SCREENING OF INVITRO ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ACTIVITY OF MICHELIA CHAMPACA LINN. FLOWERS
Objectives: Michelia champaca is an ayurvedic medicine which is used as anti-inflammatory agent. Therefore Â our investigation was aimed to evaluate anti- inflammatory property of the flower extract of M.champaca by membrane stabilization method.
Methods: The prevention of hypotonicity induced human red blood cells(HRBC) membrane lysis was taken as a measure of the anti-inflammatory activity. The potency of the plant extract was compared with standard diclofenac sodium.
Results: Michelia champaca showed significant stabilizing activity of 57.4percent at concentration of 300 Âµg/ml. The percentage membrane stability exhibited by the extract was concentration dependent.
Conclusion: It can conclude that the methanolic extract of M.champaca posses significant invitro anti-inflammatory activity.
Key words: Michelia champaca, hypotonic, membrane stabilization,diclofenac sodiumÂ
2. Nadkarni KM. Indian Material Medica . 3rd edn.1954; . Popular book dept, Bombay
3. Catherine A, Rice E, Nicholas JM, George P. Antioxidant properties of Phenolic compounds. Trends Plant Sci, 1997; 2(4): 152-158.
4. Bhurat MR, Sapakale HS. Preliminary chemical evaluation and invitro anti inflammatory activity of leaves of Remusatia vivipara. Asian journal of Biochem Pharm Research, 2011; 2(11): 303-306.
5. Sadique J, Al-Rqobahs WA, Bughaith MF, El-Gindi AR. The bioactivity of certain medicinal plants on the stabilization of RBC membrane system. Fitoterpia, 1989; 60: 525-32.
6. Chou CT 1997. The anti-inflammatory effect of Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F on adjuvant induced paw edema in rats and inflammatory mediators release. Phytother Res, 1997; 11: 152-154
7. Murugasan N, Vember S and Damodharan C. Studies on erythrocyte membrane IV. In vitro haemolytic activity of Oleander extract. Toxicol Lett, 1981; 8: 33-38.
8. Hess SM and Milloning RC . In â€œInflammation, Mechanism and Controlâ€, Lepow, L.H and Wards, P.A., Eds, Academic Press, New- York, 1972; 1- 72.
9. Van-Cangeghen P. Influence of some hydro solube substances with Vitamin P activity on the fragility of lysosomes in vitro. Biochem. Toxicol., 1972; 11:1543-1548.
10. Sanjeev ranjan, Rajesh Matcha and Gopi krishna Saride. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 2013; 6: 146-149.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.