ABHRAK BHASMA AND SiO2 INFLUENCED FREE RADICAL STATUS IN LIVER AND KIDNEY OF CCl4-INDUCED ACUTELY INTOXICATED MALE ALBINO RAT
Objective: The objective of the study was to study the mechanism of action of abhrak bhasma-mediated liver and kidney protection in CCl4-induced acute hepatotoxicity-induced male albino rats. Action of abhrak bhasma is compared with the action of SiO2 in similar experimental conditions to differentiate the role of silicon.
Methods: Male albino rats (Rattus norvegicus) were used for experiments. The acute hepatotoxicity was induced by daily dose of CCl4 (3.0 ml/kg body wt for 7 days consecutive). Concurrent treatment of abhrak bhasma in graded doses (10, 20, 30, and 40 mg) was given for 7 days (PO). SiO2 (10, 20, 30, and 40 mg) in graded doses was also given in independent groups of rats as silica control. Lipid peroxidation (LPO) in liver and kidney was studied by malondialdehyde (MDA) estimations as parameter of toxicity and also to study protection.
Results: CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity (MDA levels) is partially managed by low doses of SiO2 but not by high doses. Abhrak bhasma hepatoprotective activities were dose dependent. A 40 mg dose maintained normal levels of LPO. Abhrak bhasma also protected associated renal toxicity.
Conclusion: Abhrak bhasma protected CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity and also associated renal toxicity. Silicon from both SiO2 and abhrak bhasma is hepatoprotective in 10 ml doses (10 and 20 mg) but silicon processed in abhrak bhasma by traditional Ayurvedic processes increased its potency and hepatoprotection and added the potency of renal protection.
2. Devarshi P, Kanase A, Kanase R, Mane S, Patil S, Varute AT. Effect of mandur bhasma on lipolytic activities of liver, kidney and adipose tissue of albino rat during CCl4 induced hepatic injury. J Biosci 1986;10:227-34.
3. Kanase RN. Effects of Ayurvedic Drugs on the Lysosomal Enzymes of Liver and Kidney after CCl4 Induced Injury in Albino Rats. A Ph. D. Thesis Submitted to Shivaji University, Kolhapur; 1998.
4. Teli P, Chougule P, Jadhav J, Kanase A. Abhrak bhasma mediated alterations in liver and kidney functions in male albino rats during CCl4 induced toxicity. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2013;4:696-700.
5. Patil S, Kanase A, Kulkarni PH. Effect of hepatoprotective Ayurvedic drugs on lipolytic activities during CCl4 induced acute hepatic injury in albino rats. Indian J Exp Biol 1993;31:265-9.
6. Burk RF, Lane JM, Patel K. Relationship of oxygen and glutathione in protection against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic microsomal lipid peroxidation and covalent binding in the rat. Rationale for the use of hyperbaric oxygen to treat carbon tetrachloride ingestion. J Clin Invest 1984;74:1996-2001.
7. Kaplowitz N, Aw TY, Simon FR, Stolz A. Drug induced hepatotoxicity. Ann Intern Med 1986;104:826-39.
8. Esterbauer H. Lipid peroxidation products: Formation, chemical properties and biological activities. In: Poli G, Cheeseman KH, Dianzani MV, Slater TF, editors. Free Radicals in Liver Injury. Oxford: IRI Press Oxford; 1985. p. 29-47.
9. Gawel S, Wardas M, Niedworok E, Wardas P. Malandialdehyde (MDA) as a lipid peroxidation marker. Wiad Lek 2004;57:453-55.
10. Vaca CE, Wilhelm J, Harms-Ringdahl M. Interaction of lipid peroxidation products with DNA. A review. Mutat Res 1988;195:137-49.
11. Esterbauer H, Schaur RJ, Zollner H. Chemistry and biochemistry of 4-hydroxynonenal, malonaldehyde and related aldehydes. Free Radical Biol Med 1991;11:81-128.
12. Isabella DD, Ranieri R, Roberto C, Daniela G, Aldo M. Biomarkers of oxidative damage in human disease. Clin Chem 2006;52:601-23.
13. Romero FJ, Bosch-Morell F, Romero MJ, Jareno EJ, Romero B, Marin N, et al. Lipid peroxidation products and antioxidants in human disease. Environ Health Perspect 1998;106:1229-34.
14. Sharma S. Rasa Ratna Samuchhaya. New Delhi: Motilal Banrasidas; 1977. p. 72-108.
15. Buege JA, Aust SD. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol 1978;52:304-10.
16. Teli P, Jadhav J, Kanase A. Comparison of abhrak bhasma and silicon dioxide efficacy against single dose of carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity in rat by evaluation of lipid peroxidation. Am J Pharm Health Res 2014b;2:186-96.
17. Renold ER, Ree HJ. Liver parenchymal cell injury. VII. Membrane denaturation following CCl4. J Cell Biol 1971;25:269.
18. Recknagel RO, Glende EA. Lipid peroxidation a specific form of cellular injury. In: Lee DH, Falk HL, Murphy SD, editors. Hand Book of Physiology: Section 9: Reactions to Environmental Agents. Washington, DC: American Physilological Society; 1978. p. 591-602.
19. Recknagel RO. A new direction in the study of carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity. Life Sci 1983;33:401.
20. Teli PB, Chougule PB, Jadhav JT, Kanase AA. Curative effect of abhrak bhasma on liver and kidney functions in carbon tetrachloride intoxicated albino rats. Int J Bioassays 2014a;3:1624-9.
21. Buwa SK. Hepatoprotective and Curative Effects of Abhrak Bhasma on Liver, Kidney and Adipose Tissue of Male Albino Rats. A Ph. D. Thesis Submitted to Shivaji University, Kolhapur; 2000.
22. Priti C. Abhrak Bhasma Mediated Alterations in Lysosomal Enzymes Activities of Liver and Kidney in Male Albino Rats against CCl4 Induced Hepatic Injury. A Ph. D. Thesis Submitted to Shivaji University, Kolhapur; 2007.
23. Yoshikawa T, Furukawa Y, Murakami M, Takemura S, Kondo M. Effect of Vitamin E on D-Galactosamine-induced or carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity. Digestion 1982;25:222-9.
24. Halim AB, El-Ahmady O, Hassab-Allah S, Abdel-Galil F, Hafez Y, Darwish A. Biochemical effect of antioxidants on lipids and liver function in experimentally induced liver damage. Ann Clin Biochem 1997;34:656-63.
25. Farghali H, Kamenikova L, Hynie S, Kmonickova E. Silymarin effects on intracellular calcium and cytotoxicity: A study in perfused rat hepatocytes after oxidative stress injury. Pharmacol Res 2000;41:231-7.
26. Tripathi YB, Singh VP. Role of tamra bhasma, an Ayurvedic preparation, in the management of lipid peroxidation in liver of albino rats. Indian J Exp Biol 1996;34:66-70.
27. Suja V, Sharmila SL, Shyamala DC. Protective effect of Liv. 52 and Liv. 100, ayurvedic formulations on lipid peroxidation in rat liver homogenates an in vitro study. Indian J Exp Biol 1997;35:50-2.
28. Agte V, Mengale SS, Akkalkotkar M, Paknikar KM, Chiplonkar SA. Antioxidant and trace element potential of chyavanprash and some Ayurvedic preparation. Indian J Tradit Knowl 2003;2:215-23.
29. Elbakry KA, Malak CA, Howas MM. Immunomodulatory role of honey and propolis on carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) injected rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:259-62.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.