DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF RP-HPLC METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF CURCUMIN AND PIPERINE
Objective: The present study was aimed to develop a simple, sensitive and precise high performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) method for the simultaneous estimation of curcumin and piperine and to implement the developed method for the estimation of curcumin and piperine in the nanoparticulate formulation.
Methods: Method development was performed using various solvent, buffer-solvent ratios, at different flow rates for adequate separation of both drugs. The developed method was validated in accordance with the international conference on harmonization (ICH) guidelines. The developed method was implemented to estimate the amount of curcumin and piperine in the nanoparticulate formulation.
Results: Chromatographical conditions were optimized, and the best chromatographical conditions with adequate resolution for curcumin and piperine was achieved using enable C18G reverse phase column, using a mobile phase combination of acetonitrile and phosphate buffer (pH 3)in a ratio of 70:30 v/v at a flow rate of 1.0 ml/min. The detection was monitored at a wavelength of 360 nm. The retention time of curcumin and piperine was found to be 7.2 min and 8.5 min respectively.
Conclusion: The developed analytical method is simple, precise, and reproducible and thus can be used for simultaneous estimation of curcumin and piperine in pharmaceutical formulations.
2. Panigrahi S, Hirlekar R. A new stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for determination of curcumin: an application to the nanoparticulate formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:149-55.
3. Li J, Jiang Y, Wen J, Fan G, Yutian W, Zhanga C. A rapid and simple HPLC method for the determination of curcumin in rat plasma: assay development, validation, and application to a pharmacokinetic study of curcumin liposome. Biomed Chromatogr 2009;23:1201â€“7.
4. Steffi PF, Srinivasan M. Curcumin, a potent anticarcinogenic polyphenolâ€“a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7 Suppl 2:1-8.
5. Sharma S, Saraogi GK, Kumar V. Development of spectroscopic methods for simultaneous determination of artesunate and curcumin in a liposomal formulation. Int J Appl Pharm 2015;7:8-21.
6. Korany MA, Haggag RS, Ragab MA, Elmallah OA. A validated stability-indicating HPLC method for simultaneous determination of silymarin and curcumin in various dosage forms. Arabian J Chem 2013;6:1-15.
7. Upadhyay V, Sharma N, Joshi HM, Malik A, Mishra M, Singh BP, et al. Development and validation of a rapid RP-HPLC method for estimation of piperine in piper nigrum L. Int J Herb Med 2013;4:6-9.
8. Ramaswamy S, Kuppswamy G, Dwarampudi PL, Kadiyala M, Menta L, Kannan E. Development and validation of simultaneous estimation method for curcumin and piperine by RP-UFLC. Pak J Pharm Sci 2014;27:901-6.
9. Vyas N, Gamit K, Khan MY, Panchal S, Pundarikakshudu K. Simultaneous estimation of curcumin and piperine in their crude powder mixture and ayurvedic formulation using High-performance thin layer chromatography. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2:231-6.
10. Shaikh J, Ankola DD, Beniwal V, Singh D, Ravi Kumar MNV. Nanoparticle encapsulation improves oral bioavailability of curcumin by at least 9-fold when compared to curcumin administered with piperine as absorption enhancer. Eur J Pharm Sci 2009;37:223â€“30.
11. Guido S, David J, Thangam J, Majeed M, Rajendran R, Srinivas PSSR. Influence of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteers. Planta Med 1998;64:353â€“6.
12. Rathnawathie M, Buckle KA. Determination of piperine in pepper (Piper nigrum) using high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr 1983;264:316-20.
13. Moorthi C, Kumar S, Mohan S, Krishanan K, Kathiresan K. Application of a validated RP-HPLC-PD method for simultaneous estimation of curcumin and piperine in eudragit E 100 nanoparticles. J Pharm Res 2013;7:224-9.
14. ICH guidance on method validation; validation of analytical procedures text and methodology Q2; 2005.
15. Xiu-Mei W, Qi-Zhi Z, Jian Y, Rong-Hua Z, Jun Z, Li-Jing C, et al. Validated HPLCâ€“MS/MS method for simultaneous determination of curcumin and piperine in human plasma. Trop J Pharm Res 2012;11:621-9.