ASSESSMENT OF HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE AND RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH PANCREATITIS IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL
Objective: The objective of the study was to measure the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in pancreatitis and to appraise the risk factors associated with the pancreatitis.
Methods: A prospective observational study was performed with admitted cases of pancreatitis over 6 month’s period. A total of 150 patients were selected for the study. All data concerning risk factors were recorded and Short-Form-36 (SF-36) questionnaire was applied and quality of life (QOL) was analyzed in all patients with in study group.
Results: All domains of (HRQoL) were assessed; it shows highest effect on role limitations due to physical health (36%), role limitations due to emotional problems (29%), role limitations due to physical health, and role limitations due to emotional problems (10%). Finally, our study revealed that there is a profound deterioration in physical components of QOL. The risk factors that majorly influence the QOL in association with disease were found to be alcohol consumption and smoking (70%).
Conclusion: Pancreatitis remarkably diminishes the patient’s HRQoL which predominantly shows negative impact on physical health.
2. World Health Organization. Division of Mental Health and Prevention of Substance Abuse. WHOQOL: Measuring Quality of Life. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1997.
3. Megari K. Quality of life in chronic disease patients. Health Psychol Res 2013;1:e27.
4. Guyatt GH, Feeny DH, Patrick DL. Measuring health-related quality of life. Ann Intern Med 1993;118:622-9.
5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Measuring Healthy Days. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2000.
6. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Health Related Quality of Patients Concepts. Available from https://www.cdc.gov/hrqol/concept. htm. [Accessed accessed on 2019 Nov 11].
7. Wehler M, Nichterlein R, Fischer B, Farnbacher M, Reulbach U, Hahn EG, et al. Factors associated with health-related quality of life in chronic pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2004;99:138-46.
8. Hays RD, Sherbourne CD, Mazel RM. The RAND 36-item health survey 1.0. Health Econ 1993;2:217-27.
9. Chatila AT, Bilal M, Guturu P. Evaluation and management of acute pancreatitis. World J Clin Cases 2019;7:1006-20.
10. Mohan H. Textbook of Pathology. 6th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2010. p. 624-8.
11. Jha P, Chandran R, Jaiswal P, Seema K. A clinical study of risk factors of acute pancreatitis in a tertiary care centre in North India. Int Surg J 2017;4:1878-83.
12. Jin Z, Xu L, Wang X, Yang D. Risk factors for worsening of acute pancreatitis in patients admitted with mild acute pancreatitis. Med Sci Monit 2017;23:1026-32.
13. Pang Y, Kartsonaki C, Turnbull I, Guo Y, Yang L, Bian Z, et al. Metabolic and lifestyle risk factors for acute pancreatitis in Chinese adults: A prospective cohort study of 0.5 million people. PLoS Med 2018;15:e1002618.
14. Quero G, Covino M, Fiorillo C, Rosa F, Menghi R, Simeoni B, et al. Acute pancreatitis in elderly patients: A single-center retrospective evaluation of clinical outcomes. Scand J Gastroenterol 2019;54:492-8.
15. Broome AH, Eisen GM, Harland RC, Collins BH, Meyers WC, Pappas TN. Quality of life after treatment for pancreatitis. Ann Surg 1996;223:665-72.
16. Lankisch PG, Breuer N, Bruns A, Weber-Dany B, Lowenfels AB, Maisonneuve P. Natural history of acute pancreatitis: A long-term population-based study. Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104:2797-805.
17. Gopal SV, Solomon A, Konidala J. A case control study of possible additional risk factors for chronic alcoholic pancreatitis. Int J Res Med Sci 2016;4:4376-9.
18. Shah AP, Mourad MM, Bramhall SR. Acute pancreatitis: Current perspectives on diagnosis and management. J Inflamm Res 2018;11:77-85.
19. Garret C, Péron M, Reignier J, Le Thuaut A, Lascarrou JB, Douane F, et al. Risk factors and outcomes of infected pancreatic necrosis: Retrospective cohort of 148 patients admitted to the ICU for acute pancreatitis. United Eur Gastroenterol J 2018;6:910-8.
20. Vengadakrishnan K, Koushik AK. A study of the clinical profile of acute pancreatitis and its correlation with severity indices. Int J Health Sci (Qassim) 2015;9:410-7.
21. Fitzsimmons D, Kahl S, Butturini G, van Wyk M, Bornman P, Bassi C, et al. Symptoms and quality of life in chronic pancreatitis assessed by structured interview and the EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-PAN26. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:918-26.
22. Mole DJ, Gungabissoon U, Johnston P, Cochrane L, Hopkins L, Wyper GM. Identifying risk factors for progression to critical care admission and death among individuals with acute pancreatitis: A record linkage analysis of Scottish healthcare databases. BMJ Open 2016;6:e011474.
23. Sohn TA, Campbell KA, Pitt HA, Sauter PK, Coleman J, Lillemo KD, et al. Quality of life and long-term survival after surgery for chronic pancreatitis. J Gastroenterol Surg 2000;4:355-64.
24. Wehler M, Reulbach U, Nichterlein R, Lange K, Fischer B, Farnbacher M, et al. Health-related quality of life in chronic pancreatitis: A psychometric assessment. Scand J Gastroenterol 2003;38:1083-9.
25. Hochman D, Louie B, Bailey R. Determination of patient quality of life following severe acute pancreatitis. Can J Surg 2006;49:101-6.
26. Raffaele P. Pancreatic diseases: The need to assess the quality of life. Pancreat Disord Ther 2012;2:107.
27. Soran A, Chelluri L, Lee KK, Tisherman SA. Outcome and quality of life of patients with acute pancreatitis requiring intensive care. J Surg Res 2000;91:89-94.
28. Amann ST, Yadav D, Barmada MM, O’Connell M, Kennard ED, Anderson M, et al. Physical and mental quality of life in chronic pancreatitis: A case-control study from the North American Pancreatitis Study 2 cohort. Pancreas 2013;42:293-300.
29. Pinkowski D, Malecka-Panas E, Johnson C.D, Mokrowiecka A. Clinical, emotional and social factors associated with quality of life in chronic pancreatitis. Pancreatology 2010;10:39-46.
30. Mokrowiecka A, Pinkowski D, Malecka-Panas E. Assessment of quality of life in patients with chronic pancreatitis. Med Sci Monit 2011;17:CR583-8.
31. Beninca SC, Melhem AF, Martins RD, Libera Júnior ED. Alcoholic chronic pancreatitis: A quality of life study. Rev Nutr 2016;29:23-31.
32. Pezzilli R, Morselli Labate AM, Ceciliato R, Frulloni L, Cavestro GM, Comparato G, et al. Quality of life in patients with chronic pancreatitis. Dig Liver Dis 2005;37:181-9.
33. Müller-Nordhorn J, Roll S, Böhmig M, Nocon M, Reich A, Braun C, et al. Health-related quality of life in patients with pancreatic cancer. Digestion 2006;74:118-25.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.