
2. Mitra A, Choudhury MD, Choudhury PR, Nath D, Das S, Talukdar AD. Antioxidative and free radical scavenging potentials of Cyclosorus interruptus (Willd.) H. Ito? and Pronephrium nudatum (Roxb. Ex Griff.) Holttum. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:87-94.
3. Chen X, Gale SW, Cribb PJ, Ormerod P. Flora of China. Vol. 25. Beijing, China, St. Louis: Science Press, Missouri Botanical Garden Press; 2009. p. 201-5.
4. Singh A, Duggal S. Medicinal orchids: An overview. Ethnobot Lealf 2009;3:3.
5. Rawat S, Jugran AK, Bahukhandi A, Bahuguna A, Bhatt ID, Rawal RS,et al. Anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties of some ethno-therapeutically important medicinal plants of Indian Himalayan Region. 3 Biotech 2016;6:154.
6. Lister E, Wilson P. Measurement of Total Phenolics and ABTS Assay for Antioxidant Activity (Personal Communication). New Zealand: Crop Research Institute, Lincoln; 2001.
7. Madaan R, Bansal G, Kumar S, Sharma A. Estimation of total phenols and flavonoids in extracts of Actaea spicata roots and antioxidant activity studies. Indian J Pharm Sci 2011;73:666-9.
8. Quettier-Deleu C, Gressier B, Vasseur J, Dine T, Brunet C, Luyckx M, et al. Phenolic compounds and antioxidant activities of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) hulls and flour. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;72:35-42.
9. Shimada K, Fujikawa K, Yahara K, Nakamura T. Antioxidative properties of xanthan on the autoxidation of soybean oil in cyclodextrin emulsion. J Agric Food Chem 1992;40:945-8.
10. Oyaizu M. Studies on products of browning reactions: Antioxidant activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucose amine. Jpn J Nutr 1986;44:307-15.
11. Gryglewski RJ, Korbut R, Robak J, Swies J. On the mechanism of antithrombotic action of flavonoids. Biochem Pharmacol 1987;36:317-22.
12. Suja S, Mohanasundari L. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of the mixture of ethanolic extracts of Alpinia speciosa and Alpinia calcarata rhizome. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:164-70.
13. Yamaguchi T, Takamura H, Matoba T, Terao J. HPLC method for evaluation of the free radical-scavenging activity of foods by using 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 1998;62:1201-4.
14. Gulcin I, Oktay M, Kirecci E, Kufrevio I. Screening of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of anise (Pimpella anisum L.) seed extracts. Food Chem 2003;83:371-82.
15. Siddhuraju P Mohan PS, Becker K. Studies on the antioxidant activity of Indian Laburnum (Cassia fistula L): A preliminary assessment of crude extracts from stem bark, leaves. Food Chem 2002;79:61-70.
16. Gurung R. Preliminary phytochemical screening total phenol and flavonoid content of Mimosa rubicaulis and Reinwardita indica. Int J Pharm 2020;1:54-8.
17. Jayaraman S, Variyar EJ. Immunomodulatory, anticancer and antioxidant activities of Cyclea peltata (Lam.) Hook. F. and Thomson. Int J Pharm 2019;10:40-6.
18. Gupta R, Singh RL, Gupta A. Comparative study on the antioxidant activities of methanolic and aqueous extracts of Terminalia bellerica. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;6:103-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.