VALIDATED GRADIENT STABILITY INDICATING RP-HPLC METHOD FOR THE SIMULTANEOUS QUANTIFICATION OF 11 RELATED SUBSTANCES IN THE COMBINED DOSAGE FORMS OF LAMIVUDINE AND TENOFOVIR DISOPEOXIL FUMARATE
Objective: Development of a stability-indicating reverse phase liquid chromatographic (RP-HPLC) method for the simultaneous quantification of 11 impurities in the combined dosage forms of lamivudine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate drug substances.
Methods: Efficient chromatographic separation of all analytes was achieved on a Waters X-terra RP18 column (150 x 4.6 mm, 3.5 mm) using mobile phase A (ammonium acetate buffer, pH adjusted to 5.0Â±0.05 with dilute orthophosphoric acid) and mobile phase B (mixture of methanol and ammonium acetate buffer in the ratio of 20:80) with the flow rate of 1.0 ml/min in gradient elution mode at 260 nm.
Results: The method was validated in terms of the limit of detection, limit of quantification, linearity, accuracy, precision and robustness according to the international conference on harmonisation (ICH Q2R1). Regression analysis showed that the correlation coefficient (r2) is greater than 0.997 for individual active drug substances as well as their related substances. The method has proven very accurate (94.6 % to 108.2 % with % RSD not more than 4.9), highly precise (% RSD of the Intra-day and the inter-day study was not more than 8.9) and robust enough to deliver accurate results, when the chromatographic conditions were altered intentionally. Forced degradation studies were conducted in acidic, basic, thermal, photolytic, humid and peroxide stress conditions, where all the degradation peaks were monitored. Highest degradation of lamivudine was observed under oxidative stress condition and tenofovir was more susceptible to degradation under acidic and alkaline conditions.
Conclusion: The present method is able to separate all the related compounds with each other and with the main drug substances with the resolution more than 2.0. The test solution was found to be stable in diluent up to 24 h. The mass balance of forced degradation of formulations, close to 99 %, made this method as a stability indicating method.
2. Martindale: The complete drug reference. In: Sweetman SC. editors. 33rd ed. London: The Pharmaceutical Press; 2002.
3. Sharma R, Mehta K. Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and lamivudine in three component tablet formulation containing efavirenz. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:527-30.
4. Anandakumar K, Kannan K, Vetrichelvan T. Development and validation of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in pure and in fixed-dose combination by UV spectro-photometry. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2011;6:1085-90.
5. Sutar SV, Patil SS, Pishvikar SA, More HN. Spectrophotometric method for degradation study of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:4363-6.
6. Anindita B, Aurobinda P, Kumar MA, Chandra T. Development and validation of spectrophotometric method for determination of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2011;3:125-35.
7. Nyamweru B, Kaale E, Mugoyela V, Chambuso M. Development and validation of an HPTLC-densitometric method for simultaneous analysis of lamivudine, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, and efavirenz (LTE) in tablets. J Planar Chromatogr Mod TLC 2013:26:226-31.
8. Prasad LAR, Rao JVLNS, Srinivasu P, Hemalatha J. New stability indicating HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine, tenofovir and nevirapine in extended release tablets. Int J Pharm 2013;3:136-44.
9. Goud VM, Rao AS, Kumar SR. Method development and validation for simultaneous determination of lamivudine and tenofovir in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013:5:215-8.
10. Sonawane PH, Panzade PS, Kale MA. Simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and combined pharmaceutical dosage form by HPLC method. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2013;3:27-30.
11. Anandakumar K, Kamarajanb K, Vetrichelvan T. A validated RP-HPLC method for simulataneous estimation of lamivudine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in pure and in tablet dosage form. Eurasian J Anal Chem 2012;7:56-66.
12. Sharma T, Mishra N, Swapan K, Sudam CSI, Sankar DG. Validated RP-HPLC method for estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:108-10.
13. Dhara SB, Bhavini NP, Chhaganbhai NP. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, lamivudine, and efavirenz in combined tablet dosage form. Pharm Methods 2012;3:73-8.
14. Shweta H, Dhaneshwar SR. Development and validation of a stability-indicating LC method for the determination of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in a pharmaceutical formulation. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2012;34:615-22.
15. Srinath A, Sneha B, Akhila A, Ahmed R, Kulkarni RG. Method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine, tenofovir and efavirenz in combined tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC and UV-spectroscopic method. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:5491-7.
16. Anandakumar K, Abirami G, Murugan S, Ashok B. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and efavirenz in tablet formulation. J Anal Chem 2013;68:815-21.
17. Dunge A, Varalakshmi C, Daisy VV, Sanjana D, Jos H, Ervin A. Development of a validated liquid chromatographic method for the determination of related Substances and assay of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. J Sep Sci 2010;33:1708-16.
18. Rao NM, Sankar DG. Development and validation of stability-indicating HPLC method for simultaneous determination of lamivudine, tenofovir, and dolutegravir in bulk and their tablet dosage form. Future J Pharm Sci 2015;1:73-7.
19. Madeesh SK, Ismail Y, Gunasekaran V. Development and validation for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine, tenofovir and efavirenz by UPLC. Int J Pharm 2012;2:656-60.
20. Purnima BV, Reddy TVB, Rao YS, Ramu G. Stability indicating RP-UPLC method for the assay of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and dosage forms. Am J Anal Chem 2015;6:807-21.
21. Kurmi M, Singh DK, Tiwari S, Sharma P, Singh S. Stability behaviour of antiretroviral drugs and their combinations. characterization of interaction products of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate by mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2016;128:438-46.
22. Krishna MM, Laxminarayana B, Rao PN, Kumar IJ, Rao JVLNS. A novel LC-MS/MS method for simultaneous quantification of tenofovir and lamivudine in human plasma and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. Biomed Chromatogr 2012; 26:1202-9.
23. Krishna MM, Rao PN, Kumar IJ, Laxminarayana B, Rao JVLNS. Simultaneous quantitation of lamivudine, zidovudine and nevirapine in human plasma by liquid chromatographyâ€“tandem mass spectrometry and application to a pharma-cokinetic study. Acta Pharm Sin B 2012;2:472â€“80.