ANTIPROLIFERATIVE AND ANTIOXIDANT EFFECTS OF ERUCA SATIVA (JARJEER) LEAVES EXTRACT ON CARCINOMA OF WOMEN’S BREAST
Objective: This work aims to investigate the influence of Eruca sativa leaves extract on the cell viability of the breast carcinoma cell line (MCF-7).
Methods: In vitro, breast cancer cell line (MCF-7) treated by E. sativa leaves extract for 48 h. The cell viability, proliferation, and apoptosis were assessed using colorimetric (3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide assay, flow cytometric technique, and antioxidant enzymes (superoxide dismutase [SOD] and catalase [CAT]) measurement.
Results: This study demonstrated that the incubation of MGF-7 cells with E. sativa for 48 h caused a significative reduction in cell viability and proliferation of MGF-7 cell line. In parallel, E. sativa treatment induces a significant increase in apoptosis of MGF-7 cells compared to control. Moreover, flow cytometry analysis demonstrated that the inhibition of MGF-7 cell proliferation existed at the G2 and M phase in the cell-division cycle. Finally, the intracellular antioxidant enzymes SOD and CAT activities were significantly increased in the administered cells compared with unadministered MCF-7 cells.
Conclusions: Taken together, E. sativa treatment reduces cell viability and proliferation concomitant with enhanced antioxidant enzymes expression and apoptosis of breast cancer cell line MGF-7. This may help in protection from breast cancer or preclinical recommendation.
2. George VC, Kumar DR, Kumar ND, Rajkumar V, Suresh P, Kumar RA. Quantitative assessment of the relative antineoplastic potential of the n-butanol leaf extract of Annona muricata Linn. In normal and immortalized human cell lines. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2012;13:699-704.
3. Barlas NT, Irget ME, Tepecik M. Mineral content of the rocket plant (Eruca sativa). Afr J Biotechnol 2011;10:14080-2.
4. El-Wakeel MA, El-Desoki ER, Ahmed SE. Bioherbicidal activity of Eruca sativa fresh shoot aqueous extract for the management of two annual weeds associating Pisum sativum plants. Bull Natl Res Centre 2019;43:87.
5. El-Fadaly H, El-Kadi S, El-Moghazy M, Soliman A, El-Haysha M. Antioxidant activity studies on extracts of Eruca sativa Seed meal and oil, detoxification, the role of antioxidants in the resistant microbes. Hum J 2017;6:31-51.
6. Radziejewska-Kubzdela E, Olejnik A, Biega?ska-Marecik R. Effect of pretreatment on bioactive compounds in wild rocket juice. J Food Sci Technol 2019;56:5234-42.
7. Alqasoumi S. Carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity: Protective effect of Rocket Eruca sativa L. in rats. Am J Chin Med 2010;38:75-88.
8. Oka M, Maeda S, Koga N, Kato K, Saito T. A modified colorimetric MTT assay adapted for primary cultured hepatocytes: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 1992;56:1472-3.
9. Fabisiak JP, Borisenko GG, Kagan VE. The quantitative method of measuring phosphatidylserine externalization during apoptosis using electron paramagnetic resonance (epr) spectroscopy and annexin-conjugated iron. Methods Mol Biol 2014;1105:613-21.
10. Nishikimi M, Roa NA, Yogi K. The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine methosulfate and molecular oxygen. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1972;46:849-54.
11. Aebi H. Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol 1984;105:121-6.
12. Michael HN, Shafik RE, Rasmy GE. Studies on the chemical constituents of the fresh leaf of Eruca sativa extract and its biological activity as an anticancer agent in vitro. J Med Plants Res 2011;5:1184-91.
13. Azarenko O, Jordan MA, Wilson L. Erucin, the major isothiocyanate in arugula (Eruca sativa), inhibits proliferation of MCF7 tumor cells by suppressing microtubule dynamics. PLoS One 2014;9:1-12.
14. Pawlik A, Skan Wojewódzka MS, Herman-Antosiewicz A. Sensitization of estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cell lines to 4-hydroxytamoxifen by isothiocyanates present in cruciferous plants. Eur J Nutr 2016;55:1165-80.
15. Ang E, Pavlos N, Chim S, Feng HT, Scaife RM, Steer JH, et al. Paclitaxel inhibits osteoclast formation and bone resorption via influencing mitotic cell cycle arrest and RANKL-induced activation of NF-kappaB and ERK. J Cell Biochem 2012;113:946-55.
16. Alam MS, Kaur G, Jabbar Z, Javed K, Athar M. Eruca sativa seeds possess antioxidant activity and exert a protective effect on mercuric chloride-induced renal toxicity. Food Chem Toxicol 2007;45:910-20.
17. Hussein J, Salah A, Oraby F, Nour El-Deen A, El-Khayat Z. Antihepatotoxic effect of Eruca sativa extracts on alcohol-induced liver injury in rats. J Am Sci 2010;6:381-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.