Study of Bio-efficacy of Alkali tolerant Trichoderma against damping off and rotting diseases of Tomato and Cauliflower caused by Pythium spp. and Sclerotina spp.
Objective:The main aim of the study is to analyze the bioefficacy of alkali tolerant Trichoderma viride IPL/VP/T2 under field conditions for the management of damping off and rotting disease on tomato crop and cauliflower crop caused by Pythium spp and Sclerotina spp respectively.
Methods: Alkali tolerant Trichoderma viride isolated from alkaline agricultural soil and were tested in-vitro and in-vivo for disease control. The pathogen was isolated from diseased tomato and cabbage plant by direct standard plating method. The assessment of Alkali tolerant Trichoderma viride against Pythium and Sclerotina was conducted by dual culture techniques and in field condition.
Result: Under field conditions Â results showed significant control of pre-emergence and post-emergence damping off disease on tomato and cauliflower to the minimum when compared to control under alkaline soil condition.
Conclusion: The study showed the effective biological control of Pythium and Scelrotina in the presence of Alkali tolerant Trichoderma in Tomato and cauliflower respectively.
Keywords: Alkali tolerant Trichoderma, Biocontrol, Damping off, Pythium spp, Rotting, Sclerotina.
1. Seed treatments for biological control of plant disease, Gary E. Harman Crop Protection, Vol-10, issue,3, June- 1991, pages 166-171.
2. Biljana Gveroska, Jugoslav Ziberoski Trichoderma harzianum as a biocontrol agent against Alternaria alternata on tobacco ATI,November 2011 - 67 - Applied Innovations and Technologies Volume 7 | Issue 2 | June 2012 |pp.67-76
3.Ranasingh, N., Saturabh, A., Nedunchezhiyan, M., 2006. Use of Trichoderma in disease
managemant,â€ Orissa Review, September-October, pp.68-70
4.L. Kredics et al.: (2003) Influence of environmental parameters on Trichodermaspp strains with biocontrol potentialTrichodermaspp Strains with Biocontrol Potential, Food Technol. Biotechnol. 41 (1) 37â€“42.
3.J.DluÅ¼niewska, Reaction of fungi of Trichoderma genus to selected abiotic factors, Electron. J. Pol. Agri. Univ. 6 (2003) 04.
6.D.G. Georgakopoulos1, P. Fiddaman2, C. Leifert3 and N.E. Malathrakis. Biological control of cucumber and sugar beet damping-off caused by Pythium ultimum with bacterial and fungal antagonists., Journal of Applied Microbiology 2002, 92, 1078â€“1086
7. Whipps, J.M. and Lumsden, R.D. (1991) Biological control of Pythium species. Biocontrol Science and Technology 1, 75â€“90
8. Salah Eddin Khabbaz,,Pervaiz A. Abbasi,Isolation, characterization, and formulation of antagonistic bacteria for the management of seedlings damping-off and root rot disease of cucumber. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 2014, 60(1): 25-33
9.Efficacy of plant extracts and biocontrol agents against Pythiumaphanidermatum inciting chilli damping-offA. Muthukumar,A. Eswaran,S. Nakkeeran,G. SangeethaCrop Protection, Vol-29, issue,12, Dec-2010, pages 1483-1488.
10.Development of formulations of Trichodermaharzianum strain M1 for control of damping-off of tomato caused by Pythiumaphanidermatum
11. Omokhua, G. E. 2011, Pre and Post-Emergence Damping-Off of Chrysophyllum albidum G. Don and C. delevoyi Dewild in Port Harcourt an International Multidisciplinary Journal, Ethiopia Vol. 5 (6), Serial No. 23, Pp. 411-421.
12. Hossain, M. T. 2010, Survey on major diseases of vegetable and fruit crops in Chittagong region Bangladesh J. Agril. Res. 35(3): 423-429, ISSN 0258-7122
13 VimalaKumari TG, Basu K, Gnanu N, Varma A, Kharkwal AC. et al, Isolation and Screening of Alkali tolerant Trichodermaspp as Biocontrol Agent for Alkaline Agricultural Soil, International Jounal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutial Sciences ISSN 0975-1491, vol 6, issue 10, 2014
14. Biocontrol potential of Trichoderma sp. against plant pathogens.Anand, S.; Jayarama ReddyInternational Journal of Agriculture Sciences 2009 Vol. 1 No. 2 pp. 30-39
15.J. Jayaraj Dr, N. V. Radhakrishnan & R. Velazhahanpages 1-8, Archives Of Phytopathology And Plant Protection Volume 39, Issue 1, 2006.
16. Efficacy of different seed dressing agents in the control of damping off disease of chilli caused by Pythiumaphanidermatum.Saha, S.; Naskar, I.; Nayak, D. K.; Sarkar, M. K.Journal of Mycopathological Research 2008 Vol. 46 No. 1 pp. 121-123
17. Banik S. et al., Variability in cauliflower stalk rot pathogen Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, ndian Phytopath. 62 (3) : 279-284 (2009)