FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF FUROSEMIDE LIQUISOLID COMPACT
Objective: The purpose of this study was to enhance the dissolution pattern of the practically water-insoluble diuretic drug, furosemide through its formulation into liquisolid tablets.
Methods: A mathematical model was used to formulate four liquisolid powder systems using polyethylene glycol 400 as a non-volatile water miscible liquid vehicle. The liquid loading factors of the vehicle were used to calculate the optimum quantities of carrier (Avicel PH 102) and coating materials (Aerosil 200) needed to prepare acceptably flowing and compactible powder mixtures and (R) ratio used was 25. The liquisolid tablets were evaluated for weight variation, percent friability, hardness, content uniformity, disintegration time and in vitro drug release profile. Drug and the prepared systems were characterized by fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and powder x-ray diffraction (PXRD) studies.
Results: The enhanced dissolution rate due to the increased wetting properties and the large available surface areas for dissolution were obtained in case of the liquisolid tablets. The selected optimal formulation (F2) of 50% drug concentration released 90% of its content during the first 10 min compared to 65% of DCT. FTIR studies revealed that there was no interaction between drug and polymers. DSC and PXRD indicated conversion of crystalline to amorphous form of furosemide.Â
Conclusion: The dissolution rate of furosemide can be enhanced to a great extent by liquisolid technique.
2. Vemula S, Radhika K. Liquisolid compact technique for improvement of the dissolution rate of flurbiprofen: formulation and evaluation. J Drug Res Dev 2015;1:2470-1009, 102.
3. Prajila A, Vipin K, Chandran S, Premaletha K, Augusthy A. Formulation and evaluation of deflazacort liquisolid tablets. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2016;6:19-25.
4. Lahmo P, Singh SK, Garg V, Maharshi P, Yadav AK, Gulati M, et al. Influence of formulation parameters on dissolution rate enhancement of piroxicam using the liquisolid technique. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:1-6.
5. Kumar Nagabandi V, Ramarao T, Jayaveera K. Liquisolid compacts: a novel approach to enhance bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2011;1:89-102.
6. Satyajit Panda, R Varaprasad, K Priyanka, Ranjit P Swain. Liquisolid technique: a novel approach for dosage form design. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:8-14.
7. Mangal G, Dhobale S. Development of UV spectrophotometric methods and validation for estimation of furosemide in bulk and tablet dosage form by absorbance maxima and area under the curve method. Int J Adv Pharma 2016;5:160-70.
8. Acid F, Acid A, Acefyllinate A, Camphorate A, Persulfate A, Alfa A, et al. Martindale: the complete drug reference. Pharmaceutical Press; 2014.
9. Smith H. Diuretics: a review for the pharmacist: a review. SA Pharm J 2014;81:18-21.
10. El-Hammadi M, Awad N. Investigating the use of liquisolid compacts technique to minimize the influence of pH variations on loratadine release. AAPS PharmSciTech 2012;13:53-8.
11. Spireas S. Liquisolid systems and methods of preparing same. Google Patents; 2002.
12. Kaur M, Bala R, Arora S. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid compacts of amlodipine besylate. Int Res J Pharm 2013;4:156-60.
13. Gohel MC, Parikh RK, Brahmbhatt BK, Shah AR. Preparation and assessment of novel co-processed superdisintegrant consisting of crospovidone and sodium starch glycolate: a technical note. AAPS PharmSciTech 2007;8:E63-E9.
14. Bhairav BA, Jadhav MS, Saudagar R. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid tablet of felodipine. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:1670-85.
15. Saeedi M, Akbari J, Morteza-Semnani K, Enayati-Fard R, Sar-Reshteh-dar S, Soleymani A. Enhancement of dissolution rate of indomethacin: using liquisolid compacts. Iran J Pharm Res 2011;10:25.
16. Mohammed Asif Hussain Mg, T Rama Rao, Maimuna Anjum. Preparation and evaluation of nilvadipine liquisolid compacts. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:1-8.
17. Messa R, Ampati S. Comparative studies for enhancement of the dissolution profile of pitavastatin. Int J Med Nano 2016;3:311-5.
18. Mahendran Baskaran KBT, Gowthamarajan Kuppusamy, Veera, Kollipara VSRKa R. Formulation development of atorvastatin calcium tablets by gel liquisolid compact technique for improving solid-state stability and dissolution profile. J Drug Res Dev 2016;2:1-7.
19. Arun Raj, R AsAKaJ H. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid tablets of nifedipine. RGUHS J Pharm Sci 2013;3:43-50.
20. Kapoor D, Patel M, Vyas RB, Lad C. Formulation development, optimization and in vitro characterization of liquisolid compacts of an oxicam derivative. J Drug Delivery Ther 2016;6:64-70.
21. Abbas Aaa, Rasool Aaa, Rajab Na. Preparation and comparative evaluation of liquisolid compact and solid dispersion of candesartan cilexetil. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:257-66.
22. Trustees USPCBo, Convention USP, Revision USPCCo, Board NF. The united states pharmacopoeia: National formulary. Supplement. United States; 2006.
23. Deshmukh P. Dissolution enhancement of rosuvastatin calcium by liquisolid compact technique. J Pharm 2013:1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/315902
24. Sayyad FJ, Tulsankar SL, Kolap UB. Design and development of liquisolid compact of candesartan cilexetil to enhance dissolution. J Pharm Res 2013;7:381-8.
25. Eedara BB, Kankane M, Jukanti R, Nagabandi VK, Bandari S. Enhanced solubility and permeability of exemestane solid dispersion powders for improved oral delivery. J Pharm Inves 2013;43:229-42.
26. Adibkia K, Shokri J, Barzegar-Jalali M, Solduzian M, Javadzadeh Y. Effect of solvent type on retardation properties of diltiazem HCl form liquisolid tablets. Colloids Surf B 2014;113:10-4.
27. Abd-El Bary A, Louis D, Sayed S. Liquisolid tablet formulation as a tool to improve the dissolution of olmesartan medoxomil. Inventi Rapid: NDDS 2014;3:1-8.
28. Rajesh Asija SB, Sangeeta Asija, Alpesh Yadav, Isha Shah. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution of lercanidipine by liquisolid technique. J Chem Pharma Res 2014;6:2680-6.
29. Sanka K, Poienti S, Mohd AB, Diwan PV. Improved oral delivery of clonazepam through liquisolid powder compact formulations: in vitro and ex-vivo characterization. Powder Technol 2014;256:336-44.
30. Elkhodairy KA, Hassan MA, Afifi SA. Formulation and optimization of orodispersible tablets of flutamide. Saudi Pharm J 2014;22:53-61.
31. Singh Y. Martinâ€™s physical pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences: department of pharmaceutics ernest mario school of pharmacy rutgers, the State University of New Jersey; 2006.
32. Javadzadeh, Yousef. Effect of some commercial grades of microcrystalline cellulose on flowability, compressibility, and dissolution profile of piroxicam liquisolid compacts. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2009;35:243-51.
33. Karia I, Parmar RB. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of olmesartan medoxomil by using co-processed excipients techique. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:1356-73.
34. Patil BS, Rao NR. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving granisetron hydrochloride tablets: effect of the functionality of superdisintegrants. Int J Adv Pharm Sci 2011;2:33-9.
35. Gohel MC, Parikh RK, Brahmbhatt BK, Shah AR. Improving the tablet characteristics and dissolution profile of ibuprofen by using a novel co-processed superdisintegrant: a technical note. AAPS PharmSciTech 2007;8:E94-E9.
36. Vranikova B, Gajdziok J, Dolezel P. The effect of superdisintegrants on the properties and dissolution profiles of liquisolid tablets containing rosuvastatin. Pharm Dev Technol 2017;22:138-47.
37. Spireas S, Sadu S. Enhancement of prednisolone dissolution properties using liquisolid compacts. Int J Pharm 1998; 166:177-88.
38. Javadzadeh Y, Siahi-Shadbad M, Barzegar-Jalali M, Nokhodchi A. Enhancement of dissolution rate of piroxicam using liquisolid compacts. Il Farmaco 2005;60:361-5.
39. Nokhodchi A, Javadzadeh Y, Siahi-Shadbad MR, Barzegar-Jalali M. The effect of type and concentration of vehicles on the dissolution rate of a poorly soluble drug (indomethacin) from liquisolid compacts. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2005;8:18-25.
40. Prajapati ST, Bulchandani HH, Patel DM, Dumaniya SK, Patel CN. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid compacts for olmesartan medoxomil. J Drug Delivery 2013;1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/870579
41. Chaulang G, Patil K, Ghodke D, Khan S, Yeole P. Preparation and characterization of solid dispersion tablet of furosemide with crospovidone. Res J Pharm Tech 2008;1:386-9.
42. Aceves JM, Cruz R, Hernandez E. Preparation and characterization of Furosemide-Eudragit controlled release systems. Int J Pharm 2000;195:45-53.
43. Parmar K, Patel J, Sheth N. Fabrication and characterization of liquisolid compacts of Embelin for dissolution enhancement. J Pharm Inves 2014;44:391-8.
44. Chatap VK, Patil PL, Patil SD. In vitro, ex-vivo characterization of furosemide bounded pharmacosomes for improvement of solubility and permeability. Adv Pharm Pharm 2014;2:67-76.
45. Dias RJ, Mali KK, Ghorpade VS, Daulatrao V, Havaldar VRM. Formulation and evaluation of carbamazepine liquisolid compacts using novel carriers. Indian J Pharm Edu Res 2017;51:69-78.
46. Parmar K, Patel J, Sheth N. Formulation and development of embelin liquisolid systems using quality by design approach. J Pharm Inves 2016;46:547-56.