DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF ANALYTICAL METHOD FOR ISOSULFAN BLUE BY LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY
Objective: To develop and validate new, simple and rapid analytical method for determination of related impurities in isosulfan blue drug substances by the liquid chromatographic method as per ICH guidelines.
Methods: The chromatographic separation obtained between drug substance i.e. isosulfan blue and its related impurities (Impurity-A, Impurity-B and Impurity-C) on C18 (100 x 2.00 mm) 1.9Âµ UPLC column using a mobile phase system containing 0.1 % perchloric acid in water (Mobile phase A) and 0.1 % perchloric acid in mixture of 30 volumes of water and 70 volumes of acetonitrile (Mobile Phase B) with gradient program; detector wavelength 220 nm and column temperature 30 Â°C. The developed method was extensively validated according to ICH guidelines.
Results: Good linearity was observed for isosulfan blue, impurity-A, impurity-B and impurity-C, linearity was calculated from loq Level To 150%with respect to specification level. The correlation coefficient R = 0.999 was proved and showed that the method is robust. The limit of detection of isosulfan blue, impurity-A, impurity-B and impurity-C were found to be 0.010%, 0.015%, 0.030% and 0.0075 % respectively and limit of quantitation of isosulfan blue, impurity-A, impurity-B and impurity-C were found to be 0.030%, 0.030%, 0.045% and 0.015% respectively for 2ml injection volume. The percentage recovery of isosulfan blue and its related impurities were ranged from 94.0 to 108.0 in bulk drug samples. Isosulfan blue sample solution and mobile phase were found to be stable for at least 72 h. The proposed method was found to be suitable and accurate for the quantitative determination of impurity-A, impurity-B, impurity-C and other unknown impurities in isosulfan blue drug substances.
Conclusion: A new, simple and rapid method has been developed and validated for separation and determination of impurity-A, impurity-B, impurity-C and unknown impurities of isosulfan blue by the reverse-phase liquid chromatographic method. Analytical method was developed and validated as per ICH guidelines.
The developed method can be used for the quantitative determination of impurity A, impurity B, impurity C and unknown impurities in isosulfan blue drug substances in pharmaceutical industry.
2. Kovi R, Nampalli S, Tharial P, Maurya H, Arjun A, Sope S, Kar S. Process for preparation of Isosulfan Blaue,â€ U. S. Publication number US8969616 B2; 2013.
3. Jadhav HP, Pathare DB. Separation and determination of the S-Isomer of (10-Camphorsulfonyl) oxaziridine in a bulk drugs substance by normal phase liquid chromatography. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:66-9.
4. Raul SK, Aravelli AB. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of atorvatanin and ezetimibe in pharmaceutical dosage. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:178-81.
5. Jadhav HP. Determination of R-isomer impurity of pantoprazole sodium in a bulk drug substance by the normal phase chiral liquid chromatography method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8:45-8.
6. ICH Guidelines on Validation of Analytical Procedures. Definitions and Terminology, Federal register IFPMA Switzerland; 1995;60:11260-2.