HPTLC METHOD FOR ESTIMATION AND QUANTIFICATION OF β-SITOSTEROL FROM IN-VIVO AND IN-VITRO SAMPLES OF MERREMIA AEGYPTIA AND MERREMIA DISSECTA
Objective: A normal-phase high-performance thin-layer chromatography (HPTLC) method has been developed and validated for estimation and quantitation of beta-sitosterol from the methanolic fraction of different plant parts of two medicinally important plants viz. Merremia aegyptia and Merremia dissecta. These plants have been reported to possess antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory activities.
Methods: Chromatographic separation of beta-sitosterol from the methanolic extracts of plant parts of M. aegyptia and M. dissecta was performed on TLC aluminum plates pre-coated with silica gel 60F254 using a suitable mobile phase. The densitometric scanning was done after derivatization at ????-580 nm for ????-sitosterol.
Result: Only M. dissecta leaf sample was reported to contain ????-sitosterol (4.6 ng/μl), whereas other samples such as seed, stem, and callus extracts of M. aegyptia and M. dissecta did not showed its presence.
Conclusion: The developed HPTLC method is simple, rapid, and precise and can be used for routine analysis and quantification of ????-sitosterol and other useful plant bioactives that are phytopharmaceutically important.
2. Tatu A, Miettinen A, Helena G. Ineffective decrease of serum cholesterol by simvastatin in a subgroup of hypercholesterolemic coronary patients. Atherosclerosis 2002;164:147-52.
3. MacLatchy DL, Der V, Kraak GJ. The phytoestrogen beta-sitosterol alters the reproductive endocrine status of goldfish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1995;134:305-12.
4. Zak A, Vecka M, Tvrzicka E, Hruby M, Novak F, Papezova H, et al. Composition of plasma fatty acids and non-cholesterol sterols in anorexia nervosa. Physiol Res 2005;54:443-51.
5. Awad AB, Fink CS. Phytosterols as anticancer dietary components: Evidence and mechanism of action. J Nutr 2000;1:2127-30.
6. Bouic PJ, Etsebeth S, Liebenberg RW, Albrecht CF, Pegel K, Van Jaarsveld PP. Beta-sitosterol and beta-sitosterol glucoside stimulate human peripheral blood lymphocyte proliferation: Implications for their use as an immune modulatory vitamin combination. Int J Immunopharmacol 1996;18:693-700.
7. Frank N, Andrews FM, Elliott SB, Lew J, Boston RC. Effects of rice bran oil on plasma lipid concentrations, lipoprotein composition, and glucose dynamics in mares. J Anim Sci 2005;83:2509-18.
8. Awad AB, Chan KC, Downie AC, Fink CS. Peanuts as a source of beta-sitosterol, a sterol with anticancer properties. Nutr Cancer 2000;36:238-41.
9. Bidawat S. Evaluation of Balanites aegyptiaca (Hingota) an Arid Zone Medicinal Plant for Phytochemically Important Metabolites, Ph. D Thesis. India, Ajmer: M.D.S. University; 2006.
10. Nile SH, Park SW. HPTLC analysis, antioxidant and antigout activity of Indian plants. Iran J Pharm Res 2014;13:531-9.
11. Kamboj A, Saluja A. Development of validated HPTLC method for quantification of stigmasterol from leaf and stem of Bryophyllum pinnatum. Arabian J Chem 2017;10:2644-50.
12. Mishra J, Singh RD, Jadon VS, Gusain MP, Aradhana, HPTLC profile of quercetin content of common bean (Uttarakhand) landraces growing in Uttarakhand. Am J Food Technol 2012;7: 96-100.
13. Srinivasa H, Bagul M, Padh H. A rapid densitometric method for the quantification of luteolin in medicinal plants using HPTLC. Chromatographia 2004;60:131-4.
14. Felicia FA, Muthulingam M. Phytochemical and HPTLC studies of methanolic extract of Indigofera tinctoria (Fabaceae). Int J Pharm Life Sci 2012;3:1670-74.
15. Bhandare SB, Laddha KS. Simultaneous quantification of kaempferol and quercetin in medicinal plants using HPTLC. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2016;7:2379-84.
16. Habib MR, Nikkon F, Rahman M, Haque ME, Karim MR. Isolation of stigmasterol and B sitosterol from methanolic extract of root bark of Calotropis gigantean (Linn.) Pak J Biol Sci 2007;10:4174-6.
17. Rathee D, Rathee S, Rathee P, Deep A, Anandjiwala S, Rathee D. HPTLC densitometric quantification of stigmasterol and lupeol from Ficus religiosa. Arabian J Chem 2015;8:366-71.
18. Gurupriya S, Cathrine I, Pratheema P. HPTLC method for the determination of lupeol from Andrographis echioides leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:102-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.