GLIMPSE STUDY: IMPACT OF TRIPLE THERAPY ON LUNG FUNCTION, HEALTH STATUS, AND MORTALITY RISK IN PATIENTS WITH ADVANCED CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE
Objectives: The objectives of the study were to estimate the relative impact of triple therapy on lung function, health status, and mortality risk compared with combination inhaled corticosteroid (ICS)/long-acting β-agonist (LABA) therapy in symptomatic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients with frequent exacerbations in an Indian clinical population.
Methodology: The GLIMPSE (Lung Function, Health Status, and Mortality Risk Assessment in COPD using Triple Therapy) was as a prospective, parallel design, single-center observational study comparing 24 weeks of triple therapy (twice-daily combination of budesonide [BUD]-formoterol [FOR] [100/6 μg] and once-daily tiotropium [TIO] [9 μg]) with ICS/LABA (twice daily BUD-FOR [100/6 μg]). The primary outcome was the mean change in forced expiratory volume in the 1st s (FEV1%) predicted and COPD assessment test total score from baseline at week 24. Secondary outcomes were variation in dyspnea grade and BODE total score from baseline.
Results: At week 24 in triple therapy (n=70) and ICS/LABA therapy (n=70), mean difference from baseline in FEV1% predicted were 5.40 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.29–9.50) and 1.90 (95% CI: –1.87–5.68) respectively, and mean difference in CAT total score from baseline was –5.10 units (95% CI: –3.49–−6.71) and –1.80 units (95% CI: –0.052–−3.548), respectively. In addition, there was a statistically significant reduction in dyspnea grading and BODE score with comparable adverse events in both groups.
Conclusion: Overall, the results favored triple therapy over dual therapy in advanced symptomatic COPD patients.
2. American Lung Association Epidemiology and Statistics Unit. Trends in COPD. Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema: Morbidity and Mortality; 2013. Available from: http://www.lung.org/assets/documents/research/ copd-trend-report. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 12].
3. World Health Organization. Global Burden of Disease; 2016. Available from: http://www.who.int/topics/global_burden_of_disease. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 12].
4. Pascoe SJ, Lipson DA, Locantore N, Barnacle H, Brealey N, Mohindra R, et al. A phase III randomised controlled trial of single-dose triple therapy in COPD: The IMPACT protocol. Eur Respir J 2016;48:320-30.
5. Miller MR, Hankinson J, Brusasco V, Burgos F, Casaburi R, Coates A, et al. Standardisation of spirometry. Eur Respir J 2005;26:319-38.
6. Munari AB, Gulart AA, Dos Santos K, Venâncio RS, Karloh M, Mayer AF. Modified medical research council dyspnea scale in GOLD classification better reflects physical activities of daily living. Respir Care 2018;63:77-85.
7. MRC Dyspnoea Scale/MRC Breathlessness Scale. Available from: https://www.mrc.ukri.org/research/facilities-and-resources-for-researchers/mrc-scales/mrc-dyspnoea-scale-mrc-breathlessness-scale.
8. Cote CG, Celli BR. Pulmonary rehabilitation and the BODE index in COPD. Eur Respir J 2005;26:630-6.
9. Abd-Elaziz AA, Alwahsh RA, Abd-Elaal GA, Tameem AA. Correlation between CAT score, inflammatory markers and pulmonary function tests in patient with acute exacerbation of COPD. Egypt J Chest Dis Tuberc 2017;66:243-6.
10. Martinez FJ, Boscia J, Feldman G, Scott-Wilson C, Kilbride S, Fabbri L, et al. Fluticasone furoate/vilanterol (100/25; 200/25 ?g) improves lung function in COPD: A randomised trial. Respir Med 2013;107:550-9.
11. Kerwin EM, Scott-Wilson C, Sanford L, Rennard S, Agusti A, Barnes N, et al. A randomised trial of fluticasone furoate/vilanterol (50/25 ?g; 100/25 ?g) on lung function in COPD. Respir Med 2013;107:560-9.
12. Rennard SI, Tashkin DP, McElhattan J, Goldman M, Ramachandran S, Martin UJ, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of budesonide/formoterol in one hydrofluoroalkane pressurized metered-dose inhaler in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Results from a 1-year randomized controlled clinical trial. Drugs 2009;69:549-65.
13. Tashkin DP, Rennard SI, Martin P, Ramachandran S, Martin UJ, Silkoff PE, et al. Efficacy and safety of budesonide and formoterol in one pressurized metered-dose inhaler in patients with moderate to very severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Results of a 6-month randomized clinical trial. Drugs 2008;68:1975-2000.
14. Singh D, Papi A, Corradi M, Pavlišová I, Montagna I, Francisco C, et al. Single inhaler triple therapy versus inhaled corticosteroid plus long-acting ?2-agonist therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (TRILOGY): A double-blind, parallel group, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2016;388:963-73.
15. Dransfield MT, Bourbeau J, Jones PW, Hanania NA, Mahler DA, Vestbo J, et al. Once-daily inhaled fluticasone furoate and vilanterol versus vilanterol only for prevention of exacerbations of COPD: Two replicate double-blind, parallel-group, randomised controlled trials. Lancet Respir Med 2013;1:210-23.
16. Sharafkhaneh A, Southard JG, Goldman M, Uryniak T, Martin UJ. Effect of budesonide/formoterol pMDI on COPD exacerbations: A double-blind, randomized study. Respir Med 2012;106:257-68.
17. Siler TM, Kerwin E, Tombs L, Fahy WA, Naya I. Triple therapy of umeclidinium+inhaled corticosteroids/long-acting beta2 agonists for patients with COPD: Pooled results of randomized placebo-controlled trials. Pulm Ther 2016;2:43-58.
18. Siler TM, Kerwin E, Sousa AR, Donald A, Ali R, Church A. Efficacy and safety of umeclidinium added to fluticasone furoate/vilanterol in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Results of two randomized studies. Respir Med 2015;109:1155-63.
19. Wedzicha JA, Banerji D, Chapman KR, Vestbo J, Roche N, Ayers RT, et al. Indacaterol-glycopyrronium versus salmeterol-fluticasone for COPD. N Engl J Med 2016;374:2222-34.
20. Lipson DA, Barnacle H, Birk R, Brealey N, Locantore N, Lomas DA, et al. FULFIL trial: Once-daily triple therapy for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017;196:438-46.
21. Vestbo J, Papi A, Corradi M, Blazhko V, Montagna I, Francisco C, et al. Single inhaler extrafine triple therapy versus long-acting muscarinic antagonist therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (TRINITY): A double-blind, parallel group, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2017;389:1919-29.
22. Papi A, Vestbo J, Fabbri L, Corradi M, Prunier H, Cohuet G, et al. Extrafine inhaled triple therapy versus dual bronchodilator therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (TRIBUTE): A double-blind, parallel group, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2018;391:1076-84.
23. Worth H, Buhl R, Criée CP, Kardos P, Mailänder C, Vogelmeier C. The ‘real-life’ COPD patient in Germany: The DACCORD study. Respir Med 2016;111:64-71.
24. Lipson DA, Barnhart F, Brealey N, Brooks J, Criner GJ, Day NC, et al. Once-daily single-inhaler triple versus dual therapy in patients with COPD. N Engl J Med 2018;378:1671-80.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.