OPTIMIZATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF FORMULATION SELF-NANOEMULSIFYING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM ETHANOL EXTRACT OF ROMANG PARANG LEAVES (BOEHMERIA VIRGATA)
Objective: Parang romang (Boehmeria virgata) is one of the traditional medicines that are used empirically by Makassar tribal healers, South Sulawesi, as an antitumor drug. This traditional medicine contains secondary metabolites such as alkaloids, flavonoids, tannins, and saponins. However, secondary metabolites of those leaves extract have low solubility in water. Hence, to be formula, self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) is one of the solutions to increase the extract solubility.
Methods: The optimization of two formula optimum SNEDDS parang romang leaves (T80PGMZ and T20PGMZ) was using the simple lattice design (SLD) method which will give 28 SNEDDS formula parang romang leaves each of which the formula is tested for its characteristics as a critical point include emulsification time, % transmittance, drug loading, particle size, zeta potential, polydispersity index, and morphology particle.
Results: The results of SNEDDS characterization obtained the optimum formula T80PGMZ with emulsification time 12.6 s, % transmittance 92.21%, drug loading 68.21 ppm, particle size 370.26 nm, zeta potential −31.4 mV, polydispersity index of 0.615, and regular particle morphology with spherical chunks at a magnification of 10,000 times with a particle size of 10 μm.
Conclusion: SNEDDS of parang romang leaves extracts that used olive oil as oil phase, Tween 80 as a surfactant, and propylene glycol as the cosurfactant provided nanoemulsion with good characteristics.
2. Krishnaiah YS. Pharmaceutical technologies for enhancing oral bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. J Bioequivalence Bioavailab 2013;2:29-36.
3. Dash RN, Mohammed H, Humaira T, Ramesh D. Design, optimization and evaluation of glipizide solid self-nano emulsifying drug delivery for enhanced solubility and dissolution. Saudi Pharm J 2015;23:528-40.
4. Fahmy UA, Ahmed OA, Hosny KM. Development and evaluation of avanafil self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system with rapid onset of action and enhanced bioavailability. AAPS PharmSciTech 2015;16: 53-8.
5. Kamble RN, Mehta PP, Kumar A. Efavirenz self-nano-emulsifying drug delivery system: In vitro and in vivo evaluation. AAPS PharmSciTech 2016;17:1240-7.
6. Manggau M, Andriani F, Nurdin WB, Yulianti R, Sutriadi S. In vitro study of the alkaloid anticancer compound from Makassar medicinal plants Boehmeria virgata Linn. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2018;13:77-81.
7. Ujilestari T, Martien R, Ariyadi B. Self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) of Amomum compactum essential oil: Design, formulation, and characterization. J Appl Pharm Sci 2018;8:14-21.
8. Suryani, Zubaydah W, Sahumena M, Adawia S, Wahyuni R. Preparation and characterization of self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) from Moringa oleifera L. and Cassia alata L. leave extracts. AIP Conf Proc 2019;2199:070011.
9. Balata G, Eassa E, Shamrool H, Zidan S, Abdo Rehab M. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems as a tool to improve solubility and bioavailability of resveratrol. Drug Des Dev Ther 2016;10:117-28.
10. Amin N, Das B. A review on formulation and characterization of nanoemulsion. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;4:1-5.
11. Izham M, Nadilah M, Hussin Y, Aziz MN, Yeap SK, Rahman HS, et al. Preparation and characterization of self nano-emulsifying drug delivery system loaded with citraland its antiproliferative effect on colorectal cells in vitro. Nanomaterials 2019;9:1-18.
12. Miryala V, Kurakula M. Self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) for oral delivery of atorvastatin formulation and bioavailability studies. J Drug Deliv Ther 2015;3:131-42.
13. Wiwiek IA, Martodihardjo S, Soenardi, Jumina, Budiana I, Mustofa GM. Preparation and in-vitro characterization of the self-nano emulsifying system of C-Phenylcalix--resorcynaryl octacinnamate and C-methylcalix--resorcinaryl octabenzoate as ultraviolet absorbers. Bali Med J 2017;6:569-77.
14. Syukri Y, Fitriani H, Pandapotan H, Nugroho BH. Formulation,characterization, and stability of ibuprofen-loaded self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS). Indones J Pharm 2019;30:105-13.
15. Huda N, Wahyuningsih I. Karakterisasi self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) Minyak Buah Merah (Pandanus conoideus Lam.). J Farm Ilmu Kefarm Indones 2018;3:49-57.
16. Baloch J, Sohail MF, Sarwar HS, Kiani MH, Khan GM, Jahan S, et al. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) for improved oral bioavailability of chlorpromazine: In vitro and in vivo evaluation. Medicine (Mex.) 2019;55:1-13.
17. Cherniakov I, Domb AJ, Hoffman A. Self-nano-emulsifying drug delivery systems: An update of the biopharmaceutical aspects. Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2015;12:1121-33.
18. Teng F, He M, Xu J, Che F. Effect of ultrasonication on the stability and storage of a soy protein isolate-phosphatidylcholine nanoemulsions. Nat Res 2020;10:1-9.
19. Kazi M, Shahba AA, Alrashoud S, Alwadei M, Sherif AY, Alanazi FK. Bioactive self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (Bio-SNEDDS) for combined oral delivery of curcumin and piperine. Molecules 2020;25:1-24.
20. Cesar DA, Maria AG, Arantes OE, Alves DR. Production and characterization of cosmetic nanoemulsions containing Opuntia ficus-indica (L.) Mill extract as moisturizing agent. Molecules 2018;20:2492-509.
21. Gurpreet K, Singh SK. Review of nanoemulsion formulation and characterization techniques. Indian J Pharm Sci 2018;80:781-9.
22. Sawant P, Kareekar P, Waghmare K. Formulation and characterization of solid lipid nanoparticles containing ginger oil for enhancement of stability. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2020;12:36-44.
23. Drais HK, Hussein AA. Formulation and characterization of carvedilol nanoemulsion oral liquid dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:209-16.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.