Biosynthesized AgNPs using Catharanthus roseus and their antibacterial efficacy in synergy with antibiotics; A future advancement in nanomedicine
This research work develops an approach to synthesize silver nanoparticles by reduction of leaf extract of Catharanthus roseus plant. This study produces synthesized nanoparticles that have process-controlled attributes which make their antibiotic action highly efficient. These attributes include smaller size, proper morphology, uniform dispersion, metal ion content, formation of functional groups etc. By optimizing the reduction process parameters, AgNPs gain the desired properties. The biosynthesis of AgNPs process was performed by using reaction of 10% (w/v) C. roseus leaf extract with AgNO3. The optimum conditions and concentration used for synthesis of nanoparticles were: 1 mM AgNO3, pH 5, temperature 80 0 C with an incubation time of 72 hrs. All the above parameters were analysed by UV-visible spectrophotometer with the surface plasmon resonance peak obtained at 440 nm. Various characterization techniques were performed viz. SEM, EDX, TEM, Photoluminescence study, XRD, FTIR, DLS and AFM. The results obtained from characterization confirmed the spherical morphology of the nanoparticles with size between 50-87 nm. In the current investigation, the antimicrobial activity of biosynthesized AgNPs was also determined using MIC and ZOI methods against six different bacteria at different doses of AgNPs (100, 150, and 200 µg/ml) alone and also in combination with antibiotic- Streptomycin. The results revealed that high concentration of AgNPs inhibits the bacterial growth. Also AgNPs revealed much stronger antibacterial action in synergy with Streptomycin against antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
2. Ibrahim HM (2015) Green synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using banana peel extract and their antimicrobial activity against representative microorganisms. J. of Radi. Res. and Appli. Sci. 8: 265-275.
3. Ahmed S, Saifullah, AM, Swami BL, Ikram S (2016) Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Azadirachta indica aqueous leaf extract. Journal of radiation research and applied sciences, 9: 1-7.
4. Xia ZK, Ma QH, Li SY, Zhang DQ, Cong L, Tian YL, Yang RY (2016) The antifungal effect of silver nanoparticles on Trichosporon asahiI. J. of Microbio., Immunol. and Infect. 49: 182-188.
5. Le Ouay B, Stellacci F (2015) Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles: a surface science insight. Nano today 10: 339-354.
6. Kumar B, Smita K, Cumbal L (2016) Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using lavender leaf and their applications for catalytic, sensing, and antioxidant activities. Nanotechnol. Revie. 5: 521-528.
7. El-Rafie HM, Hamed MA (2014) Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of silver nanoparticles biosynthesized from aqueous leaves extracts of four Terminalia species. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanosci. and Nanotechnol. 5: 035008.
8. Garg S, Chandra A, Mazumder A, Mazumder R (2014) Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Arnebia nobilis root extract and wound healing potential of its hydrogel. Asi. J. Pharma. 8.
9. Singh H, Du J, Singh P, Yi TH (2018) Ecofriendly synthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles by Euphrasia officinalis leaf extract and its biomedical applications. Arti. cells, nanomedi., and biotechnol. 46: 1163-1170.
10. Saha M, Bandyopadhyay PK (2019) Green biosynthesis of silver nanoparticle using garlic, allium sativum with reference to its antimicrobial activity against the pathogenic strain of Bacillus sp. and Pseudomonas sp. Infecting Goldfish, Carassius auratus. In Proceed. of the Zoolo. Soci. 72: 180-186.
11. Moodley JS, Krishna SBN, Pillay K, Govender P (2018) Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from Moringa oleifera leaf extracts and its antimicrobial potential. Adv. in Natu. Sci.: Nanosci. and Nanotechnol. 9: 015011.
12. Roopan SM, Madhumitha G, Rahuman AA, Kamaraj C, Bharathi A, Surendra TV (2013) Low-cost and eco-friendly phyto-synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Cocos nucifera coir extract and its larvicidal activity. Indust. Cro. and Produc. 43: 631-635.
13. Prasad TNVKV, Elumalai EK (2011) Biofabrication of Ag nanoparticles using Moringa oleifera leaf extract and their antimicrobial activity. Asi. Paci. J. of Trop. Biomedi. 1: 439.
14. Vanaja M, Gnanajobitha G, Paulkumar K, Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Annadurai G (2013) Phytosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by Cissus quadrangularis: influence of physicochemical factors. J. of Nanostr. in Chem 3: 17.
15. Bar H, Bhui DK, Sahoo GP, Sarkar P, De SP, Misra A (2009) Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using latex of Jatropha curcas. Coll. and surf. A: Physicochem. and engine. aspe. 339: 134-139.
16. Anandalakshmi K, Venugobal J (2017) Green synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Vitex negundo (Karu Nochchi) leaf extract and its antibacterial activity. Med. Chem 7: 218-225.
17. Valsalam S, Agastian P, Arasu MV, Al-Dhabi NA, Ghilan AKM, Kaviyarasu K, Arokiyaraj S (2019) Rapid biosynthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles from the leaf extract of Tropaeolum majus L. and its enhanced in-vitro antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant and anticancer properties. J. of Photochem. and Photobio. B: Bio. 191: 65-74.
18. Ajayi E, Afolayan A (2017) Green synthesis, characterization and biological activities of silver nanoparticles from alkalinized Cymbopogon citratus Stapf. Adv. in Natu. Sci.: Nanosci. and Nanotechnol 8: 015017.
19. Tippayawat P, Phromviyo N, Boueroy P, Chompoosor A (2016) Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles in aloe vera plant extract prepared by a hydrothermal method and their synergistic antibacterial activity. PeerJ., 4: e2589.
20. Hebeish A, El-Rafie MH, El-Sheikh MA, El-Naggar ME (2013) Nanostructural features of silver nanoparticles powder synthesized through concurrent formation of the nanosized particles of both starch and silver. J. of Nanotech. 2013.
21. Vigneshwaran N, Bijukumar G, Karmakar N, Anand S, Misra A (2005) Autofluorescence characterization of advanced glycation end products of hemoglobin. Spectro. Acta Part A: Mol. and Biomol. Spectro. 61: 163-170.
22. Logeswari P, Silambarasan S, Abraham J (2015) Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using plants extract and analysis of their antimicrobial property. J. of Saud. Chem. Soci., 19: 311-317.
23. Aruna A, Karthikeyan V, Bose P (2014) Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles of insulin plant (costus pictus d. don) leaves. Asi. J. of biomedi. and pharma. Sci. 4: 1.
24. Bhau BS, Ghosh S, Puri S, Borah B, Sarmah DK, Khan R (2015) Green synthesis of gold nanoparticles from the leaf extract of Nepenthes khasiana and antimicrobial assay. Adv. Mater Lett. 6: 55-58.
25. Shaik MR, Ali ZJQ, Khan M, Kuniyil M, Assal ME, Alkhathlan HZ, Adil SF (2017) Green synthesis and characterization of palladium nanoparticles using Origanum vulgare L. extract and their catalytic activity. Mole. 22: 165.
26. Kumar B, Smita K, Cumbal L, Debut A (2016) Ficus carica (Fig) fruit mediated green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its antioxidant activity: a comparison of thermal and ultrasonication approach. BioNanoSci. 6: 15-21.
27. Valli JS, Vaseeharan B, (2012) Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by Cissus quadrangularis extracts. Mat. Lett. 82: 171-173.
28. Sondi I, Salopek-Sondi B (2004) Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria. J. of coll. and interface sci. 275: 177-182.
29. Anandalakshmi K, Venugobal J, Ramasamy V (2016) Characterization of silver nanoparticles by green synthesis method using Pedalium murex leaf extract and their antibacterial activity. Appli. Nanosci. 6: 399-408.
30. Gupta M, Tomar RS, Mishra RK (2020) Factors affecting biosynthesis of green nanoparticles. Our Heritage.
31. Gupta M, Tomar RS, Kaushik S, Sharma D, Mishra RK (2018) Effective antimicrobial activity of green ZnO nano particles of Catharanthus roseus. Frontiers in Microbiology.
32. Chen Y, Ding H, Sun S (2017) Preparation and characterization of ZnO nanoparticles supported on amorphous SiO2. Nanomaterials, 7: 217.
33. Rashid MI, Mujawar LH, Rehan ZA, Qari H, Zeb J, Almeelbi T, Ismail, IM (2016) One-step synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Phoenix dactylifera leaves extract and their enhanced bactericidal activity. J. of Mol. Liquids, 223: 1114-1122.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.