COMPATIBILITY OF BEAUVERIA BASSIANA (BALS.) VUILL ISOLATES WITH SELECTED INSECTICIDES AND FUNGICIDES AT AGRICULTURE SPRAY TANK DOSE
The effects of six commonly used chemical pesticides in which three are insecticides namely quinolphos, monocrotophos, cypermethrin and three fungicides carbendazim, cooper oxychloride and mancozeb on germination, mycelial growth of thirty isolates of Beauveria bassiana was studied. Except mancozeb all the insecticides and fungicides doesnâ€™t show a significant inhibition effect on the germination of conidia. There was significant inhibition of mycelia growth in few isolates with insecticides as well as fungicides except copper oxychloride. Copper oxychloride promoted the mycelia growth in many isolates where as mancozeb inhibited the mycelia growth of all the isolates tested in the present study. This work suggests that the most appropriate insecticide and fungicides for use in Integrated Pest Management Programs in combination with Beauveria bassiana isolates. It is important to test the compatibility of isolates of entomopathogenic fungi with the pesticides commonly used in IPM programmes.Â
2. Alessandroa CPD, Padinb S, Urrutiac MI. and Lopez Lastraa C. C. (2011).Interaction of Fungicides with the Entomopathogenic fungus Isaria fumosorosea. Bio Sci Tech, 21: 189-197.
3. Ramzan asi M, Hamid Bashiri M, Afjal M. and Talib Sahi S. (2010). Compatability of Entomopathogenic fungi Metarhizium anisopliae and Paecilomyces fumosoroseus with Selective Insecticides, Pak J Bot, 42 (6): 4207-4214.
4. Alizadeh A, Amin Samih M, Khezri M. and Saberi Riseh R. (2007). Compatability of Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill, with Several Pesticides, Int J Agri Biol, 1560-8530.
5. Sosa-GoÂ´mez DR, Delpin KE, Moscardi F. and Nozaki M de H. (2003). The Impact of Fungicides on Nomuraea rileyi (Farlow) Samson Epizootics and on Populations of Anticarsia gemmatalis HuÂ¨bner (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), on Soybean. Neotrop. Entomol, 32: 287-291.
6. Inglis GD, Goettel MS, Butt TM. and Strasser H. Use of Hyphomycetous Fungi for Managing Insect Pests. In: Butt TM, Jackson C, and Magan N, editors. Fungi as Biocontrol Agents, CAB International; 2001. p. 23-69.
7. Fransen JJ. (1995). Survival of spores of the entomopathogenic fungus Aschersonia aleyrodis (Deuteromycotina: Coelomecetes) on leaf surfaces. J Invert Pathol. 65: 73-75.
8. Storey GK. and Gardner WA. (1986). Sensitivity of the entomogenous fungus Beauveria bassiana to selected plant growth regulators and spray additives. Appl Environ Microbiol, 52:1-3.
9. StatSoft, Inc. 1995, â€˜STATISTICA for windows (Computer program manual). Tulsaâ€™, OK: StatSoft, Inc., 2325 East 13th street, Tulsa, OK, 74104.
10. Newman D. (1939). The distribution of range in samples from a normal population expressed in terms of an independent estimate of standard deviation, Biometrika, 31: 20-30.
11. Uma Devi K, Nageswara Rao Reddy N, Sridevi D, Sridevi V. and Murali Mohan C. (2004). Esterase-mediated tolerance to a formulation of the organophosphate insecticide monocrotophos in the entomopathogenic fungus, Beauveria bassiana (Balsamo) Vuill: a promising biopesticide. Pest Manag Sci, 60: 408 - 412.
12. Ambethgar V, Swamiappan M, Rabindran R. and Rabindra RJ. (2008). Joint action of Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill. With Certain Synthetic Insecticides and Neem Formulations used for the Management of Rice Leaffolder, Cnaphalocrocis medinalis Guenee. Resistant Pest Management Newsletter, Springer, 17: 16-18.
13. Barci L A, Wenzel I M, de Almeida JE, de Campos Nogueira A H. and do Prado AP. (2009). Compatibility of Beauveria bassiana (Ascomycetes: Clavicipitaceae) with chemicals acaricides used in the control of cattle tick, Revista Brasileria de Parasito veterinaria.1: 63-8.
14. Cazorla D. and Morales Moreno P. (2010). Compatibility of 13 Beauveria bassiana isolates pathogenic to Rhodnius prolixus (Triatominae) with insecticides, Bol Mal Salud Amb, 50 (2): 261-270.
15. Farenhorst M, Knols B G J, Thomas M B, Howard A F V, Takken W, Rowland M, and Nâ€™Guessan R. (2010). Synergy in Efficacy of Fungal Entomopathogens and Permethrin against West African Insecticide-Resistant Anopheles gambiae Mosquitoes, PLoS ONE,5(8): e12081.
16. Kiran kumar K P, Sinha AK, Singh GP. and Madhusudhan K N. (2011). Efficacy of Systemic Fungicides for Control of White Muscardine in Tasar Silkworm, Antheraea mylitta D, Res J Microbiol, 6(11): 805-812.
17. Goettel MS, Inglis GD. and Wraight SP. Fungi. In: Lacey LA and Kaya HK, editors. Field Manual in Invertebrate Pathology, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, Kluwer Academic Press, 2000. p. 255-282
18. Butters JA, Devi KU, Mohan CM. and Sridevi V. (2003). Screening for tolerance to bavistin, a benzimidazole fungicide containing methyl benzimidazol-2-yl carbamate (MBC), in Beauveria bassiana: sequence analysis of the beta-tubulin gene to identify mutations conferring tolerance, Mycol Res, 107: 260 - 266.
19. Martins F, Soares ME, Oliveria I, Pererira JA, Bastos ML. and Baptista P. (2012). Tolerance and Bioaccumulation of Copper by the Entomopathogen Beauveria bassiana (Bals.-Criv.) Vuill. Exposed to Various Copper-Based Fungicides, Bull Environ Contam Toxicol, 89: 53â€“60.
20. Akello, J.; Dubious, T.; Coyne, D.; Gold, C.S. and Kyamanywa, S. (2007). Colonization and persistence of the entomopathogenic fungus, Beauveria bassiana, in tissue culture of banana. African Crop Science Conference Proceedings, 8: 857-861.