OXIDATIVE STRESS INDICATORS IN WEST AFRICAN DWARF DOES DURING GESTATION
Keywords:West African Dwarf doe, Gravid, Pro-oxidant, Total antioxidant capacity, Trimester
The study was carried out to monitor the effect of gestation on serum biochemistry and oxidative stress markers in West African Dwarf (WAD) Does. Thirty-five gravid does aged 12-24 months with an average weight of 16.15±1.51 was used for the study. Fastened blood samples were collected from the does at day 45, day 90 and day 140 of gestation and was assayed for serum biochemical, lipid peroxidation, total antioxidant capacity, catalase, superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase using standard procedures. Data were subjected to analysis of variance at α0.05. Results showed that glucose in does at second trimester was significantly higher than glucose level at first and third trimester. Total protein, triglyceride, cholesterol and High density lipoprotein were significantly higher in does at second and third trimester than in does at first trimester. Oxidative stress markers showed that total antioxidant capacity was higher in does at second trimester than in does at first and third trimester. Antioxidant enzymes activities of does at first trimester were higher and declines towards third trimester. Lipid peroxidation was significantly highest in does at third trimester and least in does at first trimester. It can be deduced that serum antioxidant activity of does in third trimester was low and led to high lipid peroxidation. This suggests that WAD does are prone to oxidative stress at third trimester.
2. Andres, S., Mañe, M.C., Sanchez, J., Barrera, R. and Jimenez, A. (1999). Temporal variations in blood glutathione peroxidase (GSHPx) activity?in? sheep?at?pasture?in?a?Mediterranean?area.?Vet.?J.?157,?186–188.
3. Ataki?i, E., Ataki?i, O., Merhan, O., O?un, M., Ozcan, A. and Mara?li, S. (2009). Koyunlarda gebelik oncesi, gebelik ve do?um sonras? ?-hidroksibutirik asit, glukoz ve trigliserid duzeylerinin ara?t?r?lmas?. Erciyes Univ Vet Fak Derg 6: 37–41 (in Turkish).
4. Ayala, A., Munoz, M.F. and Argiielles, S. (2014). Lipid peroxidation: Production, metabolism and signaling mechanisms of malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal. Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. 1–31.
5. Balikci, E., Yildiz, A. and Gurdogan, F. (2007). Blood metabolite concentrations during pregnancy and postpartum in Akkaraman ewes. Small Rumin Res 67: 247–251.
6. Beers, R. F. and Sizer, I. W. (1952). A spectrophotometric method for measuring the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by catalase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 195.133-40.
7. Bernabucci, U., Ronchi, B., Lacetera, N. and Nardone, A. (2002). Markers of oxidative status in plasma and erythrocytes of transition dairy cows?during?hot?season.?J.?Dairy?Sci.?85,?2173–2179.
8. Bhale, D.V., Hivre, M.D., Mahat, R.K. and Bujurge, A.A. (2014). Comparative study of serum malondialdehyde levels as a marker of oxidative stress in patients of pregnancy-induced hypertension and controls. MGM. J. Med. Sci. 1:53–55.
9. Bhuyar, B.K and Shamsuddin, M. (2014). Study of serum malondialdehyde and ascorbic acid levels in pre-eclampsia. Int. J. Biol. Med. Res. 5:4163–4168.
10. Biri, A., Bozkurt, N. and Turp, A. (2007). Role of oxidative stress in intrauterine growth restriction. Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation v.64, p.187.
11. Bouwstra, R.J., Goselink, R.M., Dobbelaar, P., Nielen, M., Newbold,?J.R. and?Van?Werven,?T. (2008).?The?relationship?between? oxidative?damage and vitamin E concentration in blood, milk, and liver tissue from vitamin E supplemented and nonsupplemented periparturient?heifers.?J.?Dairy?Sci.??91,?977–987.
12. Castillo, C., Hernandez, J. and Bravo, A. (2005). Oxidative status during late pregnancy and early lactation in dairy cows. The Veterinary Journal v.169, p.286-292
13. Castillo,? C.,? Hernández,? J.,? Valverde,? I.,? Pereira,? V.,? Sotillo,? J.,?Alonso, M.L. And Benedito, J.L. (2006). Plasma malonaldehyde (MDA) and total antioxidant status (TAS) during lactation in dairy cows. Res. Vet.?Sci.?80,?133–139.
14. Celi, P., Di Trana, A. And Quaranta, A. (2008). Metabolic pro?le and oxidative status in goats during the peripartum period. Aust J Exp Agric. 48, 1004–1008
15. Celi, P., Di Trana, A., Claps, S. E . (2010). Effects of plane of nutrition on oxidative?stress?in?goats?during?the?peripartum?period.?Vet.?J.?184, 95–99.
16. Cole, D.J.A. (1990). Nutritional strategies to optimize reproduction in pigs. Journal of Reproduction Fertility v.40, p.67-82
17. Drackley, J.K. (1999). ADSA Foundation Scholar Award. Biology of dairy cows during the transition period: the ?nal frontier? J. Dairy Sci.?82,?2259–2273.
18. Dröge, W. (2002). Free radicals in the physiological control of cell function. Physiol.?Rev.?82,?47–95.
19. Erisir, M., Benzer, F., Kandemir, F.M. (2009). Changes in the rate of lipid peroxidation in plasma and selected blood antioxidants before and during pregnancy in ewes. Acta Vet. Brno. 78:237–242.
20. Firat, A. and Ozpinar, A. (1996). The study of changes in some blood parameters (glucose, urea, bilirubin, AST) during and after pregnancy in association with nutritional conditions and littersize in ewes. Tr. J of Veterinary and Animal Sciences 20: 387–393.
21. Firat, A. and Ozpinar, A. (2002). Metabolic profile of pre-pregnancy, pregnancy and early lactation in multiple lambing Sak?z ewes. Changes in plasma glucose, 3-hydroxybutyrate and cortisol levels. Ann Nutr Metab; 46: 57–61.
22. Flohe, L., Günzler, W.A. and Schock, H.H. (1973).Glutathione peroxidase: a selenoenzyme.?FEBS?Lett.,?32,?132–134.
23. Frei, B. (1994). Natural Antioxidants in Human Health and Disease. San Diego, CA: Academic Press; 1994.
24. Gaál, T., Ribiczeyné-Szabó, P., Stadler, K., Jakus, J., Reiczigel, J., Kövér, P., Mézes, M. And Sümeghy, L. (2006). Free radicals, lipid peroxidation and the antioxidant system in the blood of cows and newborn calves around calving. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B, Biochem. Mol. Biol. 143,?391–396.
25. Gibbs, C. P. (1981). Maternal physiology. Clin Obstet Gynecol 24: 525.
26. Groth, W., Kalchreuter, S. and Hahn, R. (1986). Dieeinlusse der Rasse, des Alters, des jahreszelt und der Umstallung in die Besamungsstion auf Enzymaktivitaten, Minerlstoff- und Harnstoffkonzentrationen im Bludplasma von Besamungschen. Teil 1. Tierarztliche Umschau 41, 652 – 658.
27. Halliwell, B. and Chirico, S. (1993). Lipid peroxidation: its mechanism, measurement,?and?significance.?Am.?J.?Clin.?Nutr.?57,? 715S–724S;?discussion?724S.
28. Hamadeh, M.E., Bostedt, H. A. and Failing, K. (1996). Concentration of metabolic parameters in the blood of heavily pregnant and non pregnant ewes. Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 109: 81–86.
29. Igado, O.O., Ajala, O.O. and Oyeyemi, M.O. (2011). Investigation into the Hematological and Liver Enzyme Changes at Different Stages of Gestation in the West African Dwarf Goat (Capra hircus L.) International Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 3(5): 277-281
30. Jimoh, O.A., and Ewuola E.O. (2018) semen characteristics, seminal biochemical and oxidative stress markers in rabbits during heat stress. Journal of Veterinary Andrology 3(2):35-44
31. Jimoh, O.A., Ihejirika, U.G., Balogun, A.S. and Uwaeziozi U.C. (2018) Antioxidative effect of mistletoe leaf meal supplemented diets in laying pullets. Arch. Zootec. 67 (260): 526-530.
32. Jobgen, W.S., Fried, S.K. and Fu, W.J. (2006). Regulatory role for the arginine-nitric oxide pathway in metabolism of energy substrates. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry v.17, p.571-588
33. Karagul, H., Altinta?, A., Fidanci, Ur, Sel T. Klinik Biyokimya, Baski, I. (2000). Klinik Biyokimya, 1. Bask?, Medisan Yay?nevi, D??kap?-Ankara.
34. Kaushik, H.K. and Bugalia, N.S. (1999). Plasma total protein, cholesterol, minerals and transaminases during pregnancy in goats. Ind Vet J. 76: 603–606.
35. Kehrer,? J.P.,? Smith,? C.V.?(1994). Free? radicals? in? biology:? sources,?reactivities, and roles in the etiology of human dieseases. In: Frei B (ed). Natural Antioxidants in Human Health and Diseases. San?Diego,?CA:?Academic?Press,?25–62.
36. Mert, N. (1996). Metabolitler, Veteriner Klinik Biyokimya, Uluda? Universitesi 172–228 (in Turkish).
37. Miller, J. K., Brzezinska-Slebodzinska, E. and Madsen, F.C. (1993). Oxidative stress, antioxidants,? and? animal?function.? J.? Dairy? Sci.? 76,?2812–2823.
38. Mohebbi-Fani M., Mirzaei, A., Nazifi, S. and Shabbooie, Z. (2012). Changes of vitamins A, E, and C and lipid peroxidation status of breeding and pregnant sheep during dry seasons on medium-to-low quality forages. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 44:259–265. [PubMed]
39. Mutinati, M., Piccinno, M, Roncetti, M., Campanile, D., Rizzo, A. and Sciorsci, R.L. (2013). Oxidative stress during pregnancy in the sheep. Review article. Reprod. Domest. Anim. 48:353–357. [PubMed
40. Nawito, M.F., Amal, R., Abd El Hameed, A. S., Sosa, A., Karima, G.H. and Mahmoud, M. (2016). Impact of pregnancy and nutrition on oxidant/ antioxidant balance in sheep and goats reared in South Sinai, Egypt. Vet World. 9(8): 801–805.
41. Odink, J., Smeets, J. F. M., Visser, I. J. R., Sandman, H. and Snijders, J. M. A. (1990). Haematological and clinicochemical profiles of healthy swine and swine with inflammatory processes. Journal of Animal Science, 68, 163 – 170
42. Ohkawa, H., Ohishi, N. and Yagi, K. (1979). Assay for Lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Analytical Biochemistry 95.351-358
43. Öztabak K, Civelek S, Özpinar A, Burçak G, Esen F. (2005).The effects of energy restricted diet on the activities of plasma Cu-Zn SOD, GSH-Px, CAT and TBARS concentrations in late pregnant ewes. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 29:1067–1071
44. Ozyurtlu, N., Gurgoze, S.Y., Bademkiran, S., ?im?ek, A. and Celik, R. (2007). ?vesi koyunlar?nda do?um oncesi ve sonras? donemdeki baz? biyokimyasal parametreler ve mineral madde duzeylerinin ara?t?r?lmas?. F U Sag Bil Derg; 21: 33–36 (in Turkish).
45. Rizzo, A., Mutinati, M., Spedicato, M., Minoia, G., Trisolini, C., Jirillo, F. and Sciorsci, R.L. (2008). First demonstration of an increased serum level of reactive oxygen species during the peripartal period in the ewes.?Immunopharmacol.?Immunotoxicol.?30,?741–746.
46. Rizzo, A., Minoia, G., Trisolini, C., Mutinati, M., Spedicato, M., Jirillo, F. and Sciorsci, R.L. (2009). Reactive oxygen species (ROS): Involvement in bovine follicular cysts etiopathogenesis. Immunopharmacol. Immunotoxicol. 31:631–635. [PubMed]
47. SAS. (2011). Statistical Analysis Systems Propriety Software Release. SAS Institute Inc., Cary
48. Scott, D. and Kurenitz, M. (1990). Using lipid-lowering agents effectively. When diet is not enough. Postgrad Med. 87(8):171–186. [Google Scholar])
49. Sekine, S., Terada, S. and Aoyama, T. (2013). Medium-chain triacylglycerol suppresses the decrease of plasma albumin level through the insulin-Akt-mtor pathway in the livers of malnourished rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol. 59(2):123–128. doi: 10.3177/jnsv.59.123[Crossref],
50. Shi, W., Meininger, C. and Haynes, T. (2004). Regulation of tetrahydrobiopterin synthesis and bioavailability in endothelial cells. Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, v. 41, p.415-433
51. Silanikove, N., Leitner, G., Merin, U., Prosser, C.G. (2010). Recent advances in exploiting goat’s milk: quality, safety and production aspects. Small Rumin. Res. 89, 110–124.Solymosi, N., Torma, C., Kern,
52. Tüzün,? A.,? Erdil,? A.,? Inal,? V.,? Aydin,? A.,? Bagci,? S.,? Yesilova,? Z.,? Sayal, A., Karaeren, N., Dagalp, K. (2002). Oxidative stress and antioxidant capacity in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Clin. Biochem.?35,?569–572.
53. Yokus, B. Cakir, D.U., Kanay, Z., Gulten, T. and Uysal, E. (2006). Effects of seasonal and physiological variations on the serum chemistry, vitamins and thyroid hormone concentrations in sheep. J Vet Med A 53: 271–276.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Uchechi Daureen Gift
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.