BUCCAL FILM: A NOVEL APPROACH FOR ORAL MUCOSAL DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM
Buccal drug delivery especially refers to the delivery of drugs through the buccal mucosal membrane lining of the oral cavity. For geriatric and pediatric patients who undergo difficulties in swallowing conventional oral solid dosage forms, the buccal film is a better alternative. The buccal film is appropriate for the drugs which experience high first-pass metabolism and is used for enhancing bioavailability with reducing dosing frequency to mouth plasma peak levels, which thus limit side-effects and make it cost-effective. It enhances the efficacy of API in the oral cavity after the contact with less saliva as contrasted to tablets, without chewing and no need for water for administration. This review briefly describes the advantages and limitations of buccal film, an anatomical structure of oral mucosa, highlighting the mechanisms of drug permeation, formulation technologies, methodology in evaluating buccal film, and recent advances of the buccal film as a tool for drug delivery for various treatments.
2. Patel NA, Shah DP, Patel TJ. A novel approach for buccal drug delivery system-buccal film. Pharm Sci Monit 2016;7:166-83.
3. Semalty A, Semalty M, Nautiyal U. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films of enalapril maleate. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:571-5.
4. Bhati R, Nagarajan R. A detailed review on oral mucosal drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci 2012;3:659-81.
5. Shojaei AH. Buccal mucosa as a route for systemic drug delivery: A review. J Pharm Pharm Sci 1998;1:15-30.
6. Verma S, Kaul M, Rawat A, Sanil A. An overview on buccal drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci 2011;2:1303-21.
7. Lee JW, Park JH, Robinson JR. Bioadhesive-based dosage forms: The next generation. J Pharm Sci 2000;89:850-66.
8. Veuillez F, Kalia YN, Jacques J, Deshusses, Buri P. Factor and strategies for improving buccal absorption of peptides. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2001;51:93-109.
9. Gawas S M, Dev A, Deshmukh G, Rathod S. Current approaches in buccal drug delivery system. Pharm Biol Eval 2016;3:165-77.
10. Shrivastava G. A novel approach for buccal drug delivery system. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:1744-60.
11. Joseph RR, Vincet KL. Lee Controlled Drug Delivery. 2nd ed. New York: Marcel Decker Inc.; 1987. p. 42-3.
12. Rao NGR, Shravani B, Reddy MS. Overview on buccal drug delivery systems. J Pharm Sci Res 2013;5:80-8.
13. Banarjee T. A review on fast dissolving films for buccal delivery. Int J Sci Res 2015;1:117-23.
14. Nayaka SK, Manjunath K, Pawan C. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films of dothiepin HCL. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2020;18:535-48.
15. Mamatha Y, Prasanth VV, Selvi A, Sipai AM, Yadav V. Buccal drug delivery a technical approach. J Drug Deliv Ther 2012;2:26-33.
16. Bhowmik D, Niladry C. Mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery system an overview. J Adv Pharm Educ Res 2013;3:319-31.
17. Miller NS, Johnston TP. The use of mucoadhesive polymers in buccal drug delivery. Adv Drug Deliv 2002;57:1666-91.
18. Ramesh B. A review on buccal drug delivery system. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2014;5:200-20.
19. Moataz MF, Mohamed JS. Creation and assessment of buccal mucoadhesive sustained release oral films. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2019;16:30-41.
20. Khairnar GA, Sayyad FJ. Development of buccal drug delivery system based on mucoadhesive polymer. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:719-35.
21. Benedict A, Mathew MM, Sathyan J, Thomas J. Buccal film: An emerging technology for oral drug delivery. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2017;9:204-13.
22. Puratchikody A, Prasanth VV, Mathew ST, Kumar AB. Buccal drug delivery: Past, present and future a review. Int J Drug Deliv 2011;3:171-84.
23. Alexander A, Ajazuddin S, Tripathi DK, Verma T, Maurya J, Patel S. Mechanism responsible for mucoadhesion of drug delivery system: A review. Int J App Biol Pharm Technol 2011;2:434-45.
24. Roychowdhury S, Gupta R, Saha S. A review on buccal mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. Indo Glob J Pharm Sci 2011;1:223-33.
25. Singh R, Sharma D, Garg R. Review on mucoadhesive drug delivery system with special emphasis on buccal route: An important tool in designing of novel controlled drug delivery system for the effective delivery of pharmaceuticals. J Dev Drugs 2017;6:1-2.
26. Malpure DR, Deore SL. Buccal mucoadhesive films: A review. Syst Rev Pharm 2017;8:31-8.
27. Patel M, Karigar A, Savaliya P, Ramana NV, Ashwini M. Buccal drug delivery system: The current interest. Int J Pharm 2011;2:4-11.
28. Bhalodia R, Basu B, Garala K. Buccoadhesive drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2010;2:1-31.
29. Ramesh B, Saravanakumar K, Nagaveni P, Kumar V. A review on buccal drug delivery system. Int J Res 2014;5:200-4.
30. Reddy PC, Chaitanya KS, Rao YM. A review on bioadhesive buccal drug delivery systems: Current status of formulation and evaluation methods. Daru 2011;19:385-403.
31. Muhammad UM, Safwan S. Buccal patches: An advanced route of drug dosage delivey a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2017;10:206-16.
32. Kumar V, Aggarwal G, Zakir F, Choudhary A. Buccal bioadhesive drug delivery a novel technique. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2011;1:89-102.
33. Shaikh R, Singh TR, Donnelly RF. Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2011;3:89-100.
34. Rajaram DM, Sharada DL. Buccal mucoadhesive films: A review. Syst Rev Pharm 2017;8:31-8.
35. Sheoran R. Buccal drug delivery system: A review. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2018;50:40-6.
36. Jagtap VD. Buccal film a review on novel drug delivery system. Int J Res Rev 2020;7:17-28.
37. Samita G, Kumar G. Fast dissolving drug delivery and its technologies. Pharm Innov 2012;1:34-39.
38. Bhandari HP, Yadav J. Review on mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery. Pharm Sci Monit 2018;9:345-362.
39. Madhav NV, Semwal R, Semwal DK, Semwal RB. Recent trends in oral transmucosal drug delivery systems: An emphasis on the soft palatal route. Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2012;9:629-47.
40. Dahiya M, Saha S, Shahiwala AF. A review on mouth dissolving films. Curr Drug Deliv 2009;6:469-76.
41. Dan?k Z, Gajdziok J, Doležel P, Landová H, Vetchý D, Štembírek J. Buccal films as a dressing for the treatment of aphthous lesions. J Oral Path Med 2017;46:301-6.
42. Sakellariou P, Rowe RC. Interactions in cellulose derivative films for oral drug delivery. Prog Polym Sci 1995;20:889-942.
43. McIndoe LM, Rowe RC, Sheskey PJ, Owen SC. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. London: Pharmaceutical Press; 2006. p. 128-30.
44. Rekha MS, Sultana SK, Mahathi K, Parveen P, Prathima B, Devi AS. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving buccal film containing isradipine solid dispersion. Am J Pharm Tech Res 2015;5:221-47.
45. Dave V, Mishra A. A review on promising novel drug delivery system-bioadhesive drug delivery system. Curr Res Pharm Sci 2017;7:69-78.
46. Prakash I, Dubois GE, Clos JF, Wilkens KL, Fosdick LE. Development of rebiana, a natural, non-caloric sweetener. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:S75-82.
47. Balakrishna T. Formulation and evaluation of lansoprazole fast dissolving buccal films. Asian J Pharm 2018;12:2422.
48. Wale A, Weller PJ. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: American Pharmaceutical Association; 1994. p. 24, 27, 352, 448.
49. Barnhart SD, Sloboda MS. Dissolvable films the future of dissolvable films. Drug Dev Tech 2007;1:34-5.
50. Mahajan A, Chhabra N, Aggarwal G. Formulation and characterization of fast dissolving buccal films: A review. Pharm Lett 2011;3:152-65.
51. Pol SV, Jagtap RS, Doijad RC, Desai JR, Pawar JD, Jadhav VV, et al. Review on fast dissolving buccal film: An emergency treatment. Int J Innov Sci Res Tech 2017;2:277-81.
52. Vishwakarma AK. A review on oral films: From theory to practice. Rex J 2017;4:432-43.
53. Patel A. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of chitosan/Karaya Gum Interpolymer complex based mucoadhesive buccal films of tramadol HCL. Asian J Pharm 2018;11:1721.
54. Kulkarni AS, Deokule HA, Mane MS, Ghadge DM. Exploration of different polymers for use in the formulation of oral fast dissolving strips. J Curr Pharm Res 2010;2:33-5.
55. Ansari M, Sadarani B, Majumdar A. Optimization and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films loaded with resveratrol. J Drug Deliv Sci Tech 2018;44:278-88.
56. Irfan M, Rabel S, Bukhtar Q, Qadir MI, Jabeen F, Khan A. Orally disintegrating films: A modern expansion in drug delivery system. Saudi Pharm J 2016;24:537-46.
57. Juluru NS. Fast dissolving oral films: A review. Int J Adv Pharm Biol Chem 2013;2:108-12.
58. Xu J, Bovet LL, Zhao K. Taste masking microspheres for orally disintegrating tablets. Int J Pharm 2008;359:63-9.
59. Morales JO, McConville JT. Manufacture and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal films. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2011;77:187-99.
60. Perumal VA, Lutchman D, Mackraj I, Govender T. Formulation of monolayered films with drug and polymers of opposing solubilities. Int J Pharm 2008;358:184-91.
61. Kohda Y, Kobayashi H, Baba Y, Yuasa H, Ozeki T, Kanaya Y, et al. Controlled release of lidocaine hydrochloride from buccal mucosa-adhesive films with solid dispersion. Int J Pharm 1997;158:147-55.
62. Wong C, Yuen K, Peh K. Formulation and evaluation of controlled release Eudragit buccal patches. Int J Pharm 1999;178:11-22.
63. Khanna R, Agarwal SP, Ahuja A. Preparation and evaluation of bio erodible buccal tablets containing clotrimazole. Int J Pharm 1996;138:67-73.
64. Amin PM, Gangurde AB, Alai PV. Oral film technology: Challenges and future scope for pharmaceutical industry. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2015;3:184-203.
65. Ceballos A, Cirri M, Maestrelli F, Corti G, Mura P, influence of formulation and process variables on in-vitro release of theophylline from directly compressed Eudragit matrix tablets IL. Farmaco 2005;60:913-8.
66. Lala R, Thorat AA, Gargote CS, Awari NG. Preparation of buccoadhesive polymeric film of ketoprofen and its evaluation. Asian J Pharm Sci 2011;6:267-74.
67. Basahih TS, Alamoudi AA, El-Say KM, Alhakamy NA, Ahmed OA. Improved transmucosal delivery of glimepiride via unidirectional release buccal film loaded with Vitamin E TPGS-based nanocarrier. Dose Response 2020;18:1-12.
68. Jagdale S, Hable A, Chabukswar A, Kuchekar B. Improvement of dissolution rate of chlorzoxazone by solid dispersion technique and development of buccal patch. J Appl Solution Chem 2013;2:145-57.
69. Gherman S, Zavastin D, Ochiuz L, Biliuta G, Coseri S. Enalapril maleate loaded pullulan film for mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery applications. Cell Chem Technol 2016;50:593-600.
70. Sarojini S. Formulation development of olmesartan medoxomil mucoadhesive buccal film. Asian J Pharm 2016;10:S510-7.
71. Kianfar F, Chowdhry BZ, Antonijevic MD, Boateng JS. Novel films for drug delivery via the buccal mucosa using model soluble and insoluble drugs. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2012;38:1207-20.
72. Lohani A, Prasad N, Rajeshwar KK. Formulation and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal films of ranitidine hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:2457-62.
73. Abouhussein DM, Abd El-Bary A, Shalaby SH, El-Namarari MA. Chitosan mucoadhesive buccal films: Effect of different casting solvents on their physicochemical properties. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:206-13.
74. Deepthi A, Reddy BV, Navaneetha K. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving oral films of zolmitriptan. Am J Adv Drug Deliv 2014;2:153-63.
75. Govindasamy P, Reddy BK, Narasimha JK. Formulation of unidirectional release buccal patches of carbamazepine and study of permeation through porcine buccal mucosa. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3:995-1002.
76. Peddapalli H, Chinnala KM, Nagaraj B. Design and in vitro characterization of mucoadhesive buccal patches of duloxetine hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:52-9.
77. Kaur A, Kaur G. Mucoadhesive buccal patches based on interpolymer complexes of chitosan-pectin for delivery of carvedilol. Saudi Pharm J 2012;20:21-7.
78. Gorle A, Patli P, Bhaskar R, Ola M. Development and evaluation of buccal film containing antihypertensive agent. J Pharm Innov 2015;4:53-60.
79. Kshirasagar N, Thamada N, Naik VN, Gopla MS. Design and evaluation of chitosan containing mucoadhesive buccal patch fluoxetine HCL. Int J Sci Res 2012;2:1-5.
80. Salehi S, Boddohi S. New formulation and approach for mucoadhesive buccal film of rizatriptan benzoate. Prog Biomater 2017;6:175-87.
81. Doijad RC, Manvi FV, Rao VS, Patel PS. Buccoadhesive drug delivery system of isosorbide dinitrate: Formulation and evaluation. Int J Pharm Sci 2006;68:744-8.
82. Ammanage A, Rodriques P, Kempwade A, Hiremath R. Formulation and evaluation of buccal films of piroxicam co-crystals. Future J Pharm Sci 2020;6:16.
83. Lodhi M, Dubey A, Narayan R, Prabhu P, Priya S. Formulation and evaluation of buccal film of Ivabradine hydrochloride for the treatment of stable angina pectoris. Int J Pharm Investig 2013;3:47.
84. Bulhe PJ, Mahajan SK, Ghule P. Formulation and evaluation of buccal patches by using natural gum. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2016;6:684-95.
85. Lachmann L. The Theory and Practical of Industrial Pharmacy. 3rd ed. India: Varghese Publishing House; 1991. p. 344-8.
86. Muhammad I, Rabel S, Bukhtar Q, Muhammad IQ, Jabeen F, et al. Orally disintegrating films: A modern expansion in drug delivery system. Saudi Pharm J 2016;24:537-46.
87. Kaur M, Rana AC, Seth N. Fast dissolving films: An innovative drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Res All Sci 2001;2:14-24.
88. Habib W, Khankari R, Hontz J. Fast-dissolve drug delivery system. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carr Sys 2000;17:61-72.
89. Pongjanyakul T, Suksri H. Alginate-magnesium aluminum silicate films for buccal delivery of nicotine. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2009;74:103-13.
90. Yehia SA, El-Gazayerly ON, Basalious EB. Design and in vitro/in vivo evaluation of novel mucoadhesive buccal discs of an antifungal drug: Relationship between swelling, erosion, and drug release. AAPS PharmSciTech 2008;9:1207-17.
91. Nair AB, Al-Ghannam AA, Al-Dhubiab BE, Hasan AA. Mucoadhesive film embedded with acyclovir loaded biopolymeric nanoparticles: In vitro studies. J Young Pharm 2017;9:100-5.
92. Jin BZ, Dong XQ, Xu X, Zhang FH. Development and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive patches of methotrexate for targeted delivery in oral cancer. Oncol Lett 2018;15:2541-9.
93. Gilhotra RM, Ikram M, Srivastava S, Gilhotra N. A clinical perspective on mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery systems. J Biomed Res 2014;28:81-97.
94. Thimmasetty J, Pandey GS, Babu S Pr. Design and in vivo evaluation of carvedilol buccal mucoadhesive patches. Pak J Pharm Sci 2008;21:241-8.
95. Semalty M, Semalty A, Kumar G. Formulation and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal films of glipizide. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70:43-8.
96. Muzib YI, Kumari KS. Mucoadhesive buccal films of glibenclamide: Development and evaluation. Int J Pharma Investig 2011;1:42-7.
97. Panda SP, Haldar PK, Das SU. In vitro hypoglycemic and antimicrobial activity of Cucumis callosus (Rottl.) Cogn fruit. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:77-81.
98. Hassan N, Khar RK, Ali M, Ali J. Development and evaluation of buccal bioadhesive tablet of an anti-emetic agent ondansetron. AAPS PharmSciTech 2009;10:1085-92.
99. James EM, Drisya PM, Jose WM. Olanzapine combined with standard antiemetic regimens for prevention of chemotherapy therapy-induced nausea and vomiting: A single-center experience from South India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:247-51.
100. Sabry SA. Sodium cromoglycate mucoadhesive buccal patches: Design, fabrication, in vitro and in vivo characterization. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:76-82.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.