STABILITY INDICATING RP-HPLC ASSAY METHOD FOR ESTIMATION OF DIMETHYL FUMARATE IN BULK AND CAPSULES
Objective: To develop an accurate, simple, precise and specific stability indicating RP-HPLC method for estimation of dimethyl fumarate in bulk and capsules.
Methods: An Inertsil ODS (150x4.6 mm, 5Âµ) column and a mobile phase containing acetonitrile: potassium dihydrogen phosphate buffer pH 6.8 (50:50% v/v) was used for this study. The flow rate was maintained at 1.0 ml/min; column temperature was fixed at 35 Â°C and UV detection was carried out at 210 nm. The forced degradation studies were performed and method was validated with as per ICH guidelines.
Results: The retention time of dimethyl fumarate was found to be 3.3Â±0.02 min. The value of correlation coefficient between peak area and concentration was found to be 0.9993. The mean percent recovery of dimethyl fumarate in capsules was found in the range of 99.65 to 101.64%. The results of forced degradation studies indicated that the drug was found to be stable in basic, oxidative and thermal conditions while degraded in acidic conditions.Conclusion: It can be conducted from results that the developed HPLC method is simple, accurate, precise and specific. Results of stress testing study revealed that the method is stability indicating. Thus, this method can be used for routine analysis of dimethyl fumarate capsules and check their stability.Â
2. Patient information, Techfidera, Highlights of prescribing information, Biogen Inc, Cambridge [Approved by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration, Revised: 1/2017].
3. Balaji J, Shri CN. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for determination of related substances of dimethyl fumarate drug product. Indian J Res 2016;5:196-8.
4. Gennari O, Montesano D, Salzano A, Albrizio S, Grumetto L. Determination of dimethyl fumarate in desiccant and anti mould sachets by reversedâ€phase liquid chromatography. Biom J Res Chromatography 2011;25:1315-8.
5. Suneetha A. Role of dimethyl fumarate in oxidative stress of multiple sclerosis: a review. J Chromatogr Biomed Appl 2016;19:1-6.
6. Suneetha A, Rajeswari RK. Prescriptive oriented drug analysis of multiple sclerosis diseases by LC-UV in whole human blood. J Chromatographic Sci 2016;54:1-10.
7. Suneetha A, Raja K. Comparison of LCâ€UV and LCâ€“MS methods for simultaneous determination of teriflunomide, dimethyl fumarate and fampridine in human plasma: application to rat pharmacokinetic study. Biomedical J Res Chromatography 2016;1:1-7.
8. ICH Harmonized-Tripartite Guidelines. Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology. November Q2(R1); 2005.
9. ICH Harmonized-Tripartite Guidelines. Stability Testing of New Drug Substance And Products. February Q1A(R2); 2003.
10. Supriya C, Ramanjulu N, Venkatasubba N. Validated stability-indicating assay method for azathioprine in the pharmaceutical dosage form according to ICH guidelines. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:301-7.
11. Pratibha V, Varsha N, Soni MA. Stability indicating HPLC method for the determination if metronidazole using eco-friendly solvent as mobile phase component. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:496-501.
12. Jain HK, Randhe VA. Stability indicating assay method for estimation of midodrine hydrochloride in bulk and tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:283-7.
13. Radhika S, Ragin S. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of dosulepin hydrochloride and methylcobalamin in tablet dosage form. Int J Applied Pharm Sci 2017;9:69-75.
14. Blessy M, Rachi P, Prajapati N. Development of forced degradation and stability indicating studies of drugs-a review. J Pharm Anal 2014;4:159-65.