A REVIEW ON THE FIFTH PANDEMIC: CORONAVIRUS
Since the 1918 flu pandemic, the novel human coronavirus outbreak COVID-19 has been the fifth known pandemic. COVID-19 was first identified in Wuhan, China, and later spread across the world. It is an infectious disease caused by the coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) extreme acute respiratory syndrome virus. The patients exhibit flu-like symptoms, including dry cough, sore throat, high fever, and trouble in breathing. Despite too much affords, there is no appropriate treatment or medication which is a successful COVID-19 therapy. A variety of candidate drugs are being used for the treatment and reviewed. This involves clinically accessible medications that are being repurposed for the treatment of COVID-19, such as chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine, and lopinavir/ritonavir. This review describes the different aspects of corona such as history, origin and spread, its types, life cycle, epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment, and precautions. This review makes us understand what type of virus is this and how we can take precautions to protect us from this life-threatening virus. There is an immediate need to prepare our young generation to fight against any such catastrophe in the future, if any, of science and technology. There is no reason to worry and to fight this epidemic, careful prevention and control are necessary. This article can help to create public awareness, knowledge, avoiding, handling, and treating COVID-19.
2. Wang D, Hu B, Hu C. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel Coronavirus-infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. J Am Med Assoc 2020;323:1061-9.
3. Monisha B, Manpreet WK. COVID19-an overview of epidemiology, symptoms, prevention, management, treatment, and role of health workers international. J Appl Pharm 2020;12:36-41.
4. Guo YR, Cao QD, Hong ZS, Tan YY, Chen SD, Jin HJ, et al. The origin, transmission and clinical therapies on Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak-an update on the status. Mil Med Res 2020;7:11.
5. Angham GH, Mohammed K, Nany H, Emad Y, Salam AM. A review on COVID-19: Origin, spread, symptoms, treatment, and prevention. Biointerface Res Appl Chem 2020;10:7234-42.
6. Hilgenfeld R. From SARS to MERS: Crystallographic studies on Coronaviral proteases enable antiviral drug design. FEBS J 2014;281:4085-96.
7. Cui J, Li F, Shi ZL. Origin and evolution of pathogenic Coronaviruses. Nat Rev Microbiol 2019;17:181-92.
8. Muhammad AS, Suliman K, Abeer K, Nadia B, Rabeea S. COVID-19 infection: Origin, transmission, and characteristics of human CORONAVIRUSes. J Adv Res 2020;24:91-8.
9. Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel Coronavirus-infected pneumonia. N Engl J Med 2020;382:1199-207.
10. Tian X, Li C, Huang A, Xia S, Lu S, Shi Z. Potent Binding of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Spike Protein by a SARS Coronavirus-Specific Human Monoclonal Antibody, bioRxiv; 2020.
11. Pengfei S, Xiaosheng L, Chao X, Wenjuan S, Pan B. Understanding of COVID?19 based on current evidence. J Med Virol 2020;92:548-51.
12. National Health Commission’s Briefing on the Pneumonia Epidemic Situation, in Chinese; 2020. Available from: http://www.nhc.gov.cn/ yjb/s7860/202001/9614b05a8cac4ffabac10c4502fe517c.shtml. [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 23].
13. Tanu S. A review of Coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19). Indian J Pediatr 2020;87:281-6.
14. Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus; 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/mers-cov/en. [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 16].
15. World Health Organization. Situation Reports; 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/ situation-reports. [Last accessed on 2020 Feb 22].
16. Lai CC, Shih TP, Ko WC, Tang HJ, Hsueh PR. Severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and Coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19): The epidemic and the challenges. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020;55:105924.
17. Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and important lessons from the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in China: Summary of a report of 72 314 cases from the Chinese centre for disease control and prevention. JAMA 2020;323:1239-42.
18. Ali I, Alharbi OM. COVID-19: Disease, management, treatment, and social impact. Sci Total Environ 2020;728:138861.
19. Million M, Lagiera JC, Gautreta P, Colson P, Fournier PE, Amranea S, et al. Early treatment of COVID-19 patients with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin: A retrospective analysis of 1061 cases in Marseille, France. Travel Med Infect Dis 2020;35:101738.
20. Gordon CJ, Tchesnokov EP, Feng JY, Porter DP, Gotte M. The antiviral compound remdesivir potently inhibits RNA-dependent RNA polymerase from Middle East respiratory syndrome Coronavirus. J Biol Chem 2020;295:4773-9.
21. Vijayvargiya P, Garrigos ZE, Almeida NE, Gurram PR, Stevens RW, Razonable RR. Treatment considerations for COVID-19: A critical review of the evidence (or lack thereof). Clin Proc 2020;95:1454-66.
22. Naserghandi A, Allameh SF, Saffarpour R. All about COVID-19 in brief. New Microbes New Infect 2020;35:100678.
23. Abebe CE, Dejenie TA, Shiferaw MY, Malik T. The newly emerged COVID-19 disease: A systemic review. Virol J 2020;17:96.
24. Gennaro FD, Pizzol DD. Coronavirus diseases (COVID-19) current status and future perspectives: A narrative review. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2020;17:2690.
25. Madabhavi I, Sarkar MM, Kadakol NN. COVID-19: A review. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 2020;90:248-58.
26. Zhao N, Zhou ZL. An update on the status of COVID-19: A comprehensive review. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2020;24:4597-606.
27. Unhale SS, Ansar QB, Sanap S. A review on Coronavirus (COVID-19). World J Pharm Life Sci 2020;6:109-15.
28. Varghese HS. Current review on COVID-19 pandemic: A global perspective. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2020;9:1159-66.
29. Hasnain J, Faisal S, Khan A, Khan S, Usman H, Liaqat R, et al. COVID-19: Review of epidemiology and potential treatments against 2019 novel Coronavirus. Discoveries 2020;8:1-13.
30. Xie P, Ma W, Tang H, Liu D. Severe COVID-19: A review of recent progress with a look toward the future. Front Public Health 2020;8:189.
31. Shirani K, Sheikhbahaei E, Torkpour ZZ, Ghadiri M. A narrative review of COVID-19: The new pandemic disease. Iran J Med Sci 2020;45:233-49.
32. Chatterjee P, Nagi N, Agarwal A, Das B, Banerjee S, Sarkar S, et al. The 2019 novel Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic: A review of the current evidence. Indian J Med Res 2020;151:147-59.
33. Ahn DG, Shin HJ, Kim MH, Lee S. Current status of epidemiology, diagnosis, therapeutics, and vaccines for novel Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). J Microbiol Biotechnol 2020;30:313-24.
34. Shi Y, Wang G, Cai XP, Deng JW, Zheng L, Zhu HH, et al. An overview of COVID-19. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2020;21:343-60.
35. Parveen F, Hussain M, Ansari N, Arshad Z, Haroon M, Ammar M, et al. A review on COVID-19, symptoms, epidemiology, pathogenesis, and future challenges. Sch Int J Biochem 2020;3:114-7.
36. Singhal T. A review of Coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19). Indian J Pediatr 2020;87:281-6.
37. Nicola M, Neillb NO, Sohrabib C, Khan M, Agha M, Agha R. Evidence-based management guideline for the COVID-19 pandemic-review article. Int J Surg 2020;77:206-16.
38. Valencia DN. Brief review on COVID-19: The 2020 pandemic caused by SARS-CoV-2. Cureus 2020;12:e7386.
39. Harapan H, Itoh N, Yufika A. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): A literature review. J Infect Public Health 2020;13:667-3.
40. Vaidya MM, Mahendru D, Semwal A, Kaur S, Kaur H, Sarma P, et al. COVID-19 pandemic: A review based on current evidence. Indian J Pharmacol 2020;52:117-29.
41. Pascarella G, Strumia A, Piliego C, Bruno F, Del Buono R, Costa F. COVID-19 diagnosis and management: A comprehensive review. J Intern Med 2020;288:192-206.
42. Wanga L, Wanga Y, Yec D, Liu Q. Review of the 2019 novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) based on current evidence. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020;55:105948.
43. Kumar D, Malviya R, Sharma PK. Corona virus: A review of COVID-19. Eurasian J Med Oncol 2020;1-25.
44. Hadi AG, Kadhom M, Hairunisa N, Yousif E, Mohammed SA. A review on COVID-19: Origin, spread, symptoms, treatment, and prevention. Biointerface Res Appl Chem 2020;10:7234-42.
45. Jean SS, Lee PI, Hsueh PR. Treatment options for COVID-19: The reality and challenges. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2020;53:436-43.
46. Jiang F, Deng L, Zhang L, Cai Y, Cheung CW, Xia Z. Review of the clinical characteristics of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). J Gen Intern Med 2019;35:1545-49.
47. Li H, Liu SM, Yub XH, Tanga SL, Tanga CK. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): Current status and future perspectives. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020;55:105951.
48. Moulishankar A, Ramasamy M, Ravichandran S, Gopalasatheeskumar K. Review on COVID-19. Asian J Res Pharm Sci Biotechnol 2020;8:72-83.
49. Shereen MA, Khan S, Kazmi A, Bashir N, Siddique R. COVID-19 infection: Origin, transmission, and characteristics of human Coronaviruses. J Adv Res 2020;24:91-8.
50. Sohrabi C, Alsafib Z, Neilla NN, Khan M, Kerwanc A, Jabir AA, et al. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Int J Surg 2020;76:71-6.
51. Sun P, Lu X, Xu C, Sun W, Pan B. Understanding of COVID?19 based on current evidence. J Med Virol 2020;92:548-51.
52. Tomar A, Gupta N. Prediction for the spread of COVID-19 in India and the effectiveness of preventive measures. Sci Total Environ 2020;728:138762.
53. Fadaka AO, Sibuyi NR. Understanding the epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of SARS-CoV-2. J Int Med Res 2020;48:1-23.
54. Hashemian SM, Farhadi T, Velayati AA. A review on remdesivir: A possible promising agent for the treatment of COVID-19. Drug Des Devel Ther 2020;14:3215-22.
55. Huang P, Liu T, Huang L, Liu H, Lei M, Xu W, et al. Use of chest CT in combination with negative RT-PCR assay for the 2019 novel Coronavirus but high clinical suspicion. Radiology 2020;295:22-3.
56. Chen ZM, Fu JF, Shu Q, Chen YH. Diagnosis and treatment recommendations for pediatric respiratory infection caused by the 2019 novel Coronavirus. World J Pediatr 2020;16:240-6.
57. Jin YH, Cai L, Cheng ZS, Cheng H, Deng T, Fang YP, et al. A rapid advice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of 2019 novel Coronavirus [2019-nCoV] infected pneumonia. Mil Med Res 2020;7:1-23.
58. Zhu N, Zang D, Wang W, Li X, Yang B. A novel Coronavirus from patients with pneumonia in China, 2019. N Engl J Med 2020;382:727- 33.
59. Tan W, Zhao X, Ma X, Wang W, Niu P, Xu W, et al. A novel Corona-virus genome identified in a cluster of pneumonia cases. Chin Centre Dis Control Prev 2020;2:61-2.
60. Russell CD, Millar JE, Baillie JK. Clinical evidence does not support corticosteroid treatment for 2019-nCoV lung injury. Lancet 2020;395:473-5.
61. Arabi YM, Mandourach Y, AI-Hameed F, Sindi AA, Almekhlafi GA, Hussein MA. Corticosteroid therapy for critically III patients with middle east respiratory syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2018;197:757-67.
62. Stockman LJ, Bellamy R, Garner P. SARS: Systematic review of treatment effects. PLoS Med 2006;3:1525-31.
63. Shang L, Zhao J, Hu Y, Du R, Cao B. On the use of corticosteroids for 2019-nCOV pneumonia. Lancet 2020;395:683-4.
64. Jackson LA, Anderson EJ, Rouphael NG, Roberts PC, Makhene M, et al. An mRNA vaccine against SARS-CoV-2-preliminary report. N Engl J Med 2020;383:1920-31.
65. Zhu FC, Li YH, Guan XH. Safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of a recombinant adenovirus Type-5 vectored COVID-19 vaccine: A dose-escalation, open-label, non-randomized, first-in-human trial. Lancet 2020;395:1845-54.
66. Corbett KS, Flynn B, Foulds KE, Francica JR, Werner AP. Evaluation of the mRNA-1273 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 in nonhuman primates. N Engl J Med 2020;383:1-12.
67. Amanat F, Krammer F. SARS-CoV-2 vaccines: A status report. Immunity 2020;52:583-9.
68. Rockx B, Kuiken T, Herfst S. Comparative pathogenesis of COVID-19, MERS and SARS in a nonhuman primate model. Science 2020;368:1012-5.
69. Graham BS. Rapid COVID-19 vaccine development. Science 2020;368:945-6.
70. Gao Q, Bao L, Mao H. Development of an inactivated vaccine candidate for SARS-CoV-2. Science 2020;369:77-81.
71. Smith TR, Patel A, Ramos S. Immunogenicity of a DNA vaccine candidate for COVID-19. Nat Commun 2020;11:2601.
72. Deming ME, Michael NL, Robb M, Cohen MS, Neuzil KM. Accelerating development of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines-the role for controlled human infection models. N Engl J Med 2020;383:e63.
73. Eyal N, Lipsitch M, Smith PG. Human challenge studies to accelerate Coronavirus vaccine licensure. J Infect Dis 2020;221:1752-6.
74. Mello MM, Silverman RD, Omer SB. Ensuring uptake of vaccines against SARS-CoV-2. N Engl J Med 2020;383:1296-9.
75. Trogen B, Oshinsky D, Caplan A. Adverse consequences of rushing a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine: Implications for public trust. JAMA 2020;323:2460-6.
76. Daniel BC, Osae SP, Henao-Martínez AF, Franco-Paredes C, Chastain JS, Young HN. Racial disproportionality in COVID clinical trials. N Engl J Med 2020;383:e59.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.