LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY–MASS SPECTROMETRY/MASS SPECTROMETRY METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF LAPATINIB IN RAT PLASMA: APPLICATION TO PHARMACOKINETIC STUDIES IN WISTAR RATS
Objective: The objective of the study was to develop and validate a simple, accurate, and sensitive liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC–MS)/MS method for the determination of lapatinib a dual tyrosine kinase inhibitor in rat plasma using gefitinib as internal standard.
Methods: An Inertsil ODS column (50 mm×4.6 mm×5 μm) was used for separation with isocratic elution of 10 mM ammonium formate-acetonitrile (5:95 v/v). Analyte and internal standard were extracted from 50 μl of plasma using tertiary butyl methyl ether followed by subsequent reconstitution in a mixture of water-acetonitrile.
Results: The extraction recoveries were 95% and 98% for lapatinib and gefitinib, respectively. The lower limit of quantification was 5 ng/ml with a precision of 6.2% and accuracy of 108%. The response was found to be linear over the range of 5–1000 ng/ml with a correlation coefficient of 0.999. The intraday and interday precision expressed as relative standard deviation was <15%.
Conclusion: This validated method was applied to the pharmacokinetic study in Wistar rats. The proposed bioanalytical LC–MS/MS method for lapatinib is a simple, sensitive, and accurate to quantify the concentrations in rat plasma.
2. Xia W, Mullin RJ, Keith BR, Liu LH, Ma H, Rusnak DW, et al. Anti-tumor activity of GW572016:414 a dual tyrosine kinase inhibitor blocks EGF activation of EGFR/erbB2 and downstream Erk1/2 and AKT pathways. Oncogene 2002;21:6255-63.
3. Burris HA. Dual kinase inhibition in the treatment of breast cancer; initial experience with the EGFR/ErbB-2 inhibitor Lapatinib. Oncologist 2004;9:10-5.
4. Bai F, Freeman BB, Fraga CH, Fouladi M, Stewart CF. Determination of Lapatinib (GW572016) in human plasma by liquid chromatography electrospray tandem mass spectrometry (LC-ESI-MS/MS). J Chromatogr B 2006;831:169-75.
5. Roche S, McMahon G, Clynes M, O’Connor R. Development of a high-performance liquid chromatographic-mass spectrometric method for the determination of cellular levels of the tyrosine kinase inhibitors Lapatinib and Dasatinib. J Chromatogr B Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2009;877:3982-90.
6. Couchman L, Birch M, Ireland R, Corrigan A, Wickramasinghe S, Josephs D, et al. An automated method for the measurement of a range of tyrosine kinase inhibitors in human plasma or serum using turbulent flow liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Bioanal Chem 2012;403:1685-95.
7. Bouchet S, Chauzit E, Ducint D, Castaing N, Canal-Raffin M, Moore N, et al. Simultaneous determination of nine tyrosine kinase inhibitors by 96-well solid-phase extraction and ultra-performance LC/MS-MS. Clin Chim Acta 2011;41:1060-7.
8. Lankheet NA, Hillebrand MJ, Rosing H, Schellens JH, Beijnen JH, Huitema AD. Method development and validation for the quantification of dasatinib, erlotinib, gefitinib, imatinib, lapatinib, nilotinib, sorafenib and sunitinib in human plasma by liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. Biomed Chromatogr 2013;27:466-76.
9. Haouala A, Zanolari B, Rochat B, Montemurro M, Zaman K, Duchosal MA, et al. Therapeutic drug monitoring of the new targeted anticancer agents imatinib, nilotinib, dasatinib, sunitinib, sorafenib and lapatinib by LC tandem massspectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2009;877:1982-96.
10. AndriamananaI, G, Duretz B, Hulin A. Simultaneous analysis of anticancer agents bortezomib, imatinib, nilotinib, dasatinib, erlotinib, lapatinib, sorafenib, sunitinib and vandetanib in human plasma using LC/MS/MS. J Chromatogr B 2013;926:83-91.
11. Goteze L, Hegele A, Metzelder SK, Renz H, Nockher WA. Development and clinical application of a LC-MS/MS method for simultaneous determination of various tyrosine kinase inhibitors in human plasma. Clin Chim Acta 2012;413:143-9.
12. Wu J, Wiegand R, LoRusso P, Li J. A stable isotope-labeled internal standard is essential for correcting for the interindividual variability in the recovery of Lapatinib from cancer patient plasma in quantitative LC-MS/MS analysis. J Chromatogr B 2013;941:100-8.
13. Musijowski J, Filist M, Rudzki PJ. Sensitive single quadrupole LC/ MS method for determination of lapatinib in human plasma. Acta Pol Pharm Drug Res 2014;71:1029-36.
14. Escudero-Ortiz V, Pérez-Ruixo JJ, Valenzuela B. Development and validation of a high-performance liquid chromatography-ultraviolet method for Lapatinib quantification in human plasma. Ther Drug Monit 2013;35:796-802.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.