A PREFORMULATION STUDY ON INTERACTIONS BETWEEN DOXORUBICIN HYDROCHLORIDE AND BOVINE SERUM ALBUMIN
Objective: The objective was to study the effect of concentrations of doxorubicin hydrochloride (Dox) and bovine serum albumin (BSA) in a sample on fluorescence intensity, UV absorbance, refractive index and optical rotation.
Methods: A circumscribed central composite statistical design with 2 factors, 5 levels, and 13 runs was selected for the study. According to that influence of both in interaction was measured by fluorescence intensity, UV absorbance, refractive index and optical rotation and were analyzed by the design expert software.
Results: It was observed that concentration of BSA alone was significantly affecting the fluorescence intensity and optical rotation of samples. Dox alone was having a significant effect on UV absorbance at 280 nm. In the case of a refractive index, both Dox and BSA were having a significant effect. But the effect of BSA was much pronounced than that of Dox on refractive index.
Conclusion: Interaction studies between BSA and Dox would be beneficial as they are commonly used in combination with tumor-targeted delivery. The interaction was observed that in a linear model for a wide range of concentration of both. So it will be useful to determine the interaction of unknown concentration.
2. Gomathi T, Govindarajan C, Rose HR MH, Sudha PN, Imran PK, Venkatesan J, et al. Studies on drug-polymer interaction, in vitro release and cytotoxicity from chitosan particles excipient. Int J Pharm 2014;468:214-22.
3. Ebrahimi A, Saffari M, Dehghani F, Langrish T. Incorporation of acetaminophen as an active pharmaceutical ingredient into porous lactose. Int J Pharm 2016;499:217-27.
4. Qu X, Yang C, Zhang J, Ding N, Lu Y, Huang L, et al. In vitro evaluation of a folate-bovine serum albumin-doxorubicin conjugate. J Drug Target 2010;18:351-61.
5. Huang H, Yang DP, Liu M, Wang X, Zhang Z, Zhou G, et al. pH-sensitive Au-BSA-DOX-FA nanocomposites for combined CT imaging and targeted drug delivery. Int J Nanomed 2017;12:2829-43.
6. Liu G, Tsai HI, Zeng X, Zuo Y, Tao W, Han J, et al. Phosphorylcholine-based stealthy nanocapsules enabling tumor microenvironment-responsive doxorubicin release for tumor suppression. Theranostics 2017;7:1192-203.
7. Aji Alex MR, Nehate C, Veeranarayanan S, Kumar DS, Kulshreshtha R, Koul V. Self assembled dual responsive micelles stabilized with protein for co-delivery of drug and si RNA in cancer therapy. Biomaterials 2017;133:94-106.
8. Fayed MH, Abdel-Rahman SI, Alanazi FK, Ahmed MO, Tawfeek HM, Al-Shdefat RI. New gentle-wing high-shear granulator: impact of processing variables on granules and tablets characteristics of high-drug loading formulation using design of experiment approach. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2017;43:1584-600.