COMPARISON OF PERFORMANCE OF TWO WIDAL TEST TECHNIQUES WITH STOOL CULTURE IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF TYPHOID FEVER AT THE DSCHANG DISTRICT HOSPITAL, WEST CAMEROON
Objective: This study is aimed to compare the performance of two Widal test techniques with stool culture in the diagnosis of typhoid fever.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was performed at the Dschang District Hospital in patients clinically suspected to have typhoid fever, whose stool was collected for stool culture. Furthermore, venous blood was collected and the serum was tested by both Widal slide agglutination test and Widal tube titration test.
Results: The results showed that out of 750 participants include in the study, 325 (43.33%) were positive for Widal slide agglutination test, 174 (23.20%) for Widal tube titration test, and 159 (21.20%) for stool culture. The sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, and negative predictive value of Widal slide agglutination test with respect to stool culture were 97.48%, 71.23%, 47.69%, and 99.22%, respectively, but 100%, 97.46%, 91.37%, and 100% for the Widal tube titration test. With the stool culture, Widal slide agglutination test had a moderate agreement (kappa = 0.47), but Widal tube titration test had an absolute agreement (kappa = 0.94).
Conclusion: Widal tube titration test should be used in place of Widal slide agglutination test in the diagnosis of typhoid fever in the case of limited access to stool culture test.
2. Khan S, Miah MR, Haque S, Naheen CR. Comparison of results obtained by widal agglutination test and polymerase chain reaction among clinically suspected typhoid fever cases. Bangladesh J Physiol Pharmacol 2014;30:46-50.
3. Crump JA, Luby SP, Mintz ED. The global burden of typhoid fever. Bull World Health Organ 2004;82:346-53.
4. Ismail A. New advances in the diagnosis of typhoid and detection of typhoid carriers. Malaysian J Med Sci 2000;7:3-8.
5. Wain J, Diep TS, Bay PV, Walsh AL, Vinh H, Duong NM, et al. Specimens and culture media for the laboratory diagnosis of typhoid fever. J Infect Dev Ctries 2008;2:469-74.
6. Wijedoru L, Mallett S, Cm P. Rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid and paratyphoid (enteric) fever (review). Cochrane Libr 2017;2017:CD008892.
7. Bhutta ZA. Current concepts in the diagnosis and treatment of typhoid fever. BMJ 2006;333:78-82.
8. Ley B, Mtove G, Thriemer K, Amos B, Seidlein L Von, Hendriksen I, et al. Evaluation of the widal tube agglutination test for the diagnosis of typhoid fever among children admitted to a rural hdospital in Tanzania and a comparison with previous studies. BioMed Cent Infect Dis 2010;10:180.
9. Lim P, Tam FC, Cheong Y. One-step 2-minute test to detect typhoid-specific antibodies based on particle separation in tubes one-step 2-minute test to detect typhoid-specific antibodies based on particle separation in tubes. J Clin Microbiol 1998;36:2271-8.
10. Olsen SJ, Pruckler J, Bibb W, Thi N, Thanh M, Trinh TM, et al. Evaluation of rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid fever. J Clin Microbiol 2004;42:1885-9.
11. Noorbakhsh S, Rimaz S, Mamishi S. Interpretation of the widal test in infected children. Iran J Public Health 2003;32:35-7.
12. Itah AY, Akpan CJ. Correlation studies on widal agglutination reaction and diagnosis of typhoid fever. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2004;35:88-91.
13. Ibadin MO, Ogbimi A. Antityphoid agglutinins in African school aged children with malaria. West Afr J Med 2004;23:276-9.
14. Olopoenia LA, King AL. Widal agglutination test-100 years later : Still plagued by controversy. Postgrad Med J 2000;76:80-4.
15. Jahan N, Khatoon R, Mehrotra S, Kumar S. Comparative evaluation of slide agglutination and widal tube agglutination test in detecting enteric fever among patients attending a tertiary care hospital in North India. Int J Res Med Sci 2016;4:4290-6.
16. Ramyil M, Ihuoma O, Ogundeko TO, Ameh JM, Olorundare F, Adeniyi OG, et al. Comparative study on the use of widal test and stool culture in the laboratory diagnosis of salmonella infection in adult and children in jos metropolis, Plateau state, Nigeria. Int J Sci Res 2013;2:435- 41.
17. Ameya G, Atalel E, Kebede B, Yohannes B. Comparative study of widal test against stool culture for typhoid fever suspected cases in Southern Ethiopia. Pathol Lab Med Int 2017;2017:1-7.
18. Tankeshwar A. Widal Test: Principle, Procedure, Results, Interpretation, Significance and Limitation-learn Microbiology; 2015. Available from: https://www.microbeonline.com/widal-test-principle-procedure-results. [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 22].
19. Altman DG, Bland JM. Diagnostic tests 2: Predictive values. Br Med J 1994;309:102.
20. Gaikwad UN, Rajurkar M. Diagnostic efficacy of widal slide agglutination test against widal tube agglutination test in enteric fever. Int J Med Public Health 2014;4:6-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.