FORMULATION OF FAST-DISSOLVING TABLETS OF DOXAZOSIN MESYLATE DRUG BY DIRECT COMPRESSION METHOD
Objective: The rationale of the current research work was to formulate and evaluate fast-dissolving tablets of doxazosin mesylate with minimum disintegration time and improved dissolution efficiency using solid dispersion method.
Methods: Solid dispersions of doxazosin mesylate and polyethylene glycol 8000 in different ratios were prepared using the kneading method. The prepared solid dispersions were subjected to drug interaction and dissolution studies to select the effective solid dispersion for the formulation of fast-dissolving tablets. Fast dissolving tablets containing drug-polyethylene glycol 8000 solid dispersion (1:3) were prepared using various super-disintegrants such as crospovidone, croscarmellose sodium, mixture and coprocessed crospovidone and croscarmellose sodium in concentration range of 2% and 5% by direct compression technique. The prepared formulations (F1â€“F16) were evaluated for post compression parameters; hardness, thickness, friability, wetting time, disintegration time, and inâ€“vitro drug release.
Results: Drug doxazosin mesylate showed enhanced aqueous solubility of 13.3Âµg/ml in the presence of polyethylene glycol 8000. Differential scanning calorimetery and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy studies confirmed no interaction between drug and polyethylene glycol 8000and, drug-polyethylene glycol 8000 solid dispersion showed cumulative drug release of 44.48% in 60 min. Formulated FDT of drug-polyethylene glycol 8000 solid dispersion, containing coprocessed mixture of crospovidone and croscarmellose sodium (5%) exhibited disintegration time of 14.5s with percentage cumulative release of 92.46% in 60 min.
Conclusion: The work reasonably concludes that for the formulated doxazosin mesylate-fast dissolving tablets, disintegration time was effectively reduced by the presence of coprocessed mixture of crospovidone and croscarmellose sodium and dissolution efficiency was improved by preparation of solid dispersion with polyethylene glycol 8000.
2. Jung HC, Yong-Il K, Dong WK, Abid MY, Jong OK, Jong SW, Chul SY, Han GC. Development of novel fast-dissolving tacrolimus solid dispersion-loaded prolonged release tablet. Eur J Pharm Sci 2014;54:1-7.
3. Bhowmik D, Chiranjib B, Krishnakanth, Pankaj, Chandira RM. Fast dissolving tablet: an overview. J Chem Pharm Res 2009;1:163-77.
4. Asthana A, Aggarwal S, Asthana G. Oral dispersible tablets: novel technology and development. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;20:193-9.
5. Fu Y, Yang S, Jeong SH, Kimura S, Park K. Orally fast disintegrating tablets: developments, technologies, taste-masking and clinical studies. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst 2004;21:433-76.
6. Jin Y, Ohkuma H, Wang H, Natsume H, Sugibayashi K, Morimoto Y. Fast-disintegration oral tablets having sustained release property. Yakugaku zasshi: J Pharm Soc Japan 2002;122:989-94.
7. Deepak S, Dinesh K, Mankaran S, Gurmeet S. Fast disintegrating tablets: a new era in novel drug delivery system and new market opportunities. J Drug Delivery Ther 2012;2:74-86.
8. M Aly, M Semreen, MK Qato. Superdisintegrants for solid dispersion to produce rapidly disintegrating tenoxicam tablet via camphor sublimation. Pharm Technol; 2005. p. 68â€“78.
9. Teofilo V, Sara M, Jose das N, Bruno S. Amorphous solid dispersions: rational selection of a manufacturing process. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 2016;100:85-101.
10. Dhirendra K, Lewis S, Udupa N, Atin K. Solid dispersions: a review. Pak J Pharm Sci 2009;2:234-46.
11. Chung M, Vashi V, Puente J, Sweeney M, Meredith P. Clinical pharmacokinetics of doxazosin in a controlled-release gastrointestinal therapeutic system (GITS) formulation. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1999;48:678-87.
12. Rao K, Deb K, Rao M, Patro S, Patnaik A. Development and validation of stability indicating analytical method for doxazosin mesylate and its application to kinetic studies. Chem Sci J 2012;3:1-10.
13. Elliott HL, Meredith PA, Reid JL. Pharmacokinetic overview of doxazosin. Am J Cardiol 1987;59:78G-81G.
14. B Kaye, NJ Cussans, JK Faulkner, DA Stopher, JL Reid. The metabolism and kinetics of doxazosin in man, mouse, rat and dog. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1986;21:19Sâ€“25S.
15. Marijana E, Maria V, Helena C, Miljenko Dd, Biserka Cetina-Cizmeka, Christos R. In vitro vs. canine data for assessing early exposure of doxazosin base and its mesylate salt. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2012;80:402â€“9.
16. Shilpa PC, Neeraj RK, Mahesh MB, Vardhman CB. Formulation development and evaluation of orally disintegrating tablets of doxazosin mesylate. Asian J Pharma 2012;6:266-4.
17. Ha JM, Kim JY, Oh TO, Rhee YS, Chi SC, Kuk H, et al. Preparation and evaluation of sustained-release doxazosin mesylate pellets. Chem Pharm Bull 2013;61:371-8.
18. Cristina Dos S, Maria del Pr B, Maria FM. Phase solubility studies of terpineol with cyclodextrins and stability of the freeze-dried inclusion complex. Procedia Food Sci 2011;1:355â€“2.
19. Pankajkumar SY, Vikas K, Udaya PS, Hans RB, Mazumder. Physicochemical characterization and in vitro dissolution studies of solid dispersions of ketoprofen with PVP K30 and D-mannitol. Saudi Pharm J 2013;21:77â€“84.
20. Ozkan Y, Doganay N, Dikmen N, IÅŸimer A. Enhanced release of solid dispersions of etodolac in polyethylene glycol. Farmaco 2000;55:433-8.
21. Chaudhari PD, Chaudhari SP, Kohle SR, Dave KN, More DM. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of famotidine. Indian Drugs 2005;10:641-9.
22. Shilpi S, Mushir A, Sanjula B, Alka A. Solid dispersion as an approach for bioavailability enhancement of poorly water-soluble drug ritonavir. AAPS PharmSciTech 2010;11:518-27.
23. Sammour OA, Hammad MA, Megrab NA, Zidan AS. Formulation and optimization of mouth dissolving tablets containing rofecoxib solid dispersion. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2006;7:1-9.
24. Biswal S, Sanooj J, Murthy PN. Characterisation of gliclazide-PEG 8000 solid dispersion. Trop J Pharm Res 2009;5:417-28.
25. Thao Truong-Dinh Trana, Phuong Ha-Lien Trana, Han-Gon Choib, Hyo-Kyung Hanc, Beom-Jin Leea. The roles of acidifiers in solid dispersions and physical mixtures. Int J Pharm 2010;384:60â€“6.
26. H Munoz, H Castan, B Clares, MA Ruiz. Obtaining fast dissolving disintegrating tablets with different doses of melatonin. Int J Pharm 2014;467:84â€“9.
27. Vivek D, Renu BY, Richa A, Sachdev Y. Formulation design and optimization of novel fast dissolving tablet of chlorpheniramine maleate by using lyophilization techniques. Bull fac pharm cairo univ. 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bfopcu. 2016.12.001. [Article in Press]
28. Inayat BP, Prakash RS, Pritish K. Formulation design and optimization of novel mouth dissolving tablets for venlafaxine hydrochloride using sublimation technique. J Pharm Res 2013;6:593-8.
29. Mohsinaa, NImbalakr NE, Sanaullah S. Formulation and evalution of mouth dissolving tablets of amitriptyline hydrochloride by direct compression technique. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:204-10.
30. Shailaja CJ, Preeti Karwa, Nargund LVG. Development of fast dissolving tablets of losartan potassium using kollidon CL-SF. J Chem Pharm Res 2013;5:119-27.
31. Bi Y, Sunada H, Yonezawa Y. Preparation and evaluation of a compressed tablet rapidly disintegrating in the oral cavity. Chem Pharm Bull 1996;44:2121-7.
32. Moris S, Pananchery J, Jain A. Formulation and evaluation of metformin HCl mouth dissolving tablet using sublimating agent. Int. J. Pharma Sci Res 2015;6:1050-5.
33. Devendra RR, Hemant NG, Vikas VP, Vinod MT, Vijay RP. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of albendazole. Int Curr Pharm J 2012;1:311-16.
34. Desai SA, Kharade SV, Petkar KC. Orodissolving tablets of promethazine hydrochloride. Ind J Pharm Educ Res 2006;40:172-4.
35. Rehab NS, Mona B. SoluplusÂ®: a novel polymeric solubilizer for optimization of carvedilol solid dispersions: formulation design and effect of method of preparation. Powder Technol 2013;237:406â€“14.
36. S Biswal, J Sahoo, PN Murthy, RP Giradkar, JG Avari. Enhancement of dissolution rate of gliclazide using solid dispersions with polyethylene glycol 6000. AAPS PharmSciTech 2008:9;563â€“70.
37. Law D, Schmitt EA, Marsh KC, Everitt EA, Wang W, Fort JJ, et al. Ritonavir-PEG 8000 amorphous solid dispersions: in vitro and in vivo evaluations. J Pharm Sci 2004;93:563-70.
38. Pabari RM, Ramtoola Z. Effect of a disintegration mechanism on wetting, water absorption, and disintegration time of orodispersible tablets. J Young Pharm 2012;4:157-63.
39. C Ferrero, N Mufioz, MV Velasco, A Mufioz-Ruiz, R Jim6nez-Castellanos C. Disintegrating efficiency of croscarmellose sodium in a direct compression formulation. Int J Pharm 1997;147:11-21.