METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF LAMIVUDINE AND ZIDOVUDINE IN TABLET BY REVERSE-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY
Objective: The objective of the study was to develop and validate reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method and apply method to tablet dosage form.
Methods: A simple, rapid, economical, precise, and accurate RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and zidovudine in their combined dosage form has been developed.
Results: A RP-HPLC method was developed for the simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and zidovudine. In their combined dosage form has been developed. The separation was achieved by LC-C18 column (150 mm ×4.6 mm, 5 μm) and water: methanol (65:35v/v) as mobile phase, at a flow rate of 0.8 ml/min. Detection was carried out at 272 nm. Retention time of lamivudine and zidovudine was found to be 3.007 min and 4.647, respectively. The method has been validated for linearity, accuracy, and precision. The assay method was found to be linear from 50% to 150% for lamivudine and zidovudine.
Conclusion: Developed method was found to be accurate, precise, and rapid for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and zidovudine in their combined dosage form.
2. Available from: https://www.pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/ lamivudine#section=chemical-and-physical-properties. [Last accessed on 2020 Jan ???].
3. British Pharmacopeia. British Pharmacopeia Commission Office. London: British Pharmacopeia; 2010. p. 1241-3.
4. Kumar DA, Naveenbabu MV, Seshagirirao JV, Jayatirtharao V. Simultaneous determination of lamivudine, zidovudine and nevirapine in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC Method. Rasayan J Chem 2010;3:94-9.
5. Raja T, Lakshamana A. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of abacavir, lamivudine and zidovudine in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J PharmTech Res 2011;3:852-7.
6. The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention. The United State Pharmacopoeia: UPS 31, The National Formulary: NF 26. Vol. 2. Rockville, MD: The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention; 2008. p. 2498-9.
7. Available from: https://www.pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/ 35370. [Last accessed on 2020 Jan ???].
8. Indian Pharmacopoeia. The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. Vol. 3. Ghaziabad: Indian Pharmacopoeia; 2014. p. 3003-9.
9. The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention. The United State Pharmacopoeia: UPS 31; The National Formulary: NF 26. Vol. 3. Rockville, MD: The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention; 2008. p. 3539-41.
10. Dos Santos JV, de Carvahlo LA. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for the determination of zidovudine and its related substances in sustained-release tablets. Anal Sci 2011;27:283-90.
11. Padmaja M, Prashanth KN, Suresha JN. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of efavirenze, lamivudine and zidovudine in tablet dosage form. J Bio Innov 2017;6:286-305.
12. FDA. Guidance for Industry; Analytical Procedures and Methods Validation (Draft guidance), Food and Drug administration. Rockville: US Department of Health and Human Services, FDA; 2000.
13. Kamala GR, Vadrevu S, Valli KN. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and zidovudine in bulk. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:28-33.
14. Juluri KD, Rajan RG. RP-HPLC method developmemt and validation for simultaneous estimation and forced degradation studies of lamivudine and raltegravir in solid dosage form. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:242-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.