RETROPERITONEAL LIPOSARCOMA-EXCISION OF RETROPERITONEAL TUMOR AND RIGHT NEPHRECTOMY: A CASE STUDY
A 64-year-old woman was referred to the hospital with complaints of abdomen right side tightness with discomfort for 1 month. Computed tomography scan of abdomen investigation revealed large retroperitoneal mass measuring 18.9 cm × 12.1 cm displacing the inferior vena cava right kidney and renal vessels in right hypochondriac and lumbar regions of the abdomen with large fat components. She underwent surgery, which involves the resection of tumor mass with non-affected surgical margins. These tumors tend to be resistant to radiotherapy or chemotherapy. Among the most important prognostic factor related to survival is surgery with non-affected margins. A review on etiology, pathophysiology, pathological classification, and grading is explained in literature review.
2. Qiu F, Xu C, Miao C. Retroperitoneal liposarcoma. In: Retroperitoneal Tumors. Dordrecht: Springer; 2018. p. 153-61.
3. Penel N, Grosjean J, Robin YM, Vanseymortier L, Clisant S, Adenis A. Frequency of certain established risk factors in soft tissue sarcomas in adults: A prospective descriptive study of 658 cases. Sarcoma 2008;2008:459386.
4. Linch M, Miah AB, Thway K, Judson IR, Benson C. Systemic treatment of soft-tissue sarcoma gold standard and novel therapies. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2014;11:187.
5. Goenka AH, Shah SN, Remer EM. Imaging of the retroperitoneum. Radiol Clin North Am 2012;50:333.
6. Stout AP. Liposarcoma the malignant tumor of lipoblasts. Ann Surg 1944;119:86-107.
7. Johnson ES. Important aspects of the evidence for TCDD carcinogenicity in man. Environ Health Perspect 1993;99:383-90.
8. Bedinger D, Khan SS, Mirza A, Narasimha AJ, Takeuchi T; Xoma Technology Ltd., Assignee. Antibodies Specific for TGF-? and Methods of Treatment Thereof. United States Patent US, No. 9,145,458; 2015.
9. Ballo MT, Zagars GK, Pollock RE, Benjamin RS, Feig BW, Cormier JN, et al. Retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma: An analysis of radiation and surgical treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007;67:158-63.
10. Lee AT, Thway K, Huang PH, Jones RL. Clinical and molecular spectrum of liposarcoma. J Clin Oncol 2018;36:151.
11. Nilbert M, Mitelman F, Mandahl N, Rydholm A, Willén H. MDM2 gene amplification correlates with ring chromosomes in soft tissue tumors. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1994;9:261-5.
12. Moll UM, Petrenko O. The MDM2-p53 interaction. Mol Cancer Res 2003;1:1001-8.
13. Matthyssens LE, Creytens D, Ceelen WP. Retroperitoneal liposarcoma:Current insights in diagnosis and treatment. Front Surg 2015;2:4.
14. Italiano A, Bianchini L, Gjernes E, Keslair F, Ranchere-Vince D, Dumollard JM, et al. Clinical and biological significance of CDK4 amplification in well-differentiated and dedifferentiated liposarcomas. Clin Cancer Res 2009;15:5696-703.
15. Wang N, Fallavollita L, Nguyen L, Galipeau J, Brodt P. For cancer research conference on metastasis. Clin Exp Metastasis 2009;26:849-934.
16. Snyder EL, Sandstrom DJ, Law K, Fiore C, Sicinska E, Brito J, et al. c-Jun amplification and over expression are oncogenic in liposarcoma but not always sufficient to inhibit the adipocytic differentiation programme. J Pathol 2009;218:292-300.
17. Cheng EY, Thompson RC. Instructional course lectures, the American academy of orthopaedic surgeons-new developments in the staging and imaging of soft-tissue sarcomas. J Bone Joint Surg 1999;81:882-92.
18. Landry CS, Brock G, Scoggins CR, McMasters KM, Martin RC 2nd. A proposed staging system for small bowel characinoid tumors based on an analysis of 6,380 patients. Am J Surg 2008;196:896-903.
19. Miettinen M, Lasota J. Gastrointestinal stromal tumors-definition, clinical, histological, immunohistochemical, and molecular genetics features and differential diagnosis. Virchows Arch 2001;438:1-2.
20. Scott SM, Reiman HM, Pritchard DJ, Ilstrup DM. Soft tissue fibrosarcoma. A clinicopathologic study of 132 cases. Cancer 1989;64:925-31.
21. Coindre JM. Grading of soft tissue sarcomas: Review and update. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2006;130:1448-53.
22. Hasegawa T. Histological grading and MIB-1 labelling index of soft-tissue sarcomas. Pathol Int 2007;57:121-5.
23. Ardoino I, Miceli R, Berselli M, Mariani L, Biganzoli E, Fiore M, et al. Histology-specific nomogram for primary retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma. Cancer 2010;116:2429-36.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.