DEVELOPMENT OF BILAYER TABLETS OF LOSARTAN POTASSIUM AND METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE LAYER USING NATURAL GUMS AS POLYMERS
bilayer tablets of losartan and metformin
Objective: The aim of this research work was to develop and evaluate a bilayer formulation of losartan potassium and metformin hydrochloride for the treatment of diabetic patients with hypertension. In the present study, losartan potassium as immediate-release (IR) layer and metformin hydrochloride as a sustained-release (SR) layer were selected.
Methods: The polymers selected were fenugreek gum, sweet potato starch, and ispaghula gum as natural disintegrants for IR layer and guar gum, xanthan gum, and pectin for SR layer. Bilayer tablets were developed by employing the two layers.
Results: For IR layer, L4 formulation with 5% ispaghula gum as natural disintegrant showed 98.94% drug release was selected as an optimized layer. For sustained layer, F2 formulation with 18.75% guar gum as drug retardant showed 97.17% drug release was selected as optimized layer. Optimized formulation followed zero-order kinetics. When the release data was plotted into Higuchi and Korsmeyer-Peppas equations, then it was confirmed that the optimized formulation exhibited a Fickian diffusion type drug release.
Conclusion: Tablets prepared with 5% ispaghula gum and 18.75% guar gums as drug retardants were found to be useful for bilayer tablet formulation with desired drug release characteristics.
2. Aulton ME. The Design and Manufacture of Medicines. 3rd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2007. p. 92-6.
3. Brahmankar DM, Jaiswal SB. Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics. 1st ed. New Delhi: Vallabh Prakashan; 1995. p. 53-61.
4. Ansel HC, Allen LV, Popovich NG. Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems. 7th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2000. p. 89-94.
5. Ballard BE. Remington’s Pharmaceutical Sciences. 6th ed. Easton, PA: Mack Publishing Company; 1990. p. 113-21.
6. Musle K, Payghan A, Disuza JI. Formulation, evaluation and development of bilayer tablet. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2011;4:80-7.
7. Tripathi KD. Essential of Medical Pharmacology. 6th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Private Ltd.; 2008. p. 488-90.
8. Losartan. Available from: http://www.drugs.com/ppa/losartan-potassium.html. [Last accessed on 2019 Jan 18].
9. Losartan. Available from: http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00678. [Last accessed on 2019 Jan 18].
10. Metformin. Available from: http://www.drugs.com/pro/metformin. html. [Last accessed on 2019 Feb 10].
11. Metformin. Available from: http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/db00331. [Last accessed on 2019 Feb 10].
12. Sheskey PJ, Cook WG, Cable CG. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. 8th ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press; 2017. p. 76-9,110-3,121-6.
13. Srivastava P, Malviya R. Sources of pectin, extraction and its applications in pharmaceutical industry-an overview. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2011;2:10-8.
14. Brabet C, Reynoso D, Mestres C, Arredondo J, Scott G. Starch Content and Properties of 106 Sweet Potato Clones from World Germplasm Collection. CIP Program Report 1997-1998. Lima, Peru: CIP Program Report; 1998.
15. Sukhavasi S, Kishore VS. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of amlodipine besylate by using fenugreek seed mucilage and Ocimum basilicum gum. Int Curr Pharm J 2012;6:113-9.
16. Jeevana JB, Jyosna D. Multiparticulate drug delivery systems using natural polymers as release retardant materials. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:61-5.
17. Maurya DP, Sultana Y, Aqil M, Kumar D, Chuttani K, Ali A, et al. Formulation and optimization of alkaline extracted ispaghula husk microparticles of isoniazid-in vitro and in vivo assessment. J Microencapsul 2011;28:472-83.
18. Kolhe SS, Dabhade MP. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release bilayer tablets of losartan potassium. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;2:276-83.
19. Babu GS, Kumar DV, Aishwarya M, Malathy PS. Formulation and in-vitro characterization of sustained release matrix tablets of metformin hydrochloride. J Glob Trends Pharm Sci 2014;2:98-109.
20. Kesharvani S, Jaiswal PK, Mukerjee A, Singh AK. Formulation and evaluation of metformin hydrochloride loaded floating microsphere. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2020;12:74-82.
21. Arayne MS, Sultana N, Zuberi MH, Siddiqui FA. Spectrophotometric quantitation of metformin in bulk drug and pharmaceutical formulations using multivariate technique. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;2:96-100.
22. Kaveri K, Saravanan C, Mozhi MT. Simultaneous estimation of losartan potassium and amlodipine besylate in tablet dosage form by UV spectrophotometer. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:96-100.
23. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Indian Pharmacopoeia. Ghaziabad: The Indian Pharmacopoeial Commission; 2010. p. 1607-9, 1657-9,751-4.
24. Shukla AK, Kumar M, Bishoni RS, Jain CP. Applications of fenugreek seed gum: In novel drug delivery. Asian J Biomat Res 2017;3:1-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.