CORRELATION OF RENAL DIMENSIONS AND GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE WITH HEIGHT, WEIGHT, BODY MASS INDEX, AND BODY SURFACE AREA IN CHILDREN
Objective: The objective of the study was to estimate glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) and renal dimension and establish a correlation with age, weight, height, body mass index (BMI), and body surface area (BSA) of children and to measure renal dimensions (craniocaudal length, anteroposterior length, and transverse length) of both kidneys of 1–10 years children.
Methods: A total of 500 children from 1 to 10 years old were screened by ultrasonography to measure renal craniocaudal length, anteroposterior length, and transverse width of the kidney. Length, width, thickness, and cortical size of the kidneys were also measured.
Results: There was a positive correlation of renal dimension with age, weight, height, BMI, and BSA. There also was a positive correlation of eGFR with other renal parameters.
Conclusion: Renal dimension and eGFR were correlate with age, weight, height, BMI, and BSA in children.
2. Geelhoed JJ, Verburg BO, Nauta J, Lequin M, Hofman A, Moll HA, et al. Tracking and determinants of kidney size from fetal life until the age of 2 years: The Generation R study. Am J Kidney Dis 2009;53:248-58.
3. Abitbol CL, DeFreitas MJ, Strauss J. Assessment of kidney function in preterm infants: Lifelong implications. Pediatr Nephrol 2016;31:2213-22.
4. Kasiske BL, Keane WF. Laboratory assessment of renal disease: Clearance, urinalysis, and renal biopsy. In: Brenner BM, editor. Brenner & Rector’s the Kidney. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 1996. p. 1129-63.
5. Schwartz GJ, Munoz A, Schneider MF, Mak RH, Kaskel F, Warady BA, et al. New equations to estimate GFR in children with CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol 2009;20:629-37.
6. Sambasivan AS, Lepage N, Filler G. Cystatin C intrapatient variability in children with chronic kidney disease is less than serum creatinine. Clin Chem 2005;51:2215-6.
7. Bacchetta J, Cochat P, Rognant N, Ranchin B, Hadj-Aissa A, Dubourg L. Which creatinine and cystatin C equations can be reliably used in children? Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011;6:552-60.
8. Khati NJ, Hill MC, Kimmel PL. The role of ultrasound in renal insufficiency: The essentials. Ultrasound Q 2005;21:227-44.
9. O’Neill WC. Sonographic evaluation of renal failure. Am J Kidney Dis 2000;35:1021-38.
10. Kim BW, Song MK, Chung S, Kim KS. Evaluation of kidney size in children: A pilot study of renal length as a surrogate of organ growth. Korean J Pediatr 2012;55:54-7.
11. Wong IY, Copp HL, Clark CJ, Wu HY, Shortliffe LD. Quantitative ultrasound renal parenchymal area correlates with renal volume and identifies reflux nephropathy. J Urol 2009;182:1683-7.
12. Bakker J, Olree M, Kaatee R, De Lange EE, Moons KG, Beutler JJ, et al. Renal volume measurements: Accuracy and repeatability of US compared with that of MR imaging. Radiology 1999;211:623-8.
13. Okoye IJ, Agwu KK, Idigo FU. Normal sonographic renal length in adult Southeast Nigerians. Afr J Med Med Sci 2005;34:129-31.
14. Pruijm M, Ponte B, Ackermann D, Vuistiner P, Paccaud F, Guessous I, et al. Heritability, determinants and reference values of renal length: A family-based population study. Eur Radiol 2013;23:2899-905.
15. Ganesh R, Vasanthi T, Lalitha J, Rajkumar J, Muralinath S. Correlation of renal length with somatic variables in Indian children. Indian J Pediatr 2010;77:326-8.
16. Geelhoed JJ, Kleyburg-Linkers VE, Snijders SP. Reliability of renal ultrasound measurements in children. Pediatr Nephrol 2009;24:1345-53.
17. Robbin ML. Ultrasound contrast agents: A promising future. Radiol Clin North Am 2001;39:399-414.
18. Kim JH, Kim MJ, Lim SH, Kim J, Lee MJ. Length and volume of morphologically normal kidneys in Korean children: Ultrasound measurement and estimation using body size. Korean J Radiol 2013;14:677-82.
19. Shin HS, Chung BH, Lee SE, Kim WJ, Ha HI, Yang CW. Measurement of kidney volume with multi-detector computed tomography scanning in young Korean. Yonsei Med J 2009;50:262-5.
20. Cheong B, Muthupillai R, Rubin MF, Flamm SD. Normal values for renal length and volume as measured by magnetic resonance imaging. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2007;2:38-45.
21. Safak AA, Simsek E, Bahcebasi T. Sonographic assessment of the normal limits and percentile curves of liver, spleen, and kidney dimensions in healthy school-aged children. J Ultrasound Med 2005;24:1359-64.
22. Dhingra B, Sharma S, Mishra D, Kumari R, Pandey RM, Aggarwal S. Normal values of liver and spleen size by ultrasonography in Indian children. Indian Pediatr 2010;47:487-92.
23. Gavela T, Sánchez M, Gómez G, Gallego S, Martínez-Pérez J, Pintado MT. Ultrasonographic study of kidney size in children. Nefrología J 2006;26:325-9.
24. Haugstvedt S, Lundberg J. Kidney size in normal children measured by sonography. Scand J Uronephrol 1980;14:251-5.
25. Otiv A, Mehta K, Ali U, Nadkarni M. Sonographic measurement of renal size in normal Indian children. Indian Pediatr 2012;49:533-6.
26. Younus N, Raza F, Bhugio S, Zehra N, Gul P, Mehmood W, et al. Sonographic measurement of normal renal size and correlation with somatic variables in subset of Karachi pediatric population. Pak J Med Dent 2015;4:24-9.
27. Christophe C, Cantraine F, Bogaert C, Coussement C, Hanquinet S, Spehl M, et al. Ultrasound: A method for kidney size monitoring in children. Eur J Pediatr 1986;145:532-8.
28. Soyupak SK, Narli N, Yapicioglu H, Satar M, Sungur EH. Sonographic measurements of the liver, spleen and kidney dimensions in the healthy term and preterm newborns. Eur J Radiol 2002;43:73-8.
29. Schmidt IM, Mølgaard C, Main KM, Michaelsen KF. Effect of gender and lean body mass on kidney size in healthy 10-year-old children. Pediatr Nephrol 2001;16:366-70.
30. Adibi A, Adibi I, Khosravi P. Do kidney sizes in ultrasonography correlate to glomerular filtration rate in healthy children. Australas Radiol 2007;51:555-9.
31. Zuzuárregui JR, Mallios R, Murphy J. The effect of obesity on kidney length in a healthy pediatric population. Pediatr Nephrol 2009;24:2023-7.
32. Akhavan A, Brajtbord JS, McLeod DJ, Kabarriti AE, Rosenberg HK, Stock JA. Simple, age-based formula for predicting renal length in children. Urology 2011;78:405-10.
33. Caglar V, Kumral B, Uygur R, Alkoc OA, Ozen OA, Demirel H. Study of volume, weight and size of normal pancreas, spleen and kidney in adults autopsies. Forensic Med Anat Res 2014;2:63-9.
34. Okur A, Serin HI, Zengin K, Erkoc MF, Tan?k S, Y?ld?r?m U. Relationship between kidney volume and body indexes in the Turkish population determined using ultrasonography. Int Braz J Urol 2014;40:816-22.
35. Chew-Harris JS, Florkowski CM, Elmslie JL, Livesey J, Endre ZH, George PM. Lean mass modulates glomerular filtration rate in males of normal and extreme body composition. Intern Med J 2014;44:749-56.
36. Miliku K, Bakker H, Dorresteijn EM, Cransberg K, Franco OH. Childhood estimates of glomerular filtration rate based on creatinine and cystatin C: Importance of body composition. Am J Nephrol 2017;45:320-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.