INSIGHT OF METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF VENTILAGO MADERASPATANA LEAVES ON HEPATOPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY UNDER STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETIC RATS
Objective: The methanolic leaf extract of Ventilago maderaspatana (MEVML, 200 mg/kg body weight [b.w.]) was investigate to hepatoprotective activity under streptozotocin-induced (45 mg/kg b.w.) diabetic (Di) rats.
Methods: In the present study, we determined the blood glucose levels, b.w., insulin, creatinine, and bilirubin levels in normal, Di, Di treated with MEVML and positive control rats.
Results: The Di rats shown adverse changes in blood glucose levels, b.w., insulin, creatinine, and bilirubin levels when compared to other group rats. Reverse the adverse changes in the above parameters when treated the Di rats with MEVML
Conclusion: The MEVML shown anti-diabetic activity and reverse the adverse changes in the above parameters in liver so that the MEVML supported the traditional claim of the hepatoprotective activity under Di condition.
2. De Silva DD, Rapior S, Hyde KD, Bahkali AH. Medicinal mushrooms in prevention and control of diabetes mellitus. Fungal Divers 2012;56:1-29.
3. Whiting DR, Guariguata L, Weil C, Shaw J. IDF diabetes atlas: Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011;94:311-21.
4. Ramasamy R, Yan SF, Schmidt AM. The diverse ligand repertoire of the receptor for advanced glycation endproducts and pathways to the complications of diabetes. Vascul Pharmacol 2012;57:160-7.
5. Wiernsperger NF. Oxidative stress as a therapeutic target in diabetes revisiting the controversy. Diabetes Metab 2003;29:579-85.
6. Khalil H. Diabetes microvascular complications-a clinical update. Diabetes Metab Syndr Clin Res Rev 2017;11:S133-42.
7. Papatheodorou K, Papanas N, Banach M, Papazoglou D, Edmonds M. Complications of diabetes 2016. J Diabetes Res 2016;2016:6989453.
8. Ahmad J. The diabetic foot. Diabetes Metab Syndr Clin Res Rev 2016;10:48-60.
9. Hassan SK, El-Sammad NM, Mousav AM, Mohammed MH, Farrag AR, El HashimAN, et al. Hypoglycemic and antioxidant activities of Caesalpinia ferrea Martius leaf extract instreptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2015;5:462-71.
10. Tappy L, Minehira K. New data and new concepts on the role of the liver in glucose homeostasis. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2001;4:273-7.
11. Prasath GS, Subramanian SP. Fisetin, a tetra hydroxy flavone recuperates antioxidant status and protects hepatocellular ultrastructure from hyperglycemia mediated oxidative stress in streptozotocin induced experimental diabetes in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2013;59:249-6.
12. Zimmet P, Alberti KG, Shaw J. Global and societal implications of the diabetes epidemic. Nature 2001;414:782-7.
13. Rains JL, Jain SK. Oxidative stress, insulin signaling and diabetes. Free Radic Biol Med 2011;50:567-75.
14. Chetty M. Flowering Plants of Chittor District. 1st ed. Tirupati: Students Offsets Printers; 2008. p. 68.
15. Mahmood M, Vazir M, Moinuddin K, Amaravadi D. Evaluation of hepatoprotective activity of whole plant of Ventilago maderaspatana. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2011;4:44-53.
16. Bailey CJ, Day C. Traditional plant medicines as treatments for diabetes. Diabetes Care 1989;12:553-11.
17. Kawde AB, Batra RJ, Weginwar RG, Akkewar DM, Gond GS, Aparna Y. Preliminary phytochemical screening and bio evaluation studies of stem bark of Ventilago maderaspatana Garten. Int J Res Pharm Chem. 2014;4:74-82.
18. Kumar M, Nelsonkumar S, Rajaram C, Rupesh S, Reddy KK. Evaluation of cardioprotective effect of methanolic extract of Ventilago maderaspatana against isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in experimental rats. Int J Adv Pharm Res 2012;3:1167-78.
19. Sindhura S, Chinna ME. Evaluation of stroke preventive effect of ethanolic extract of Ventilago maderasptana Gaertn against bilateral carotid artery occlusion (BCAO) induced stroke in rats. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2014;4:1-6.
20. Amrutha B, Sathianarayanan S, Nair A, Varghese E, Gopal RV, Sreelakshmi KS. Preliminary phytochemical screening and cytotoxic activity of ethanolic extract of Ventilago maderaspatana against human breast cancer. Int J Adv Pharm Biol Sci 2011;5:75-83.
21. Bassey OA, Lowry OH, Brock MJ. A method for the rapid determination of alkaline phosphates with five cubic millimeters of serum. J Biol Chem 1946;164:321-5.
22. Tomlison KC, Gardiner SM, Hebden RA. Functional consequences of streptozotocin induced diabetes mellitus, with particular reference to the cardiovascular system. Pharmacol Rev 1992;44:103-47.
23. Fernandes N, Lagishetty CV, Panda VS, Naik SR. An experimental evaluation of the antidiabetic and antilipidemic properties of a standardized Momordica charantia fruit extract. BMC Complement Altern Med 2007;7:29.
24. Banagar AV, Shivakumar B, Jayaveera KN. Effect of Xylia dolabriformis leaves extract on high fructose diet induced C57BL/6J ob/ob diabetic mice. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:4032-45.
25. Kumar AB, Sharma DE, Varshney CP, Rao CV. Antidiabetogenic and antioxidant effects of Caralluma attenuata extract on streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. J Pharm Res 2013;7:257-62.
26. Gharas HE. Polyphenols: Food sources, properties and applications-a review. IJFST 2009;44:2512-8.
27. Ahmadian M, Suh JM, Hah N, Liddle C, Atkins RA, Downes M, et al. PPAR signaling and metabolism: The good, the bad and the future. Nat Med 2013;19:557-66.
28. Ponugoti B, Dong G, Graves DT. Role of fork head transcription Q15 factors in diabetes-induced oxidative stress. Exp Diabetes Res 2012;2012:939751.
29. Saravanan G, Ponmurugan P, Kumar GP, Rajarajan T. Antidiabetic properties of S-allyl cysteine, a garlic component on streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. J Appl Biomed 2009;7:151-60.
30. Devaraj S, Jialal I, Vega-Lopez S. Plant sterol-fortified orange juice effectively lowers cholesterol levels in mildly hypercholesterolemic healthy individuals. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2004;24:25-33.
31. Nicolle E, Souard F, Faure P, Boumendjel A. Flavonoids as promising lead compounds in Type 2 diabetes mellitus: Molecules of interest and structureactivity relationship. Curr Med Chem 2011;18:2661-72.
32. Xiang FL, Lu X, Strutt B, Hill DJ, Feng Q. NOX2 deficiency protects against streptozotocin-induced beta-cell destruction and development of diabetes in mice. Diabetes 2010;59:2603-11.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.